wireless fence

zman

i have a dumb question. i am getting a choc. lab in about 1 month. he is going to be about 7 weeks old. i have been looking at the wireless fences has anybody got any exp. with them. i have never seen them but they look like a good set-up. the pup is going to be a family pet that goes camping with the family and they say you can take this thing along and it will work any where. also they say the dog has to know some commands like sit and stay. how hard is to train them to do this. i have never tried to train a dog to sit and stay,also i want he to fetch. any help is thankful. shane

sweatequity

chocolate lab (used)

I just got me a used lab today (6 months). Dont know much about the fence but I do know there is no substitute for time.

The secret is treats and repitition.

Keith48

I use one with a black lab that is about a year old now. They definitely need daily training for the first couple of weeks to learn about the boundaries. I do know someone that just put one up and said the dog would learn after it gets zapped a couple of times. It did work, but that thing really stings them. Better to teach them like it says in the intructions.

dbodkin

A story about my neighbors dog and the hidden fence..

She learned about the fence just a little too well. The one they had emitted a beep as the dog approached the boundaries. As the dog got closer the collar beep got louder and louder. I am sure a training aid so the dog would know they were about to get shocked. Well she would walk up until the thing started beeping pretty loud and just lay there until the collar batteries ran dead. :bounce: Then just explore the neighborhood :D I don't recall what type batteries were in them but it seemed like she would do this on weekends especially when they were away... Smart dog... ;)

NGaHunter

hidden fence

With a hidden fence you can keep your dog in your yard, but what about keeping other dogs out of your yard?? Thats the reason I put up a regular fence.

Darcy

You defnitely cannot put such a young dog on an electric fence system. All that it will teach him at such a young age is to be afraid to be outside because he will not associate the shock with a boundry. There are great instructions that come with the electric fence system that might recommend an age/weight for you to start. Use the white flags supplied and train the dog to stay a safe distance away from them.

An electric fence is something that takes a lot of training and patience. I would recommend setting up a temporary pen in your yard to keep it safe from escape and other animals outside.

Is this your first lab?

A great resource for training and maintaining Labs is
www.lab-retriever.net

It is a forum set up exactly like this one and the people are just as nice. They will definitely be able to answer any questions you have about your new puppy, and may also suggest how to train your dog to go on outings, as many of the members take their pets camping. Also, there is a great training section with lots of advice to help you teach your dog what he needs to know!

Good luck!

zman

thanks for the info everybody. this will be my first lab. darcy i have a pen until he gets bigger. i have always wanted a lab for a buddy and am looking forward to getting one, my kids can't wait for we have everyhing already lined up. name and everything. i will check out the website darcy and thanks for the info. shane

fasn8nmom

My mom used to keep her Doberman in an invisible fence and it worked great. The only time they really had any trouble was when there was a dog in heat somewhere in the neighborhood then Bay would just bolt right through. I guess some things are worth the shock!

Darcy

the same thing happens at our house. Tank is a very large dog with what must be a very high tolerance for pain...He has been on the thing for almost 1 1/2 yrs and every so often he will take off running and not only pass through the electric fence, but will jump over the chain link 2 feet beyond it. you definitely need to keep a check on the batteries, especially if there is no 'real' fence around the dog.

i guess the grass must be nicer on the other side, because he tends to stay in the neighbor's fence, but not his own.