What is the best bow for small money?

sr.corndog

I shoot a Point Blank and shoot a pretty fine group. I feel one of my limbs may be twisted because it has a funny twist when it is drawn to full draw. It is set at 75-90 lbs. Any susgestions from a old arch that like :confused: s to take the bang out of hunting.

DaddyPaul

I am unfamiliar with the Point Blank bows? Does it have a split yoke cable assembly on it? If so you might straighten the limb out by putting it in a press and adding a few twist to one side to even things up a bit. IMO although it may be a little biased ;) PSE makes some package bows that are very reasonable and account for many a critter every year. I think their Whitetail Expedition with everything you need except a release, arrows and broadheads was going for aroung $250 at Bass Pro.

Guy

Galyans

I don't know if I got lucky, but I bought a Browning Firestorm a few years back. Got it for $150.00. I had to add all accessories, but that bow went for over $300 new the year before. It has never let me down!

Look for a new left over. You may be surprised at what deals are out there!

C

Cward

Check it out!

Check out the Mathews Q2 I have for sale in "Swap & Sell"

sr.corndog

bow for small money

Thanks for the information I have several to research and decide I will let you know when I purchase. As of tonight my old point blank grouped 5 in side of a 5 inch paper plate and I will use it in the morning!

My PSE is made by pro line co. Hastings MI. :flag:

Muygrande

Corndog, look at the Bear bows, before you buy. They have the greatest warranty I've ever used, and I've shot them all. I shot 3D for 6 years and shot sponsored for High Country, and Bear/Jennings. I've shot PSE, Hoyt, Blue Mountain, Martin, BowTech, Darton, you name it. I have never owned a Mathews, I have shot them though and they are built good too. But I refuse to jump on band wagons and won't own one. When the average joe that shoots with me can out shoot me with one I may see the value in a $600 bow, but they can't.
Currently I'm shooting a Bear Vapor 300, with Easton Carbon Evolutions and 85gr Spitfires at 301fps. AND it stacks 'em up. COST???---$279 at American Outdoors in Albany, GA last July. Then in March this year a lady that's trying to run the place liquidated the Archery Dept of leftovers and I bought a brand new one for my wife for $125!!!!!!!!!!! Putting me at an average cost of $202 per bow!! Great bows for the money!!! :D

Remember it ain't the arrow, it's the indian shooting it!!

Last edited:

Flhunter

I would go with a PSE they are darn good bows with great customer service. I got a Triton 04 for about 350.00 and added all my gadgets I had.

Attachments

• robertsbow.JPG
    robertsbow.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,175

PAPALAPIN

check out ebay

There are a lot of older bows that you can pick up for a song. They might not be as high tech as what your can get new, or as fast, but they are plenty good enough for bowhunting.

Keep in mind that ten years ago these were state-of-the-art and have probably taken many deer over the years.

I would make sure you get at least 65% let off. There are many brand new bows that only have 65% let off, because Pope & Young will not recognize a trophey that was taken with any bow with over 65% let off.

If I were looking for a hunting bow, before I would even consider a high dollar, high tech bow, I would be looking at older technology for a lesser price.

Now, if you intend to get deeply inot competitive 3-D shooting, that is another story..

The day that you put a very sharp broadhead through both lungs of a deer, the deer has not idea of how much your bow cost, and that would not matter anyway.

Just my thoughts

reylamb

P&Y now accepts deer that were taken with higher than 65% let off, they just have an * next to them.

reylamb

The Reflex lineup is a very solid lineup, and yes, they are fairly quiet. Most of them now have the Hoyt cam.5 on them, so they are also smooth. There are even a few in the lineup for 05 that have the TEC riser. $ for $, the Reflex lineup is hard to beat.

the HEED!

Banned
Well the name says it all...

I own a PSE Triton and ended up spending 750 loaded up with NAP and Vital Bow Gear accsessories and Im pleased its light fast and small, Ill maintain it and keep it in good shape and probally never purchase another bow cause its to the point where bow arent as far a commercially getting any faster lighter or smaller so id say spend the money on one good bow so your not spending more on upgrading every year and spending twice as much, just my opinion so take it lightly.... :)

Hoyt man

reylamb said:
The Reflex lineup is another great lineup for the price.
ive got one on swap and sell if your interested

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I shoot a PSE Whitetail Extreme. I got it from Bass Pro already set up. It was around the $300 range or so. I bet the deer that I have shot with it didn't know that it wasn't a higher priced bow. It killed them just the same.

reylamb

Darton.........Maverick.......it is a great bow with a good amount of zip to it. As was the case with some of the older Dartons it was a little noisey, but some simms limbsavers and a good stabilizer made mine fairly quiet.

Reflex.....Hard to say for sure, they change the lineup every year, bu they do not always change the names. The Buckskin and the Growler were good ones from a couple of years ago that I can think of off the top of my head. I will have to do some more research to come up with some others for you.

CharlesH

Don't know to much about bows, butI have a Reflex Bighorn that i got from Bass pro on sale for $220 with Quiver, silencer, etc. and it shoots really well. I've added a new rest and some limb savers but that's it and i shoot groups tight enough to fit in a silver dollar or less at 20 yards. I think that are smooth bows and quiet for the money. i'm sure there are better ones but i was on a budget and just beginning.