I Hate Thieves!!!

Hunting Teacher

One of the guys on our property in south Laurens county just got back with bad news! Some scumbags have stolen two of our game cameras!!
Last year it was tree stands. We chained all our climbers to the trees and drilled the lock ons and ladders and used 6 inch lag screws to secure them to the trees. That seemed to deter the low life bottom feeders!
Now it's cameras. I thought about screwing the case to the tree, but being the slime that they are the *#%**#** would probably just rip the camera out of the casing even though it would be of no use to them!!
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to at least make it an effort for these parasites to take the cameras. Or do we just have to only put the cameras where they'll never be found?
Please God, let me catch them on our property just one time!!! :shoot: :shoot: :speechles
Teach

try

Doing a little camo to your camera. I used to cover the camera with camo cloth. You could walk right by it without seeing it. Dont just stick it to the side of tree. Placement is everything. Good luck.:mad: :shoot:

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
That's why I don't have a camera now, some low life stole mine last year. They probably stumbled up on it and got their picture took and decided it was best that they just stole the camera.

I feel for ya, though I have no real words of wisdom on how to protect them from theft.

I do hope you can catch who ever it is though.

gadeerwoman

But a fake camera shell on the tree and put a real game camera set to daytime mode only, no flash, in a tree to the back of the fake one and high up pointed downward. Camo it well with branches. Might just get a pix of them in the act of taking the fake one.

Darryl

Sorry for your loss, I can't imagine your anger. I hope you catch them. The only thing I can suggest is with your next camera, write down on a piece of paper something like. "If this film is being developed under a name other than (your name), the camera has been stolen." "Please contact me at....." Take a picture of your what you wrote and if the camera is stolen, hopefully they'll get the film developed.

Otherwise, if you live in a small town and don't have many places to take your film, see if they can be on the look out. ::huh:

Randy

If they want it, they will get it, but you might try this trick. Make up a sign that reads "Warning: Film Processor, if I have not told you about this first picture, you are processing film from a stolen camera. Please contact me at (insert your phone number) or the authorities immediately." Your first picture on the roll should be of this sign.

Now if a thief stills your camera his curiosity just might get the best of him and he just might take this film to a processor. If he does you have got him! It may not work but is worth a try!

There is no way I know of to stop a thief unless you catch tehm in the act!

Darrel beat me to it! I saw this on Archery.com

Rebel 3

Hunting Teacher,

I know how you feal. I had my opening morning stand stolen. I went to where it was and it was gone. It ruined my opening morning. Anybody tresspassing better hope I dont catch them. Saturday morning I think I could have made a tresspasser fear for his life if I found one. Anyone cuaght on my lease is in danger of a big country *** whooping or going to jail! :mad: :shoot:

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
I think we all have had something stolen from us in the woods. I had a buckshot bigshot stolen from me on family land in Spalding County. I do wish I had made a police report. The higher end stands and cameras have serial numbers on them and you never know. I have always believed what goes around comes around, so I hope the dirty thieving son of a guns get theirs in the end!!!

Robert

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Not only are they garbage...but they are most likely a hunter as well.

Wonder where we get our stereotypes.

Jim

DanSmith

Banned
Randy said:
If they want it, they will get it, but you might try this trick. Make up a sign that reads "Warning: Film Processor, if I have not told you about this first picture, you are processing film from a stolen camera. Please contact me at (insert your phone number) or the authorities immediately." Your first picture on the roll should be of this sign.

Now if a thief stills your camera his curiosity just might get the best of him and he just might take this film to a processor. If he does you have got him! It may not work but is worth a try!

There is no way I know of to stop a thief unless you catch tehm in the act!

this is a great idea ! this is the code I live by
Rebel_flag_blowing_in_the_wind.gif
this I hope says it all .. theifs you WILL GET a dose of this!!
Rebel_flag_blowing_in_the_wind.gif
!!!

gabowman

teach,

I feel your pain brother. There's not much lower life forms on earth than theives. I wished they all were caught no matter who they are. There's one thing that I know alot of us can say....we might not have much but what we do have we worked hard for and we got it honest.

GB

cowboyron

Every year we hear of hard working hunters getting ripped off by low life scum of the earth. This just burns my lower end. I myself have been fortunate and not had any of my hunting gear stolen. I have had other things stolen like a 44 magnum pistol and a Harley Davidson so I know what it feels like. :mad: :shoot:
Hunting teach sorry to here about your lose.

Sandman619

I had some jackleg shoot mine off the tree I had it on! I went to check on it there was only pieces and some empty buckshot shells,Only had 3 rolls of film run through it, I was hot, never wanted to choke somebody so bad in all my life :mad:

GeauxLSU

Think about it...

They are only two types of people doing this. One: 'hunters' (albeit scum bag piece of dog dung 'hunters') or two: basic thieves. Have you ever bought a 'used camera' from someone? If you buy something used and you do not feel 100% comfortable with how they originally got it, you are just as guilty in my book. I've passed on more than one 'great deal' in my life because I was suspicious of the goods origins. Take away the market and the activity will dry up. Won't stop the supposed 'hunter' from doing it but his day will come. He will stop by the wrong tree and the wrong time one morning....
Teach, gadeerwoman's idea was the only thing I could think of. I hope you get 'em. :mad:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
I Hate To Hear That...

If you need something I've got, just ask me for it, but don't just come and take it! Makes me feel less than preacherly whan that happens... :(

DanSmith

Banned
I agree

GeauxLSU said:
They are only two types of people doing this. One: 'hunters' (albeit scum bag piece of dog dung 'hunters') or two: basic thieves. Have you ever bought a 'used camera' from someone? If you buy something used and you do not feel 100% comfortable with how they originally got it, you are just as guilty in my book. I've passed on more than one 'great deal' in my life because I was suspicious of the goods origins. Take away the market and the activity will dry up. Won't stop the supposed 'hunter' from doing it but his day will come. He will stop by the wrong tree and the wrong time one morning....
Teach, gadeerwoman's idea was the only thing I could think of. I hope you get 'em. :mad:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil
good post! , part of this post is why I do not shop at walmart ==tool==

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
it wont be long, the trail cam manufacturers will be installing a lowjack in their cameras! Im sure that it would jack up the prices, but you cant put a price on catching a thief! I would pay good money to catch the people that have stolen things from me. even if I didnt get the stuff back. :shoot: :shoot:

Label Dawg

I feel for you brother....

We lease a small tract in Dawson County with a terrible poaching, trespassing, thieving problem. They are mostly teenagers that live close by with the attitude "my daddy & granddaddy always hunted in here so I will too"

Several years back a friend of mine had a climing stand stolen from the back of his ATV while he went to check out a new spot....he was gone for only 10 minutes!! :eek:

Two years ago my cousin had his climber stolen while he went to eat lunch...he was only gone for 4 hours!! :mad:

Last season I ran across three of them in their climbers on my way in one morning. I called the game warden on my cell phone and about an hour later he charged all three with trespassing....that's BOLD.

I could never steal someone else's personal property but one of the guys who hunts with us did....these kids were so bold they left a Summit climber @ the base of a tree and my friend stumbled across it one afternoon....he did leave a note: "Call me if you want your treestand back" :bounce: and left his phone number.
He never heard from them.

The game warden caught one kid hunting from a 4 wheeler on our property and didn't charge him....they went back to his house and confronted his parents. The Game Warden said he had the kid crying he was so scared and we all thought MAYBE these kids would stay away....that was three years ago!!

I have lost a loc-on stand (including the screw-in steps) and a buckshot 35 trail camera so far.

Any suggestions on how to deal with these scumbags ::huh: :banginghe