Meriwether County Hunting Reports

Hardy

GONetwork Member
I'm hoping to have a good season this year on my Meriwether lease. I scouted my hunting areas a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with all the fresh signs and food sources.

I do think I will change my opening morning location to a spot I usually hunt later in the year after the acorns start falling. I haven't scouted since the heavy winds last week but from what I've seen around the house I expect a lot of acorns were blown down and may be the best opening day we've had in years.

I'll let you know if my plan works........Good Luck :clap:

Last edited:

meriwether man

acorns

Hardy, if you are looking for acorns, there are everywhere. I went into the woods this afternoon looking for some stand placement trees for gun season[i don't bow hunt] and the nuts was everwhere white oaks, red oaks and water oaks. I just hope didn't too man fall, deer won't have to travel very far to find them. Should be a good weekend, good luck and safe hunting :)

Slasher

acorns

I saw bunches green on the ground from the storm 2day... However, many muscadines were dropped was surprised to see as many still hanging along with the persimmons which seemed hardly effected... I'll be there ... 22ft up assming the position of the bowhunter on opening a.m. :pray: :pray:

Last edited:

Shawn Wommack

Meriwether County Cove Road area.
Lots of acorns and deer. I don't bowhunt but members report good sightings but out of range. Should be a good year. :flag:

Hardy

GONetwork Member
I only hunted Saturday morning and saw a small buck about 7:30. He turned out to be the only deer I saw but plenty of deer sign and acorns all over the woods.

Now I'm waiting to see how Ivan will affect the next weekend.....it doesn't look good as of now:(

BubbaD

Meriwether

Only had a chance to go Saturday afternoon. Saw a spotted fawn and a doe out of range. Got rained on pretty good from 5 - 5:30. Hope to get back out this weekend. We are on the east side of Greenville.

Bubba

Formerly BBBD

Slasher

Had 2 does come in...

Had two come in as i was lowering down the bow... was in oaks and they came in fer bout 15 mins, acouple steps munch a couple acorns, another couple steps, a couple more acorns... it was too dark, so I just had to listen and look as they came within 15yds... just a lil too late... guess i need to move a lil deeper in next time ::huh:

Hardy

GONetwork Member
I had car trouble and didn't get to hunt this weekend. I still expect the ground to be covered with acorns for the next couple of weeks and the cooler weather shouldn't hurt either.

All I need to do is find a little time to hunt :banginghe

Good Luck :clap:

meriwether john

hunted some sat. afternoon and saw 4, at least one was a small buck. all came in range but didn't present a good shot. club members have reported seeing at least 7 different bucks, one a shooter, another a smaller 8pt. two nannies harvested this weekend(132 lw. and 94 field dressed) muscadines all over the place as well as acorns. hunt the grapes folks the acorns will be around for awhile. HAPPY HUNTIN'

VicNic3

Starting to see some big rubs now,trees are 18 inches in diameter and whiteoak acorns are everywhere now.Seeing a lot of deer before dark.Cool evenings must have them moving some

Vic
:flag:

fredw

Retired Moderator
Tuesday, Sept. 21

Hunted oaks in both the morning and afternoon. Acorns scattered throughout as a result of the high winds. No deer sighted though.

Food plots are up 3 inches....some tracks wandering through but no real sign of eating yet.

olroy

sunday

went sunday afternoon didn't see any deer but i did fing some fresh rubs in area's that are think in the pines.

Slasher

where are the deer?

Hunted again yesterday and today evenings.... no deer sighted except driving out... saw plenty or squirrels and watcheda BUNCH of turkeys go up the draw to roost....
Acorns dropping like crazy...(some size of golfballs...)

Seeing ,more sign, rubs and even a couple of scrapes already... hopefully its just the moon keeping them out at night....

I dunno..... how bouty'all? :whip:

VicNic3

Starting to see some big rubs and scrapes,Acorns everywhere still,Cool weather coming in,may be just the ticket for opening day of rifle season. :flag:

VicNic3

Hardy

GONetwork Member
I will have to say this is starting out as a strange year for me. I've hunted about 6 different times and only seen a couple of young bucks ::huh:

I see plenty of deer sign, some rubbed trees and the acorns are everywhere.....but the deer don't seem to be eating them. I have to say I'm surprised but I don't think the deer like the green acorns as well as I thought they would :confused:

I just hope my luck changes as gun season approaches :shoot:

fredw

Retired Moderator
Spent the last two days in Meriweather

hunting the oak woods. In four hunts, I saw two deer feeding on acorns. No action in the foodplots yet. Persimmons are gone.

Stingray23

Acorns are hot right now. Lot's of sign, lots of activity, the majority of which is at nigt it appears. I'm jumping em up before daylight going in and after dark coming out. I'm seeing almost nothing during the daylight hours. I've seen one and took him on opening weekend. Very little activity in the plots right now, that should change as the hard mast peeters out.

meriwether john

our club still has persimmons on the trees. food plots are looking good because the deer are hammering the acorns. have found a thigh size cedar rubbed up in an area where we've a 20 inch 10pt earlier. not in an area that is a good bow spot so will try to be there on the gun opener.

meriwether john

was only able to hunt about 2 hours an the 9th with #2 son. he had 5 come in behind him on his trail and were on alert. as we bow hunt instead muzzleloader he was unable to get a shot. only heard 3 shots 2 of which were from another member that bagged 2 doe. club total now at 7 all nannies. all deer seen on sat. were in acorns. except for a 6pt seen in planted pines from a ground blind.