Might be a can of worms, but now I've gotta ask...

Dixie Dawg

I've been wanting to ask this for a long time now, but have tried just waiting to see if I could figure it out for myself... but I can't!

Why is it that some members have such animosity towards GON? I'm assuming it's an accumulation of things over many years, but I've only been here for 2 years so I don't know all of the history. It's been my understanding that GON is around to support and stand up for hunter's rights (and the rights of the wildlife), so why is it that it seems there is so much opposition from some members on just about anything GON does or tries to do?

I don't know enough about any issues to take sides, I'm just wondering what the deal is... is it an issue with GON itself or is it more with certain people involved with the management of GON? I joined GON this year because I wanted to support an organization that supports my interests... is this not what GON does?

I'm seriously hoping that this does not start a big argument... I'm just curious as to what some of the issues are against GON. If anyone would rather PM me, I'd appreciate it!

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Well it will start a big argument, but dont worry about that, it happens all the time. It has alot to do with personal feelings that cannot be set aside by ALL involved

GeauxLSU

I joined GON this year because I wanted to support an organization that supports my interests... is this not what GON does?
GON is a magazine (and a good one IMHO). But, it's goal is to sell magazines.
Or are you talking about the GONetwork?

contender*

I like the magazine idunno much about the rest.:huh:

Dixie Dawg

GON is a magazine (and a good one IMHO). But, it's goal is to sell magazines.
Or are you talking about the GONetwork?

Maybe that's where part of my confusion lies....

I'm talking about the GONetwork. I guess I assumed they were one in the same, that the GONetwork put out the GON magazine, I didn't realize they were separate entities..... :huh:

Handgunner

*handing Kerri a bigger spoon* ;) :bounce:

lets not lose arguements with our self

Dixie Dawg

GON is a magazine (and a good one IMHO).

One more question, at the risk of sounding like a total idiot :bounce:.....

Unless there are more than one magazine and I'm misunderstanding again, isn't the GON magazine the one being discussed in another thread about printing that Marion County banned hunting? :huh: That is an untruth, yet still considered a good magazine?

Again, maybe I am completely confused now about what belongs with who.... I sure feel that way!!! :confused:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger

I'm talking about the GONetwork. I guess I assumed they were one in the same, that the GONetwork put out the GON magazine, I didn't realize they were separate entities..... :huh:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Branchminnow

What's so funny??? :eek:

Some feel that the owner of the magazine is the owner of the Network as well.

The president of the Network, has an executive committee in which he MUST talk to before making any decisions for the Network, therefore he does not run the Network.

Further if he superceeds(sp) I will resign immediatly as I ve promised that poster in the past.

Branchminnow

Not to say that mistakes have been made, by the Network , they have , no doubt, but now the decisions made will be made in unison.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
DD, I'm not laughing at you. It's just that you pegged a big part of the problem many folks had with the Network.

Basically, the Network and the News are owned and/or managed by the same individual, using the same office space, logo etc.

Don't worry, you are not alone in your confusion.

It's one of those "You had to be there" situations.

GeauxLSU

Kerri,
There is so much funny about this post. And I don't mean you, I mean in general. You are a member of the Network correct? This post sort of sums up a BIG issue with the Network (IMHO).
The magazine and the network are most definitely 'supposed to be' completely separate. That is the way it was laid out. However.... reality is, Steve is the president of both and things have happened with the magazine in relation to the network that suggest they are essentially two parts of the same entity. But on paper they are in fact distinct. I used to object to the similarities in the logos for example but again, they are essentially one in the same so no more objection.
The magazine predates the network. The network was formed just over 2 years ago as a political action group to fight for Georgia's outdoormen and women. Or so it was presented. It is apparently has become another take kids fishing organization (which is nice). By all accounts, any and all efforts related to legislative issues have been embarassing. Got some really good folks still trying to make a fight of it even after repeated blunders (this being the latest) and I certainly applaud their persistence. Admitedly on the other hand, I can't imagine what good would have come out of that same energy within an organization that does not take irrational counterproductive moves despite the wishes of it's members.
I'm only guessing, but I suspect the magazine has a renewal rate higher than the network. My membership in the network expried 2 days ago. I held out hope to the 11th hour there might be one little thing to suggest things would change. Unfortunately, it was just more confirmation of the same.
You are correct, the lie on the cover is not good. I still think by and large the magazine regularly contains good timely information about hunting/fishing in Georgia (better than any other). Granted, I read it with a more critical and cautious eye with every passing month.

GeauxLSU

Some feel that the owner of the magazine is the owner of the Network as well.

The president of the Network, has an executive committee in which he MUST talk to before making any decisions for the Network, therefore he does not run the Network.

Further if he superceeds(sp) I will resign immediatly as I ve promised that poster in the past.
"Some feel"? Are you kidding?
1) Branch, what offices (plural by intent) does Steve hold in the Network?
2) Did he talk to the executive committe before NOT sending out an alert to the membership at large to rally support and/or attending the commission meeting alone?

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger

What happened to the "Sportsman's Senate"? Did he decide he didn't want NOT to listen to them any longer?

Dixie Dawg

Thanks guys for your replies... I am feeling much less like an idiot now. Yes, that's where my confusion came in... they have the same logo, link to each other's web sites and basically have the same 'name'.

I didn't realize the magazine came first and was privately owned. I assumed it was a publication of the Network.

I'm a bit confused as to how someone can own the Network, wouldn't that be like someone owning the Democrats or Republicans? On second thought, don't answer that.... that's a whole other can of worms!!

I will say though that given these facts, it seems like there is a large conflict of interest here between key players in the GONetwork and GONews.... guess I'll need to do some background looking into the GONetwork bylaws, etc. to see how that happens...

Thanks again guys for your help!

Branchminnow

What happened to the "Sportsman's Senate"? Did he decide he didn't want NOT to listen to them any longer?

As loud as I am he may not listen but he will hear me.