Look at these red oak acorns

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
This is from a tree in Athens Ga. If this is any indication we are in for a bumper crop. I have seen some white oaks with similar amounts of acorns.

Many times when acorns are abundant it is hard to find that special place to hunt.

Attachments

• red oak acorns.jpg
    red oak acorns.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 621
  • red oak acorns 2.jpg
    red oak acorns 2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 656

papachaz

yeah, for hunting purposes, I'd rather see a smaller crop. If there's too much food, they don't have to go as far to get it. On the feed and nutrition side of the argument, it's better for the deer.

of course I already know that you would know to hunt the white oaks first

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
yeah, for hunting purposes, I'd rather see a smaller crop. If there's too much food, they don't have to go as far to get it. On the feed and nutrition side of the argument, it's better for the deer.

of course I already know that you would know to hunt the white oaks first

Ditto on the white oaks being preferred by the deer. I hunted a place many years ago that had hundreds of acres of planted pines and practically no white oaks and only a few red oaks which were in one area of only a few acres. You could always count on there being lots of deer activity every other year around those red oaks.

Jim Boyd

Excellent bounty... good luck around those trees!

BassHunter25

I hear alot of folks saying deer prefer white oaks. And for the most part I believe it is true that they are more palatable to the deer. Though, I have seen times when they really prefer those red oaks. And other times when they ignore them. The fact is the red oaks have more fat content, and when faced with a cold winter, the red oaks would be more beneficial.

Lukikus2

Gets tough with bumper crops of acorns. Mr Biggs can lay around all day and not have to go anywhere for food.

papachaz

I hear alot of folks saying deer prefer white oaks. And for the most part I believe it is true that they are more palatable to the deer. Though, I have seen times when they really prefer those red oaks. And other times when they ignore them. The fact is the red oaks have more fat content, and when faced with a cold winter, the red oaks would be more beneficial.

kinda like sometimes I want a banana split, other times a chocolate shake :D:D

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
havent seen a bumper crop in a while. i do remember on year maybe '03 or '04 when the whiteoaks went berzerk. that year it spurred deer activity. in theory thry didnt need to travel much but in reality we were seeing and killing every trip. you could hear way more gunshots too. kind of hay day for everybody i guess