Home-made Wine?

Handgunner

There was a recipe on here a while back that some of y'all were talking about. And the stuff needed to make it.

Seems like it was two 5 gallon water bottles, and such...

Anyone remember and willing to share their recipe? I'd like to try it I think...

Briar

GONetwork Member
Wine Recipe

Yes there was a wine recipe on here and here it is , by the way mine will be done hopefully in a week or two .

A little more than a gallon of Scuppernones (muscadines)
3 gallons of distilled water
8 pounds sugar
1 pkg of active yeast (not fast rising)

crush scups put in water sugar and yeast mix together and let work off until it quits foaming and bubbling , then siphon off through double layer of cheese cloth into your bottles . I'm feeling like this :whip: until mine is done !! :D . Also Kansashunter here at woody's helped me thru E-mails . This is my first batch . Search Scuppernones or wine and you can see the pic. he posted . He used two 5 gallon drinking water bottles .

Last edited:
Want more kick?

Wow! I basicly messed up my first batch. Everyone told me the alcohol came from the sugar. So insted of following the recipe. I added 13 lbs of sugar insted of 5 lb. Well you guessed it. man was it sweet. Well I gave several bottles away and the same kept coming back TOO SWEET!
My wife said throw it away. I decided I would try to rework it. I went out and bought 6 more pounds of grapes. Poured all the TOO SWEET wine back in and let it work again. Well last Friday I took it off. WOW. The sweet is gone. But they were right. It is packing some kind pf power. I don't know what proof it is. But it is up there. Great tasting and smooth a little dry. But watch out. It will flip your lid if your not careful.:speechles
I now have some apple working off. Oh by the way. I'm not really a wine drinker. But it sure is fun making it. :D

Handgunner

Will a gallon of grapes work? I don't think I can find any scuppernongs right now, but will look.

A couple questions...

1. Where's the easiest place to get the drinkin' water bottles for the burping?

2. How far down into each bottle does the hose need to be? As close to the bottom as possible? Doesn't matter as long as it's under the water? Or in the "mash bucket" above the liquid level and in the "burping bucket" below water level?

3. Do the lids on each bottle need to be sealed?

4. Is this something you can do in your house? Does it stink?

5. How do you know when it's done, and are you supposed to stir, shake, etc, any of it while doing it?

I'm not much a drinker at all, but while bear hunting in Canada years ago the guide had some homemade grape wine and it was good! I'm just wanting something to tinker with and bring back memories.

So how about it? Any tips, suggestions, more pictures, more recipes, etc???

Briar

GONetwork Member
It does not smell but it draws small flying bugs (gnats ) that will get into it if it is not protected . It does not draw lots of these critters but one in the mix is to many . I'm working mine off in my kitchen . I went to walmart and bought a five gallon bucket and a lid that seals airtight then drilled a hole and stubed out a small pvc pipe and glued the pipe in with epoxy then over the top of the pvc stub I put a double layer of cloth and rubberbanded it really tight . You basically need a way to keep out the bug but still let it breath to work off . After you mix it you do nothing until you siphon it off after it stops working .Be sure and pour boiling water over everything that comes into contact with the mix . If you don't keep it really clean it will mold. The recipe I'm following came from a Field and Stream magazine a month or so ago . You can also use grapes I think .Muscadines are nothing but highly acidic grapes that happen to be free if you have a vine . When it quits bubbling and foaming wait 2 days then siphon it off . :bounce:

Last edited:

specialk

invest in a simple wine making kit. i paid like 50.00 for mine a few years back. it came w/ everything needed(air cock, siphoning tube, corker, yeast, bucket,hydrometer, yeast inhibitor, etc.) to make wine by 5 gals. batches. go online and google wine making supplies and you will find one. i bought mine on pharr rd in atl. but they are out of biz now. there is one in fayetteville i think. once you make a few batches you will get the hang of it on amounts of fruit you need. one thing i have found though is to think large. some batches will turn out bad and will find its way down the sink drain. but some will be goooooood!. when you make a batch that is good you want to be sure to have gals. and gals. remember good wine is not made overnight...let it work for 6 mos. or more if you can stand it before bottling it. try different stuff too. one year watermellons were plentiful and cheap and i made like 10 gals. and man was that stuff good!! good luck with it and let us know how it turns out........

ps
my wife found some new wine bottles cheap at the pottery in commerce. always keep your eyes peeled for wine/whiskey bottles.

Handgunner

Thanks y'all. I see what I can come up with. :)

Thanks for the tips!

leadoff

GONetwork Member
I know a recipe for spodee-odee-wine!!! :D :bounce: :)

shotgun

Delton

Let me answer question #5 Do you shake it up!!
When I was growing up being a boy of mischief I was going to make some peach brandy living close to a peach orchard. So i fixed me some peaches in a jar with sugar and hid it in the back of mama closet. Well a few weeks passed and I forgot about it until I saw it looking for something else. Well it wasn't working fast enough for me so I shook it real good and hid it agin in the closet. a few hours passed and a sound went off like a shotgun right about supper time. Everybody looked and wondered what that was. I didn't even think about the Brandy! Well when mama open her closet later that evening that was a sticky surgar liquid all over the closet all over her clothes, shores and HATS mama loved her Hats. To this day that was the worst whipping I ever got. so the answer to question 5 is NO!!!

Handgunner

Shotgun, thanks for the advice! :D I sure don't need that to happen -- the wife would have me hung before sunset. ;)

You could use 5 gallon buckets.
Get hot glue gun and afix your hose through the top. In the mash container do not submerge. Just put it close to the top as to let off gases. Other end of hose can go in a mason jar. Just make sure end is under water.
I usually boil my jars/bottles and fill them while they are still hot. They seal.
I do it in my house. But with winter coming and heaters. Look for a cool place to do it.
The water helps filtering the smell.
No stiring needed.

Hey Dalton we need to get together and have a few sips along with a couple of Romeo and Juliets.:D

Last edited:

CAL

Delton,
Years ago I helped a cousin make 50 gallons of blackberry,scupponong,and muscadine.For each gallon we used 1qt.berries,2cups sugar,and a yeast cake.Fill the gallon jug to the top with water.Well,it was quite an adventure.We strained the wine when we thought it was through working and bottled it up.Sealed each bottle with a cork and wax.We used pint and quart bottles so you can imagine how many it was!Lined them up in a spare closet.

They were not through working as we found out a few days later when they begin to explode!Couldn't go to my aunts house for quite a while!She just wouldn't understand.Tried to tell her I was just helping.Still wouldn't understand!!! :banginghe ::ke:

Handgunner

Thanks guys,

I'll try to get around to doing this soon as I can.. Right now things have been sort of busy on the homefront. :)

Lostoutlaw

Delton

Ya'll sound like a bunch o wino's on here tonight:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: