Question

johnbanks63

Anyone ever been to the pen in Quitman MS. Ive been told different stories about it and was wondering. Ive heard guys get alot of dogs killed in there. And also been told it is a very nice place. Plan on going there soon and was just wondering.Tks

fireretriever

Yep won there once or twice. You can get dogs killed there but good dogs should do fine. I had a friend of mine from Fla that couldn't bay his yellow dogs there. They would catch anything in that pen regardless of size or teeth. My pen dogs always liked that place but it is tough on woods dogs because the hogs there are used to being bayed and will really fight sometimes so you have to have tight dog that is quick on his feet and wants to stop on the back end. If you are using woods dogs that stop on the head or front you may have a problem. But that is the case in most pens.

johnbanks63

Thats what I was afraid of. Got a blue lacy that will catch anything not taking her. Also taking a pup and some older dogs. Worried bout my older dogs not being fast enough for pen hogs. I dont mind dogs getting cut a little but dont want to loose one in a pen. Tks for the info.

Its a pen..real hog dogs grown hog dogs should be in the woods, as that goes its a big pen with good hogs an bad spots they run an run an do fight..but for young dog n pup training ya can't beat it..you can keep your pups safe an inside a few hundred acres an keep busting the bays so they learn to bay. Its priceless for getting into place an watching what dog is doing what an so forth.

Jester896

Senior Clown
not sure where you are in MS...you will find a good one in Vancleve if you are looking for bay trials

johnbanks63

Well went to the pen and had a great time. Not really like your even in a pen except for the number of hogs. Hogs do run alot just like at the house. Got on alot and got to watch the dogs work a while instead of just rushing in. Had one dog get a few small cuts but nothing bad. Great guide and good fun.