So where's the deer?

gabowman

I've been hunting hard since the season opened and have only seen two deer from the stand. There's tracks and dropping everywhere I've hunted (two different places so far) but am not seeing deer. Is this the norm for the rest of you guys or am I not looking in the right places? Just curious...

GB

Duff

Butch,

I've only hunted once and saw a doe and two yearlings but I don't think very many deer are being seen as a whole. I noticed a few different buck track in my plot(nite I'm sure) I think they get to stirring after the rain.

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
It is still hot. They probably down by the creek banks or moving at night.

H

HT2

gb.....

Same here.....

It's "HOT" and I think that's got somethin' to do with it.......

It's early and the deer are movin' a good bit at night, I'd imagine.....

Patience Dude!!!!!!!! :D :D

Catfish369

My brother had been running threads accross the trails in the mornings and checking that same afternoon and then the next morning. They are moving at night....not a single thread has been found broken in the afternoon yet.

DanSmith

Banned
not ripe yet!

gabowman said:
I've been hunting hard since the season opened and have only seen two deer from the stand. There's tracks and dropping everywhere I've hunted (two different places so far) but am not seeing deer. Is this the norm for the rest of you guys or am I not looking in the right places? Just curious...

GB
I tell every one this year don't waht to pick the deer . they ain't ripe yet!!

wildlands

I hunted hard Saturday and Monday and only saw a yearling button buck, I was hunting around a large area covered in muscadines.

DoDahDaze

It's funny but I've been seeing deer mid-afternoon in Cherokee County by my house but not down in Hancock County. :confused:

Trizey

Opening morning I saw 2 does and a yearling, didn't quite come close enough.
Opening evening didn't see a thang until we walked out into the field on the way back to the truck.
Sunday evening had six coming down the trail until they realized the dogs that were asleep under my dad's stand. Man, you talk about being upset, my father was hot. :mad: These puppies picked up our scent and went straight to each one of our trees, but only stayed at my dad's stand. Three of the six deer went behind me too fast for a shot and the other three stayed back. I couldn't see the three that stayed, but my father said they were bigger than the first three.
Right now it's just too hot and they don't seem to be moving but at dawn and dusk.

dbone

Outdoor Cafe Moderator
In Wilkes Co at 7:20 am Saturday I had three does walk out within 20 yards of my climber but I couldn't find a window through the limbs so I let em walk later that day I saw a 4 pointer and a doe at the woods edge while I was fishing , The other two guys in my club saw deer but they were out of range for a shot , So in Wilkes Co. go real early well before light and for an afternoon hunt go in about 6:30 -------- Wilkes is on fire :clap:

AWirt

I hunted Sat, Sun, and Mon, and only saw a couple of deer(all yearlings). Got busted by a deer opening morning after I decided to put some bugspray on at about 8:00am(I was getting eaten up) 5 minutes after I put the deet on my hands and ears a deer started blowing from thick cover no more than 50 yards from my stand.

The woods are like a grocery store right now. With all of the Muscadines, Crabapples, Acorns, Persimmons, ect. around right now I don't think the deer have to move much...our sightings were down.

whitworth

I never found early season to be easy season. I spent seven hours in the treestand yesterday over a food area and not one deer. Lots of food and not enough reason for the deer to move far or often.

mpowell

food plots or acorns

those will work. just have to be there. i've been hunting 5 times and seen deer on two occassions--both times they were in food (sunflowers and corn) and both times i started seeing deer around 6:45.

S.Dailey

Hunted all weekend in Pickens county with no luck. It was real cool both mornings but the wind got up also. My hunting buddy took a shot at some deer right at last light Sat. afternoon with no luck. Our plots are literally stomped full of tracks. We hunted both mornings until lunch with no luck. Apparently the deer are moving at night. :(

RThomas

I've had the same luck as everyone else. I've gotten a deer every opening weekend for the last few years. But not only did I not get a deer last weekend, I didn't even see one in the woods. Saw several while crossing fields after leaving the stand in the evenings, but nothing in the woods. Lots of acorns on the ground, but they weren't bringing in the deer. The persimmon haven't started falling yet.
Three weeks ago I saw 21 deer while sitting in an observatory stand, and there were tracks every where. Now, nothing. Things can only get better.

Murdock

I have hunted four times since the season began and have not seen a single deer. I saw several from an observation point before the season opened, but no deer yet. Maybe they are afraid of IVAN?????
murdock

mpowell

the last one i saw

is in a cooler at tom borck's house! thank the lord.

we've been seeing deer consistently in screven county. i finally had the right opportunity last night to take a doe who didn't have yearlings tagging along. that was what i was looking for.

now, if i can just get one with an outstanding rack to pop out . . .