should i be worried

doedoe

I am new to hunting and was wondering if i should be worried about coyotes
or anything else while in the woods by myself walking to and from my stand.thanks

stumpman

Banned
The only thing to worry about with a cyotis if ya killed him or not and if not shoot again the only thing id worry about is running up on a momma pig with some babbies and getting her mad that wouldnt be fun in the dark if you use a light i wouldnt worry about a thing.

fasn8nmom

I have never had an encounter with a coyote, but my husband and I went hunting in Mississippi a couple of years ago on a guided hunt; The second evening hunt I stayed on the stand until it was dark, very dark. I started hearing those coyotes started howling and it sounded like they were between me and the truck! :eek:
The rule was you HAD to unload before coming out of the woods :confused:
Needless to say I didn't :p . I RAN all the way to the truck and the guide that was picking me up. He laughed like h*ll when he saw me coming up the trail :bounce: It was funny after it was all over with. That was my first year hunting too and I was skeered!

leadoff

GONetwork Member
I would venture to say that most of us here at Woody's have never been attacked by anything in the woods while walking to and from our stands. That is not to say that it can't happen. The woods and animals are wild and demand respect, though, not fear. I have walked up on bobcats, rattlesnakes, hogs, panthers :)bounce: - JK :bounce: )... Most of the time the animals are afraid of you, know you are stomping through the woods, and try their best to avoid you. Flashlight is probably the best "protection." I do carry a .45 on my side each time I walk in the woods, mainly for a sense of security. Like stumpman said, I would worry more about getting between a mama hog and her babies than a coyote.

stumpman

Banned
Leadoff thats not true where i live theres a lot of swamps and we get attacked everytime we go to the stand these mosquitos eat us up but thank god for the thermacell.

stumpman

Banned
be carefull dragging a deer p rag we had some wild dogs followed a friend of mine to his stand after the deer p smell i guess.

sniper13

Haints

:speechles ::gone:
I hate it when they get after me. Ya cain't kill 'em, just out run them!!! :eek:

Handgunner

When I first started hunting years ago, on this very farm. It got too dark to see, so I started my way down the ladderstand. I had just turned around and took one step down when a coyote started yipping... then another, and another. All around me. I was scared, .308 in tow or not.

Dad came got me that evening, and later explained that the coyotes were nothing to worry about. He was right, and I have yet to be attacked by one.

The only thing I would warn you about while hunting is these things.

1. Mosquito's/Gnats
2. Snakes
3. Other Hunters!

Other than that, I'd say you're pretty safe.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
More hunters are injured or killed from climbing trees or falling from tree stands than anything else. Always make sure you wear a safety belt, wear your orange when gun hunting and identify your target. If you do all that you should be fine, though a pair of snake boots wouldn't hurt either especially when bow hunting or during early season scouting.

letsgohuntin

dogs

I have heard of wild dogs / abandoned dogs being aggressive although they are rare... especially the black ones :bounce:

I've agree with the hogs... if you don't have pigs you are 99.9% safe.

gabowman

Coyotes keep their distances and you'll likely not even see those, just hear 'em. The one thing I'd worry about and keep a keen eye out for would be snakes while it's warm. Last Saturday morning I ran over one in my truck about a mile up the dirt road from the hunting land. Those things could put a nasty bite on ya.

GB

GeauxLSU

Just hunt

Since you asked, I was hunting on the GROUND last year and a coyote stalked up to within 10-15 feet behind (and downwind) of me. No doubt in my mind he had breakfast on his mind and I believe he had a few friends in tow. When I turned and spotted him he ran a few feet and then stopped behind some brush. It was his last mistake. There is a story in this month's GON about a runner being attacked and guy got attacked last year as well (which they also ran the story on). I'm sure there's been a few more but when you consider the amount of hunters and the amount of days spent in the woods in Georgia, a coyote attack is probably the LAST thing you should be thinking about and I'd venture to say more hunters are struck by lighting. If you're asking about critters specifically, then yes, snakes, surprised momma hogs, and wild dogs are a slight[/B} but real potential problem. As has been mentioned, non critter problems are statistically a MUCH bigger safety issue.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

leadoff

GONetwork Member
stumpman, Forgot about those skeeters!

Some folks have no worries getting in and out of the woods. It's when they get home they start worrying about a wife attack!!!

:whip: :eek: :whip:

Handgunner

Leadoff,

I've only been attacked by the wife one time upon coming back home. Since then, I've pretty much done as she's said... :eek: