Handguns during Archery Season?

Do you carry a handgun during Bow Season?

• yes

Votes: 85 43.4%
  • no

Votes: 111 56.6%

• Total voters

Coastie

There are some decisions that you make that only you can decide whether or not the consequences of doing or not doing them are worth the risk. This is one of them. I don't carry anything except what is legal for the game I am hunting, but that is my choice.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
If you do not feel adequately equipped (and protected) with a bow alone, you should not be bowhunting.

Alan in GA

for a small pack of dogs?

If you do not feel adequately equipped (and protected) with a bow alone, you should not be bowhunting.

would you feel protected if 5 or more wild dogs attacked you?
My Dad was 'surrounded' by a pack of dogs in Madison area one morning walking into a stand [deer]. I'm glad he was armed with more than a bow. It was deer gun season, but the experience makes me want a side arm as well as my bow.
What DO you think of the law to 'not' be allowed to carry a side arm during bow season? You can carry one elsewhere if you have a CCP. Why not into the woods? The law used to [may still] say you could carry a pistol without a permit when hunting or fishing. I think the law needs to be changed. Chase poachers, not a bow hunter wanting some extra protection. If someone wants to kill a deer bad enough [illegaly], he probaby will not mess with being in the woods with a bow in the woods anyway.
Alan in GA.

I do not carry a gun while bow hunting down here, but i do back home. Bears up there are waaaayy more prevalent and a sow with cubs can be as ornery as my wife when i ain't fed her all day:mad: !! It is not a pretty site!:bounce:

Anyway, down here, i do not need a pistol to shoot a snake, i can either wack it with a branch or if i feel the need, wack it with a arrow at 280 feet per second...Maybe this year i will just scream really loud for back up like one of the guys i hunt with...not mentioning any names...PLP::ke: :rofl: :rofl:

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Alan: My comment is based on my own experience of having spent much of 70 years in the woods.

There is greater danger from having a tree fall on you than there is from "wild dogs", hogs, or bears.

Alan in GA

wild dog pack vs. bow...

I have to agree with mister Holt. If you are not confident with a bow why take it to the woods?

the bow does not reload fast enough. That's just my reasoning, tho. Not shared by all.
Alan in GA.

Alan in GA

broadhead,,,,

::gone:
No. Don’t need to carry. Just look at what a broadhead does to a deer.

the pistol isn't for deer. Even one.
I'll try to clear up my viewpoint:
It is agains the law. I am breaking the law by choice if I carry my Berretta 22 LR pocket pistol. I also have been known to break another law,,,I have often driven 5 or 10 mph over the speed limit. Throw stones this way.
I actually rarely carry my pistol when bow hunting,,,just when we've seen curr dogs in the area,,,none so far in Talbot County,,,but OFTEN in the Madison and Putnam Co. areas. The most were in the Buckhead [not the Atlanta suburb,,but near Madison area]deer club I was in about 15 years ago.
I have never knowingly broken any other hunting laws,,,being a "to the book" hunter in all aspects,,,other than the 'pistol for protection' when bow hunting.
A ranger in Cohutta said we'd be stupid NOT to carry a pistol in that area,,but said he would never admit to 'saying it'. Just nodded heads in agreement.

Alan the outlaw, in GA.

xjd33x

:rofl: Isn't it odd how so many people are willing to break this law, yet are quick to call LEO's when someone trespasses?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I'm still waiting to hear about this man killing bear in south Georgia. :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Sure are a lot of ya'll that get "attacked" and live to tell about it. ::ke:

T

GeauxLSU

I carry a gun on my hip at all times, meaning year round, for a variety of reasons, whenever I'm in the woods. I would never take any animal with an illegal weapon.

Guys I know it may be a slim percentage of dogs hogs or bears, I'm not an avid hunter but I have heard enough people that have had experiences with bears and dogs (especially groups of dogs) that I would not want to encounter without a sidearm. Not so much a bear but a pack of dogs? No thanks. And like Alan had said if some one would kill illegally most of the time they would never see the woods.

Dana Young

OK guys lets think about this for a little bit. All of you that say you carry a gun during bow season for protection from whatever threat you might percieve to be in the woods are breaking the law even though you are not carring a gun to kill an animal out of season. ya'll are setting a double standardon the one hand you are breaking one law because you don't agree with it for whatever reason, then the guy down the road in a trophy managed county kills a spike because hey he don't ever see a deer and he finally sees one and let's say he needs it to survive the winter. now he is scum of the earth but you are just considered wise for being prepared to survive a threat that is more unlikely to happen than someone starving to death in todays economy.
Now I don't personally care if you carry 10 guns with you and I am not trying to cause trouble I just want everyone to think about what you are doing when you disregard a law just because it doesn't fit into the way you perscieve things.
I know that you will say that my example is far fetched but there are some people that are more scared of the percieved threat of starving to death than there are those that are afraid something is going to get them in the woods.

groundhawg

OK guys lets think about this for a little bit. All of you that say you carry a gun during bow season for protection from whatever threat you might percieve to be in the woods are breaking the law even though you are not carring a gun to kill an animal out of season. ya'll are setting a double standardon the one hand you are breaking one law because you don't agree with it for whatever reason, then the guy down the road in a trophy managed county kills a spike because hey he don't ever see a deer and he finally sees one and let's say he needs it to survive the winter. now he is scum of the earth but you are just considered wise for being prepared to survive a threat that is more unlikely to happen than someone starving to death in todays economy.
Now I don't personally care if you carry 10 guns with you and I am not trying to cause trouble I just want everyone to think about what you are doing when you disregard a law just because it doesn't fit into the way you perscieve things.
I know that you will say that my example is far fetched but there are some people that are more scared of the percieved threat of starving to death than there are those that are afraid something is going to get them in the woods.

Good post Mr. Young, great point(s), very well written.
Thanks.

ugabowhunter

why carry a pistol during bow season?? if you really need protection, carry a 7mm mag or 30-06 to fend off the hogs that are eating the corn in front of your stand. if you're gonna break the law, might as well do it right!

Gajbird

Dana makes a good point

Dana,

I have to agree with you on principle. I basically read your post to say don't be a hypocrite.

I haven't toted a gun during archery season but if I felt the need then I would not hesitate to do so.

I as you said don't care who else does or doesn't as long as they don't use it for the harvesting of game.JMHO

What about the squirrel hunters. You can hunt squirrel with a bow or gun. Now it is a broadhead issue right?

I have another scenario I think of often.
What about the folks who bait deer...?
Some hate them, some do it, some like me don't care whether they do it or not.
Wait a minute though do the haters hate the folks who bait a deer into a pine orchard with a well groomed, well planned Iron Clay Pea Patch or just the ones who poor out corn on the ground in the same spot.
It seems to me in this scenario the only differance is the amt of work involved in the placement of the "bait".
Just my opinion.
God Bless, Jay

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`d be a lot more concerned about gettin` in a vehicle wreck on the way to the woods than bein` attacked by a critter.

ugabowhunter

another thought here... if you are carrying a handgun for protection and you kill a 125+ buck with your bow, i am thinking you are not eligible for pope and young. just something to consider.