Seed drill

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
What is the difference between a seed drill and a planter. I have a covington planter that needs some work and was just wondering if it does the same thing. Thanks

Robert

CAL

Robert,

Your covington planter is for one row.A seed drill is a wide implement with many openings.They start about 6 ft.wide and go up to how ever big your pocket book is.Wheat,rye,oats,grain sorghum,soybeans....all these can and are planted with a drill.A 6 ft.drill would be nice to plant food plots with.

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
Do they work the same as a planter? Mine is a two row planter and is set up for corn, but has other disks or gears for other stuff.

SWAMPFOX

Seed Drill

A seed drill is better at planting smaller seeds such as clovers and brassicas because the slots in the plates are smaller. And as was mentioned, they plant more than one row at a time. And they are expensive compared to a one or two row planter. That's as much as I know. There are some folks here more knowledgable than me who may check in with more details.

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
Many rows close together, a six foot drill would plant about 12 to 15 rows. They are usually every 2-3 up to 6 inch rows and not 2-3 feet.

CAL

Robert,

A drill is a planter but a different kind.Your covington is two one row covington planters on a tool bar.A drill is self contained with many openers usually 6 - 8 ins.apart.I forgot to mention a drill usually plants seed very shallow,generally 1-1 1/2 inches deep where your planter can plant as deep as 3 ins.which is generally the depth peanuts are planted.The two planters(drill and one row) both do the same thing(planting).
Note,your covington planters are very desireable with folks who plant a large garden,say 1-2 acres.They are very slow planters and very presist when set up correct and operated correct.The seed hoppers are small and very desireable for garden seed if you have all the plates and cogs which will allow for different seed spacing in the row with different size seed.Most times the covington planters are left in the weather and the hoppers will rust through.