bow vs. crossbow

I am having a hard time with this crossbow thing. Did I miss something. Can someone explain why a healthy hunter is allowed to use a crossbow with a scope during bow season but people that use black powder can't. They can by expensive muzzleloaders that group well at 200 yards and that is a primative gun???? The only people that should use a crossbow are the ones that are not able physically to draw a sufficient weight recurve or compound bow back. We are letting our society's lazy mentality take over our great sport. If you are a bow hunter great then bowhunt. All you able men out there that jumped on the crossbow bandwagon did the place where you bought them give you a camo skirt to go with it????? Step up to the plate and get the deer inside 20 yards then have to wait to draw. Go ahead and bash back I am ready..... If your not able to draw a bow do to physical reasons then by all means by one and use pin sights not scopes. Maybe for the lazy hunters we could start a club that has hitching post where you could have one tied up and waiting for you.

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
I regret that you have such a hard time with what other hunters CHOOSE to hunt with :confused:

I hope that you are always stationed in a state that allows you to hunt the way you want, and not let a "few" people dictate to you what you have to use because they do not want you to "do it your way". ;)

leo

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
This is going to be a good one. I am able bodied and I hunt with a crossbow. Last time I looked I wasn’t wearing a skirt. If they legalize scopes on muzzle loaders, I will use one of those also. My muzzle loader is an in-line CVA with fiber optic sights.
It is all about having fun. If you like to hunt with a recurve, go for it. Don’t bash me because I want to use the latest gear that is legal. If they make baiting legal, I will hunt over it. WE need to spend our efforts on getting more hunters in the woods, getting along with each other and making sure our grandchildren can hunt too. We fight too much among ourselves.

Robert

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Don't worry. I believe next year you will be allowed to use a scope on your muzzleloader as well.

That should make you happy!

Phil? Surely such a purist would not use a recurve! I'd bet he cut his own longbow from a hickory! ::huh:

GeauxLSU

You think anyone has ever used ESP to kill a deer?

Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
I told you all this was going to be a good one. Something to do on a rainy day I guess

I just wante dto see the replies. I hunt with a compound. I will occasionally pick up a gun. Last year was the first time in 15 years. Just wanted to get everyone going. I am not downing anyone for their choice of hunting. I am in full support of all humane legal hunters. The only hunters that I bash are the ones that choose not to learn how to safely and humanely harvest the animals in which they hunt. Please to all don't think less of me just wanted to see the hair rising a little. Good luck to all this year.

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY

I didi read it and want to see what everyone thinks. I did not say that I disagree with the ones that are not able. I agree that they should use on if they want. I also do not buy that some people had no time to practice to be profivient with a compound. That is an excuse just llike or society. A lot of people spend more time looking for excuses why not vs. why. If you don't practice with either then you will not be any good. As for added a scope to add 10 yards that is a farsce as well. When you start looking through the scope at a deer at 40 yards it looks much much closer. You have to realize that it is a proven FACT that a crossbow does not have the penetration that a standard aroow has. If you can't take out the lungs then you should not shoot it.

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
I am for scopes on muzzleloaders because I can shoot one better with a scope on it. This will allow me to take deer more humanly. We can now shoot 12 deer in this state. It seems like there is a push for us to thin out the deer herd. Why not make scopes legal on smoke poles? Would it get more hunters in the woods? I am sure that will be debated here but I think it will. I guarantee you there are more bow hunters in the woods since the crossbow was mage legal. I am not necessarily for hunting over bait, but if it were legal, I would.

Robert

Ps. How about a spell checker on here. I can't spell and am tired of cutting back and forth to my word processor.

Last edited:

Arrow Flinger

Highcountry is responding to a post I made before I read his reply as to the real reason he started the tread. After I read his reasoning, I deleted my post.

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
Explain to me how a lighter, faster arrow or bolt doesn’t have the penetration that a bow has. I don’t get it.

Robert

GeauxLSU

Robert Sowell said:
Explain to me how a lighter, faster arrow or bolt doesn’t have the penetration that a bow has. I don’t get it.
Robert
I would assume the same reason a bullet doesn't? ::huh:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
I still don’t understand, I think you are wrong. There are a lot of pictures from opening day on here to prove you wrong. I am however tired of arguing about it. Robert

Handgunner

GeauxLSU said:
I would assume the same reason a bullet doesn't? ::huh:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

That sir, would be a safe assumption. IMO.

Handgunner

Robert...

Take a .223 40gr bullet and say a 30-06 180gr bullet. Which one do you think is going to penetrate better on the shoulder of a Canadian whitetail?

Same thing with a full length heavier arrow, versus a shorter, lighter bolt from a crossbow.

If the shot is in the lungs however, either way you still have a dead deer.

FootLongDawg

Lazy & proud of it. No skirt however. By the way, go fly a kite. Make sure it is a crude kite though. Wire, no string. Would not want to make easy for you :mad:

dbodkin

I cant hit the ole barn door with ANY bow... So I dont bow hunt ::huh: I would have to snare the deer with the string and stab it with an arrow. ;)

Randy

Can I weigh in on this? Remember this is my opinion only but.......

I think gun season should be for firearms and bow seasons should be for bows. Personally I don't even agree with seperate seasons but that's the way it is.

As for crossbows well they don't really fit either season. But they are held like a gun, fired like a gun and they are closer to a firearm in action and accuracy than a bow so I think that is where they belong. I feel sorry for those who can't pull a bow but you still have gun season. I mean what if I have a handicap and can not take the recoil of a rifle? Can I get a tank season?

How far do we divide this stuff up? Let's have one season and you use what you want or we could have a firearm season and a bow season but all this primitive seasons, crossbow stuff is getting to be too much.

Can I get a 7mm-08 season?