Another Heard County Bruiser!!

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Hi Jason, glad to see you joined us.

If you want that mount to look great and get it back in a hurry also you need to let ole Woody mount that baby for you. He does some fantastic work and is reasonbly priced as well.

Congrats again!

SOD

Good Buck, Did both of those Heard bucks posted on different posts come off the same club?

What do you think he would score?

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
SOD,

The one in Mike's aka Southern Steel's avatar and this one were both taken off the same club this year in Heard. I'd say Jason's 10-pointer would score somewhere around 120 to 125 B&C just as a rough estimate. I'm not sure what Mike's 9-pointer would score off hand. There's several more goodun's running the property and I hope to get after them this weekend... :bounce:

Btw, Jim Thompson's buck was shot off a different Heard County club, though their club's only about 5 miles or so from us.

Last edited:

Jason

And now Paul Harvey's the rest of the story...

Actually there isn't much more, but I don't mind replaying that morning. Got into my climber at 6:15... I like getting in there early. I used a drag on my boot with Tinks into my stand from the road. I also hung three scent stones of Tinks around my tree. I was sitting in a stand of older pines surrounded by small planted pines. I heard a sound at 7:30 from behind me. I eased around and saw it was a big coyote. It's nose was in the air, and every time I moved he would look up. He never saw me, but was very skiddish. He hiked out the same way he came in. At that point I thought I would not see a deer that morning and was upset. This had been a common occurance: 4 different sitings of coyotes and 5 different dog sitings in this area--everytime with no deer seen afterwards. I had hunted this area for about the last 2 weeks hard, taking off work most of that week. I had good scrapes and rubs everywhere, but no buck during the day. At 7:45, approximately 15 minutes later, I heard movement behind me--the same direction as the coyote. I assumed the coyote was back. I caught a glimse, and it was a buck. He was rubbing on every branch in his path. He stopped and worked a scrape behind me, and I saw him pee in it. Then he made a bee-line for one of my scent stones hanging. He was then within 25-30 yards to my right side. I made the move to get into position, shaking the whole time, and pulled the trigger. What was meant to be a shouldar shot turned into a neck shot. He walked off slowly, and with him at about 75 yards cresting a hill, I had another bullet bolted into the 270, so I stood up and fired another one off. That bullet missed. By that time I was shaking so much I don't know if I could have hit a barn if I was proped up against something, much less this second shot was a freehanded shot. I waited 45 minutes, hearing him thrashing on the other side of the hill for about the first 15 minutes, and got down and found good blood. I then called my wife who hearded my 2 and 3 year old girls (seen in some of the pics) and 10 week old boy who have been so excited about daddy killing the big one. They wanted to be there to help daddy find him. Several of my friends also came out. You see, I am color blind and me and blood trails seem to have problems finding each other. At 9:30 we started the trail that led to Briar Rabbit's briar patch. We then heard him run, but knew with all the blood he shurely couldn't go far. After tracking through about 200 yards of briars we found him. He was heading for the creek and wound up about 30 yards from it. We then made a executive decision to pull him across the creek and call in the help of a 4-wheeler. If not, it would have been a heck of a hall up hill. At about 12:30 we finally had him out and at the camp. And now you know the rest of the story.

Attachments

• smallgirls.JPG
    smallgirls.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Trigabby

Good job, Jason and fantastic buck..

I may have shot that one's daddy about 2 years ago... I got this one between plots 9 and 10... They look kinda similar...

Attachments

• Buck.jpg
    Buck.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 166

Jason

They do look similar. I tell you I was starting to get worried. I have been hunting in South Alabama my whole life and this year decided to not drive as much with a new born. I am truly empressed with the deer being harvested in heard county. Maybe I can get the granddad this weekend.

Jayrod

Nice Deer...But I really like the W '04 sticker on the back window of the truck :cool:

J

Jason

She actually did not teach this semester due to our 10 week old son, but she taught English 1101.

Mark Thompson

how long did it take them sweet looking kids to pull that one out of the woods? They must have used a big wheel...stupid me :banginghe

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
Great Buck keep posting updates so I know what is going on at C.H.H.C. wish I could be there eddy