Okuma reels?

Cletus T.

I bought one a year or so ago and for me personally I didn’t like it. It just didn’t like the feel of it. It was real clunky and not smooth at all. I bought my at Hammonds and they gladly took it back and I got a Quantum High Energy Reel (I have a couple of these and for me…..I feel more comfortable with them) They are a great company though and I have buddies who love their Okuma reels……to each their own! I know a lot of West Coast guys are Okuma guys!

On the flipside though…….I have a split grip Okuma baitcasting rod that I LOVE!!!!

Hope this helps!

Chris S.

Junk...............they cast a mile but they reel like junk........clutch went out in first one,took it back and the same with the replacement.Their rods are a different story..........good stuff and well made.

Last edited:

JCarroll696

I ran across a deal I just could not pass up I bought three okuma FI225 and two okuma baitcasting rods for 130. They are all brand new still in plastic. They seem to reel very smooth BC I took them all out of box and checked them out very well. My Garcia messed up and BPS is a long way away and I got a torney tomorrow so I just went ahead and got them. I was just wanting to know alittle more about them. Thnks yall

Chris S.

I ran across a deal I just could not pass up I bought three okuma FI225 and two okuma baitcasting rods for 130. They are all brand new still in plastic. They seem to reel very smooth BC I took them all out of box and checked them out very well. My Garcia messed up and BPS is a long way away and I got a torney tomorrow so I just went ahead and got them. I was just wanting to know alittle more about them. Thnks yall

They reel smooth till you catch a few fish on em and put a load on em and cast em a couple hundred times.......then it happens:pop:......you may have gotten a better model than I did............are they black in color and shaped like the Bps pro Qualif??If so, go ahead and take em back.

I bought mine for topwater and lighter weight lures and the clutch still went out.............oh yeah ,the ceramic guide in the level wind also trys to slide out out of em.Atleast they did on mine.Nevertheless, hope you have better luck with them.

JCarroll696

No mine are silver in color and shaped like the gracia ambassador reels. thank you for all your Input and yes I do hope I have better luck with mine than you did. Again thank you for telling me alittle about them.

jmfauver

I have about 7 Okuma reels and love them all....I use mine alot and break them down about once a month weither they need it or not...I do this with all my reels and I guess that is why I still have a few Diawa 4000c and 7000c reels.....

badkarma

I had one of the spinning reels. It was good for about 6 months then gave out. It become hard to crank even after cleaning and oiling. Finally the handle broke off during a tournament. Won't buy another one.

Arrow3

I have a spinning reel....Its been good so far..(2 years)

Chris S.

I have about 7 Okuma reels and love them all....I use mine alot and break them down about once a month weither they need it or not...I do this with all my reels and I guess that is why I still have a few Diawa 4000c and 7000c reels.....

I hear ya,I fish with abu 5000's/5500c3's that are 25+ years old and 5 lews bb1's that are just as old...cast a mile and smooth reeling because I tear em down and polish the gears and completely change out the bearings,pawls, worm gears, IF they happen to need it every now and then.

I fish hard and am very demanding on my gear......has to be built tough,no junk.The 2 identical okumas I bought were junk.

Been properly maintaining reels and rods since I was the ripe old age of around 10 I guess.I'll let you in on a lil' secret....rinse your reels off good with the garden hose after every trip and a tiny drop of oil on the shaft bearings every other trip,You certainly wont have to clean em every month unless of course you just like to do it.

jason t garrett

like em. i've had the small bass reels and they last 2-3 seasons..$40 CANT BEAT EM. THE LARGER ONES FOR STRIPERS DONT HOLD MUCH LINE.YOU CAN SPEND WHAT YOU WANT TO BUT IF YOU ARE ON A BUDGET,YOU CANT BEAT IT

kikkup

I have four spinning reels, Imo best reels I ever fished with, even better than my pfluegers and fenwicks ..... And with a little tuning the baitcasters are ok.......

vowell462

Ive had one of the small spinning reels for a couple years and i love it. Only one i own though.

charliecfh

I bought an Okuma spinning reel in seven years ago and it still works great. I bought another one last year and it has served me well so far.

T-Boy

I love Okuma spinning reels for the money. One thing missing in these posts is which Okuma model reels did everyone buy.

There are some cheapo Okuma's and some good ones.

The Epixor which you can find on ebay for about $50 is a very good reel.

You can get it in all sizes. I use the 30 for bass and the 55 size for Kings and the 65 for anything larger.

The cheaper Stinson ( I have one) does rattle a little and is not as tight.

The ebay deals on the Epixor or Salina are good values for me.