question about minerals

EGlock86

Are deer still hitting them ? And is deer cane just minerals or is it an attractant? Whats the difference in black magic and regular deer cane. The reason im so curious about is i want to put something in front of my cameras that dont say "HEY THERE IS A CAMERA OVER HERE STEAL ME" cause most of the time corn=camera iv been looking at all this acorn rage crush rub slime beet juice crap but im skeptical. What is your experience with some of this or what do you use ?

They hit my mineral blocks all year long. Of course it is doing nothing for antler growth right now but it should benefit their overall health. They do slow down as hot weather eases. Don't know much about cane. I've been told that plain sugar poured on the ground is a good attractant for game cameras but I doubt it's good on the teeth.

triton196

i use deer cane liquid and i have good results. im unsure of the nutritional benefit of it but i know they will dig a huge hole up. i used acorn rage before and deer walk right by it and dont even look at it. i have a friend who just used the new sugar beet stuff or whatever and they demolished it. also my uncle he just tills up some dirt and mixes in rock salt about three 1lb boxes each time and they really tear that up. hope this helps.

papachaz

I bought some Charlie O's Mineral Attractant at the Atlanta buckarama. we put some out in 3 different places, and within 2 days each time we had pics of deer. once the rain came and dissolved it though, they don't see to be as attracted. we haven't put any out since the third week of August, but one spot they still come to a lot, they just don't hang around much.

deast1988

I put 2 licks out may and have ran cameras on um since may. 1st application was a bag of black magic on a raked up spot. What I did for 1 site I did the exact same to the other. Next application 1 month later I put a mixed concentrate of whitetail addiction and a little block by them down also then topped each block with half a gallon of acorn juiced. 1st month had 24 pictures between both cams just of black magic 2nd month had 30pictures off the addiction and rage stuff. 3rd month I put black magic 1 bag into each site and half a bucket of lucky buck in each site. When I checked my cams I had 900pictures between my to cams and a bomb went off in each site. Iv been putting half a bucket into each site for the last 2 months Iv had more pictures off lucky buck then all the other minerals Iv tried my lease is 74miles away 1 way so I only would go once a month I checked my cams last weekend and had 150 pictures on 1 cam 124 on the other. It's started petering out but the minerals either need to be refreshed or its the expected drop off of the deer not utilizing the minerals during the fall. That people say happens.

dpcmcghee

Banned
Trace mineral salt !!!! 50 lb bag . Dig a hole , cover the salt , you will be amazed .. Bout 7.00 a bag . Lasts former and the rain want wash it away .. The deer will dig it up like hogs . By far the best thing i put out and vie tried it all

goodfornothing

Yesterday evening, I had a doe and fawn on a mineral lick.. The block has been long gone since we had a lot of rain the past months but they are digging a hole now.

dpcmcghee

Banned
I am pretty sure its illegal to put out minerals unless you dig a hole and cover it .. Might wanna look into that before ya get a ticket

dpcmcghee

Banned
Unlawful Activities (General Hunting)

Hunt, shoot, kill, or wound any farmed deer (e.g. elk, red deer, fallow deer, sika deer, or axis deer) or exotic wild animal (e.g. farmed deer, mouflon sheep, Barbary sheep [aoudad], antelope, etc.) held under a wild animal license for enjoyment, gain, amusement, or sport.Hunting while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.Use of any pitfall, deadfall, snare, catch, trap, net, exposed salt or minerals, live decoy, or baited hook to take game species.

dpcmcghee

Banned
Me either . I have always buried mine anyway but was reading that last weekend when my buddy bought a block and threw it on the ground .. Not near as good as the bag btw... Try it where there some moisture in the ground and watch what happens ... Pour a little corn on top and it will be on !!!

dpcmcghee

Banned
I get mine at the feed store ... Its red and looks like a bag of salt . Any feed store will have it .. Trace mineralized salt ... Thank me later

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
make your own mix. Polyfos, trace minerals, calcium. Mix equally and pour on the ground in an area where there will be no runoff, in the shade where it stays damp. Picking the right spot is the key.

Phosporus, trace mineral salt, calcium. That's the mix Auburn gave me back in the 1970's.

REDFOXJR

I have had better luck with the rocks, believe it or not, its a lil late in the year to start a new site, I have found they will slack off from them alot after the rut, until april. I personally wouldnt bother this late in the year, your not goin to get the results you are looking for right now, but if you got a good spot and goin to hunt the land next year, anytime is a good time to start a new site, 1 site per 100 acres is sufficient.