Thermacell

mpowell

love mine

i bought one at the end of last season but didn't get a chance to use it. this weekend, i cranked it up for the first time and it worked like a charm.

i haven't heard of anyone saying they spooked deer due to the scent. using it during the day i didn't realize just how much repellent was being put in the air until i got ready to get out of my stand last night. i turned on my headlamp and there was a very faint misty, smoke (almost hate to call it smoke it was so faint) all around me you could see in the light!

broadhead, from this forum, said the mats can evaporate some and lose their potency so i take my mats out and place them in a ziplock bag to keep them. don't know if this helps but it sure isn't going to hurt.

after using it this weekend, i wouldn't be in the woods without it again! leaving it behind would be like leaving my arrows at home. matter of fact, i went ahead and spent $50 last night online purchasing a "summer pack" that comes with 10 butane refills and 30 mats. that should last me all season. if anyone has an interest in the summer pack they should check out the thermacell web site. if you know you're going to use it, you might as well buy in bulk and save a couple of bucks.

has anyone tried the thermascent? same concept and look as thermacell but you use it to heat up scent pads you put your favorite attractant on.

Meriwether Mike

They work and I have not seen a deer spooked by mine yet. I had a five point buck come within ten yards of me yesterday evening and he was not bothered. The wind was also right for the direction he was in as well.

mpowell

you could do that

i have heard of someone doing that before. using old mats in their thermacell.

the thermascent has a little different set up. it's very similar but not quite the same design as the thermacell. you'd have to buy another one anyway even if you wanted to use old mats so i figured you might as well buy the thermascent.

i was just wondering if anyone had bought one and tried it out.

Clint-06

Always use mine, even when ground hunting. Sat in a swamp opening morning and did not get bit once! Had two does come in at 10 yards, never knew I was there (until I shot the big one that is! :D )

I agree, the best gaget I ever bought!

Clint-06

Sandman619

I've had deer all around me with my thermacell on, I havent noticed that they notice the smell at all. But it shore does a number on them skeeters!

HuntinMan

Where can you get one of these. I was covered in skeeters all day Saturday. It was way to hot for bug suit. Sounds liket hey work well and don't spook the deer. I think it is worth the try. :clap: :clap:

Meriwether Mike

I got mine at Wal Mart. You can also do an on line search and purchase them over the internet.

Sounds like everyone is happy with this product. I had mine with me but just didn't use it as stated. I do plan on trying it this weekend since i got ate up by chiggers anyway.

Huttinman, B*** Pro has them at the check outs with refills close by too. Dont forget if you run out of the fuel before pads to get the refills for the curling irons in the beauty area of walmart. Walmart also has them if they have a decent hunting section. Havent seen them in the sporting goods section of the one in tucker yet.

gabowman

Since deer season opened I have waited for the skeeters to start buzzing before lighting mine. In 5-10 miniutes the skeeters are gone and the afternoons especially have been bug free, which is something that I'll have to get used to. :D

The thermacell is a neat gadget that I'd rank as a #1. I plan on using mine as long as the skeeters are buzzing.

Has anyone successfully tried recharging the scent pads with anything since the butane cartridges can be bought seperately? Just curious...

GB

jeepguru

I had a doe cruise through opening morning and she didn't smell a thing. Another guy at our camp had his at the base of the tree and he had a button buck 12 yds away from it and he never reacted. Either way it can't smell any worse than deet, which you can smell in your clothes the next day. I'll never bowhunt without one now. During my Sunday morning hunt I turned it on with only about three hours of use left on the card. Sure enough I heard a buzz and looked at my watch, almost exactly three hours. Changed out the card and enjoyed skeeter free hunting for the next two hours. :)

Dub

Ah....the beloved Thermocell, one of this countries greatest inventions.

shadow2

They are great...I would not go to the woods during skeeter season without one.