Opening day doe

roadkill

Me and my son Wesley, my favorite hunting partner, and the doe I killed opening morning.
original.jpg

roadkill

Wesley was on the same trail about 50 yds away. I could see him, but he couldn't see the deer. There was a lot of thick undergrowth between me and him. When I went to get him to help find the deer, he asked, did you get him, how many points did he have? I told him it was a doe, and he said it sounded like I hit a tree. I think he was just as excited that he heard the shot as I was at making it. She was quartering toward me at about 20 yds when I shot. I hit her behind the right shoulder. The wound in the picture is the exit wound. It was pouring down rain when I shot her, there was no blood trail. I knew it was a good hit because, I could see blood running down her side as she ran off. She ran about 150 yds through a swamp and into a stand of planted pines. We just followed the trail she was on and found her. I was very relieved when we found her, I just knew she was lost because there was no blood to follow. A prayer or two for thanks and guidance helped find her. ::;

Thanks Jim for the help posting the picture.

Last edited:

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Great looking pic roadkill

Mighty big grin on that youngsters face :clap:

leo

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Congrats on both the doe and the tracking job!

Great picture also!

That opening day will certainly go down in the old memory books... :clap:

Hoss

Good Doe

Glad you had your best hunting partner with you. Makes great strories to remember.

Hoss

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
I take my son with me also. I always fear that me getting a deer and not him woiuld make him mad but it looks like your son enjoyed it as much as you. Great picture and you are a great outdoorsman for passing on your love of the outdooors. We all need to do that.

Robert

nchunter

great job roadkill! ;)

roadkill

Thanks for the replys. I don't like even going to the woods without Wesley. I want him to have fond memories of time spent with me, like I do of my dad.
This doe actually came down an intersecting trail between me and Wesley, and turned and was going to go past me on her way to the swamp. I think she winded me, and was a little on edge. I couldn't let her get away. ;)
Wesley has done real good shooting in the back yard. It would make my season for him to get his first deer with a bow! Either way I'm still a proud daddy!

broadhead

Way to go

Great day! My daughter goes with me some each year. She has other interests too. This year will be her first year with a gun.

Havana Dude

Congrats

on whats looks to be some fine freezer meat. I love to take my son as well. He has just taken up the bow so it will be a while yet before he's ready to try and score. You will never regret takin that boy with ya. I enjoy mine more and more every year.

Handgunner

Way to go, Roadkill.

Nice looking doe and nice looking boy you have! Teach him all you can. :)

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
Great Job...

That's got to be a memory you and Wesley will cherish for many years to come :)

Eshad

Congratulations Roadkill! Looks like Wesley was tickled! :D :bounce: How old is Wesley, and what kind of bow does he shoot? My son is 11, and has been wanting a bow.

Al33

Mighty fine sir, mighty fine!

Having a son to hunt with like that has got to be an awesome thing.

Good to read you called on the Lord to help you out and gave appropriate thanks. :clap:

Congratulations on a job well done and a photo to treasure.

Al