Instinct Shooting

QuackAddict

I have been having trouble with my alligator setup and I have not been able to get it to shoot consistent. I spoke with the guys at Muzzy and they said that I should take off the sight and shoot by instinct. When you shoot without a sight to aim down the arrow at all or do you just hold the same anchor point and shoot completely by you instinct? Please give me any tips that could be helpful.

Randy

Sorry, can't help you here. I instinctivly shoot with a sight!

fredw

Retired Moderator
Good question for Al33

QuackAddict, other than sighting in, I haven't had any trouble shooting the gator getter setup with the sights.

Al should be able to help.

Killdee

I have shot instintively for years but switched back to sights this year with my new bow.I just looked at what i wanted to hit ( make it a real small spot) and shoot.when you start grouping adjust your rest to your group and your good to go. Consentrate intently on your target.Al can prolly help you also.You dont aim a baseball,its the same principle.
Killdee

Southbow

We have a natural ability to point (well most of us do). I've seen it over and over again when kids and adults pick up a longbow or recurve for the first time and start hitting a pie plate at 8-10 yards. Just give it a try and you'll be amazed at the accuracy you can attain after just a little practice.

Just like shooting with sights, form is everything. Make sure you do the same thing physically everytime and your brain will adjust your hand to put the arrows where they need to go. Don't try to use the arrow as a reference. If you do you'll overider your instincts. Also, if your shooting at night for gators you don't want to have to try and see the arrow for reference. You just want to focus on the point of impact.

chris

Al33

Q.a.

You have already received some great advice from previous posters. There are a few traditional shooters who use the "gap" method, which is making a visual determination based on the distance of the target between the point of the arrow and the target. I have never tried it as I can see it has it's limitations.

I simply concentrate on where I want the arrow to go. I just about have to burn a hole in the target with intense concentration much like you do with a magnifying glass when using it to burn something. You have to get the bright spot real small to burn with the glass and you have to narrow down your point of focus the same way. All of this starts before you start your draw.

You will have to have good, consistant form to make it work. Examples: Same anchor each time, keeping your bow arm up until you hear the arrow hit. I would add to stay focused on the spot after the shot as well. We all have a strong tendency to be anxious about seeing where our arrow goes. Don't worry about it, just keep to form, there will be plenty of time after the shot to determine if it was a good one or not.

I have to remind myself of these principles every time I shoot. :eek: You would do good to get a few of the many instictive shooting videos where the real pro's can show you how.

Good luck, it's a lot of fun.

Al

Last edited:

Arrow Flinger

You need to listen to Al. I have seen his prowlness with that long bow and he knows what he is talking about. By the way Al, you never did answer my question. 1 or 2? :) Sorry.

QuackAddict

Thanks for the info guys. I practiced last night in the dark and at 10-12 yards I was able to consistently put the arrow in a 6 inch circle. Hopefully I will be able to do this with a monster gator in front of me tonight on Lake Seminole! :speechles

Al33

Good luck with the gators

Just don't shoot at a 6" circle, pick out one of the gators scales and shoot the scale, not the gator. I guarantee ya that if you hit the scale or close to it you will defintely get the gator. ;)

Timberman

Good luck as well with the alligators.

:) In the past when I bowhunted I shot a compound instinctively. I used a tab and shot with 3 fingers under. With a 70# bow I was unreal to 30 yards. I could hit shirt buttons and bottle caps or any little thing every time and over and over.

3 fingers under puts the arrow right under your eye and you and the arrow basically have the same sight plane. Not that I used the gap method I just pointed and shot. When I started using sights I went to a release but in hunting situations I still believe I was better instinctively with 3 fingers under. :)

Of course it shore is a moot point now... :flag:

TurkeyCreek

Pratice,Practice,Practice....

i don't bow hunt much now (too dang hot in bow season for me), but i never have used sights and shoot instintively. it takes alot of practice and like Al said, concentrate on a spot on your target, consistant form and especially the same anchor point every time..
it is kinda like shooting a basketball, throwing a baseball,etc..

H

HT2

Instinctively?????

Ain't no way......

That's the way the Indians did it......

Not me..... :eek:

Ga-Spur

I hunted for years with success using the Apache draw ; 3 fingers under the arrow and looking down the arrow. Even when I went to a trigger release using a compound I continue to look down the arrow. I think on a 30 yard shot that the arrow would hit about 2 inches to the right of where you aimed lookind down the arrow ; so you would have to aim 2 inches to the left.Give it try.