acorns preferred by deer?????

Adirondacker

I have hunted upstate New York for 20 plus years and moved to GA last year. Acorns were so scarce in the area (NY) that I never really hunted them (wild apples and beech nuts were more reliable). I hunted a WMA last weekend and saw many green acorns on the ground. Some were from red oak, some from white, and some were overcup (I think). I know deer are supposed to love the white oaks acorns but do they like them when they are green? I saw few droppings in the forest floor mix.

H

HT2

Ad.....

Without question the "WHITE OAKS" are the preferred choice of deer......

However, generally the "RED OAKS" (that are ready) fall first.........They will gobble them up and chow down on them, and then when the "WHITE OAKS" fall......Get in the "WHITE OAKS".......They love 'em.......The one's that you saw were more than likely one's that the Squirrels had cut out, or the one's the wind blew out........They'll eat them, but they prefer them much more when they start turnin' a little brown....... :D

Adirondacker

thanks HT2

Ramey Jackson

White Oaks.

What Tim said.

The only thing that I'll add to that is...Hunt where the sign is. If you see a lot of caps and deer droppings under a pin oak tree (or any other oak tree), hunt it! That's where the deer are!

Lucky7

white oak question

I usually zero in on soft mast, or water oaks during the first few weeks of bow season, since white oaks dont usually start falling till later. but since the wind has knocked so many white oak acorns are on the ground this year, i have been hunting them. i had never quite made up my mind if deer like un-ripe green acorns, but this year i have seen numerous deer gobbling up the green white oak acorns on the ground.

E

Etter1

Yep, these guys are right. Actually deer love red oak acorns at least as much as they like white oak acorns but it takes a while for the tannins in the red oak acorns to leach out before they start to taste good. That's why deer generally prefer white oaks in the early season. Once they are all gone, hit the red oaks. But it does seem to me that some deer really love water oaks. You may have never seen a water oak cuz you're from the north. It looks almost like a red oak bark without the stripes and with small paddle shaped leaves.

O

OFD2Truck

adendum

Which is the best way to distinguish the reds from the whites? I know this may sound stupid but I honestly dont know what I am looking at when it comes to acorns :confused: Anyway yall could post a pic of the leaves so I can distinguish...Thanks!

Last edited:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
OFD,

White oaks have a papery bark and have rounded leaves. Red Oaks have a more solid bark and have pointed leaves.

Deer will leave all other acorn trees (and most other food sources) to get to a producing and healthy white oak tree, given all other circumstances being equal, such as cover and location etc.

Jim

Buck_Ridge

I pay close attention to the sign. Where I hunt there are several different kind of oak and the white oaks are plentiful, but every year there are just a few of the trees that always seem to get the most attention.... Thats where I hunt!! :shoot: