Better hunt your acorns now!

Timberman

I would surmise the majority of them are on the ground at this point. :)

dbodkin

All over my property... hitting the deck last night sounded like hail stones...

horsecreek

frances did a good job getting some on the ground. when I was up last week, the deer were not touching them though. curse, they were eating peas next door..
:mad:

horsecreek

frances did a good job getting some on the ground. when I was up last week, the deer were not touching them though. course, they were eating peas next door..
:mad:

gadeerwoman

I'm going back to the same spot where I got the doe last weekend. She has sisters out there scarfing up acorns. May have to leave the book at home this weekend though. :p
Haven't decided whether to bring out the compound or take the crossbow again but I'll definitely be waiting and watching the pin oak acorns.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
Just got back from my Haralson County property (That place got hit bad - Trees down, limbs down, and acorns literally every step you take through the hardwoods...)

Hardy

GONetwork Member
I'm thinking the same thing. I don't remember a year that we've had this many acorns to hunt early in the season.

Adirondacker

new to acorns

I have hunted upstate New York for 20 plus years and moved to GA last year. Acorns were so scarce in the area that I never really hunted them (wild apples were more reliable). I hunted a WMA last weekend and saw many green acorns on the ground. Some were from red oak, some from white, and some were overcup (I think). I know deer are supposed to love the white oaks acorns but do they like them when they are green?

H

HT2

Timber.....

THE GREEN ONES ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Don't know if there's gonna be to many still hangin' after all that wind..... :(

AliBubba

My thinking is that this is not good news! This is a “feast now and famine later” situation! Most of the persimmons, muscadines, and acorns will rot pretty quickly that the deer can’t eat in a few days.

Than what? Usually the soft and hard mast fall over several weeks/months and gives the deer a continuous source of food. Once this source has been rapidly depleted, the deer are going to experience hardship (famine).

Comments??

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
Will The Green Acorns...

Last longer on the ground than the ripe ones? If so, how long will they be good? (Because there's no way the deer can eat all I saw on my place today, so I'm sure some will rot before the deer get to them all...) Andy acorn experts on Woody's? :)

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
This could turn out great for those with food plots. They could get hit hard earlier due to acorns all falling now.

Timberman

This could turn out great for those with food plots. They could get hit hard earlier due to acorns all falling now.

My thoughts exactly. Those who have green plots will have deer come late October and November. Plant away! It's not too late. Shoot I don't even have seed in the ground yet... :)

HT, what acorns the deer and critters don't eat up will rot fairly quick imo.