how high do you hunt???

Swamprat

Swamprat
some of you all are making my ears pop and my nose bleed :speechles

on average i hunt 18 - 25' up. there have been occasions that i have gone to about 35 feet to cover clearcuts or small pines.

H

HT2

Mikel......

Bow season......

I'd say I average 18-22 foot high.......

Rifle season........

Depends on where I'm huntin'.........

Anywhere from 20 feet to 40 feet...... :eek:

Dough

Height

I try to get to the lower limbs to break my outline, still allowing me to see and shoot. If I climb a pine and there's smaller trees near it, I use the other trees to hide.

I've got a 50 foot piece of rope to hoistmy pack and gun and sometimes I go until I feel it tight, just depends on how far I'm trying to see.

Steady73

:type: It depends on the terrain and cover, I try to stay around 30' with my climber.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
Delton.........

Delton said:
72' high??? I often wondered Coondawg, but now I'm sure of it... you ARE Crazy! :banginghe How in the world could you sit that high and enjoy a hunt? I'd be worrying the whole time I was there! :speechles

And if the wind blew? God help me... :eek:
well, ya can see a lot of stuff that high!!!.............I have one stand, 64 feet, that only one other person I know will hunt.....Danny Colquitt of Comer...............it's not the height, but the tree isn't real big...........sways so much I won't even climb it if the wind is over 15 mph.LOL..........Rapidfire has seen the 55 footer.........ask him how big it is.LOL :bounce:

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
Slasher,.......

all my really high stands are permanent stands..........you are welcome to come and see them ................as soon as deer season ends. :) :)..................ps----above 50 feet, sleep NEVER enters my mind.LOL :bounce: :bounce:

Last edited:

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Bow hunting I'm usually somewhere between 15 to 25 feet off the ground.

Gun hunting dependent on the situation and the weather conditions I could be anywhere from ground zero all the way up to 60 to 70 feet or more.

It does get a little lonely at the top... :D

Redneck Maguiver

:rofl: I never hunt high. It clouds your judgement.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

merc123

Rangefinder said 20 yards one time and 100 feet of "pull up" rope... I almost used my entire pull up rope in a tall pine one time.

nmurph

i have limbed one particular longlef pine that i have had good luck out of, up to where the foot part of my climber is at 44 ft. (measured) i can't get the stand all the way to the bottom, so i have a section of ladder to get me on to the climber, and it is an API grand slam magnum. the tree sits on the side of a hill in the highest area of the county (thats relative, its SE GA). it over looks a bottom area that is impossible to walk through. i have only left a few limbs at the top, so light winds do not bother me. on cold, still mornings, i can see the steam coming from the nuclear plant that is 25 miles away. watching God wake up another day from that stand on opening morning makes all of my other worries go away.

Xzuatl

Allen Waters

I'm not calling anyone a liar, but I don't think anyone on here hunts over 40-45 ft, unless it's in some kind of fire tower type set up. I bowhunt at 15-20' and I will rifle hunt as high as 30-35' and a couple of times as high as 40'.

totally possible.. think of 72 feet as 24 yards, then look at a big oak and think if it fell the distance it would cover. we had a stand in a huge oak in a cutover. it was so high we actually had a landing halfway up to rest at:bounce:, i'll guarantee it was a least 60 feet high, wish i had thought to range the ground straight down.

BubbaD

Higher than my wife care to know. What ever it is I deduct 10-15 feet when I report in :bounce:

On average between 12-20 for bow and 25 - 30 for gun with an occasional 40-45 if the spot/tree is right

jneil

About 125 feet at one of the spots I picked. It's a cliff that overlooks a creek.