getting deer out of the woods?

shootpse

Banned
me and my brother have been coming down to beautiful northwest georgia to turkey hunt in the spring for the last 3 years now and have seen alot of deer there!!!!! and are planning to come down to hunt deer later this year i have just 1 question how do ya'll get your deer out from the bottom of those huge mountain bottoms !!!!!! my gosh those things are sure steep!!!!!

Randy

Always hunt above the truck!

Dough

Getting deer out of the woods

1. Offer to carry your brother's rifle or bow.

2. Get far enough ahead so by time he's figured out what you just did, it's too late.

Toliver

I use my personal helicopter but some of these other peasants may actually use physical labor.

Where's the ducking, weaving and running for my life smiley?

Actually, I use a Yamaha Grizzly. It kills me to hunt WMA's that don't allow them.

Muygrande

They rent mules at the jiffy stores in the fall!!

All you can do is drag my friend, or be lucky enough to get a rope/winch combo down to it from a 4 wheeler or maybe even drive to it on 4 wheeler! :D

shootpse

Banned
thanks muygrande but we hunt a wma that does not allow motor vehicles off road boy that sure does stink!!!!

Wetzel

My advice would be to shoot really small deer. Most of your buddies will probably laugh at you for shooting them, but they're generally pretty easy to get out of the woods. :D

Rebel 3

You could cut it up and carry the meat and cape back. Don't go way back there and shot anything unless its a trophy.

Toliver

Harkins said:
My advice would be to shoot really small deer. Most of your buddies will probably laugh at you for shooting them, but they're generally pretty easy to get out of the woods. :D

I bet they're not laughing when they get back to the truck with the bigger deer and need oxygen. They'll be like, "MAN!! I wish I'd seen one with spots!!"

Muygrande

LOOK A BUTTONHEAD!!! He's coming right for us!!!! BANG!!!

Toliver

funny.gif

cwood

[You could cut it up and carry the meat and cape back. Don't go way back there and shot anything unless its a trophy.]

Rebel 3 I dont think that you do this, you can not remove the head from the body utill you get it to the prosessers or home. Maybe i am wrong though?

Jeff Phillips

The best way is to get 2 saftey harnesses, that you use with your tree stand. Place the straps that goes around the tree around the deers neck (put it around his chest if you plan to mount it). Get into your harnesses (1 for you & 1 for a friend) and lean into it. I have done some 3/4+ mile drags in the mountains using this and it's the easiest way where ATV's are not allowed.

WildBuck

The mountains is where you find out how good a hunting partner you have. I have had to spend most of the day dragging .

Southbow

I hunt alone 90% of the time and it's usually on WMA's 1/2 to 1 mile from the roads. I weigh 150 so you can imagine I'm not built for dragging. After dragging a buck out about 1/2 mile to a logging road by myself a couple of years ago I swore off dragging anything. I always quartered my deer and hogs when I cleaned them anyway so I decided why not do it on the spot.

For the last couple of years I've carried two pillow sacks in my bag. When I kill a deer or hog, I just roll them on their stomach, split them down the back, take off one side of the backstrap. Roll them onto their side, skin the hide down off the shoulder, take off the shoulder, skin the ham and remove it. Then roll the body over and repeat.

I do get a little more hair and leaf debri on the meat this way but it cleans up fine at home. I put half in each pillow sack, tie a short strap between the two, throw it over my shoulder, and head for the truck. This method is especially rewarding when you want to hunt deep in the woods in the afternoons.

And yes, it's legal to clean a deer on the spot in Georgia. As far as I know all the deer processors will take a deer quartered in a cooler just the same as a whole deer. The only time I wouldn't clean the deer on the spot would be on a managed WMA hunt when they want to age and weigh the deer. I don't know that they do that on any of the WMA's during bow season.

chris

mikel

dragging

i think that was one of the reasons i had kids.besides im too fat to drag one far

sniper13

Take a guitar and play the first notes of Dueling banjos, Turn around and tell the first person that shows up you'll buy him some "store bought" teeth if he'll drag out your deer.
WARNING : DO NOT MAKE ANY PIG LIKE NOISES WHEN TRYING THIS !!!!!! :eek: