What If ...... would this make you a Poacher??

beginnersluck

nope

well, I know that I wouldn't. I would just feel too guilty. Just this year I had a nice 9pt walking from my land onto a clearcut that wasn't on my land. Never giving me a shot until he was well on the neighbor's land....just couln't shoot, felt like I'd be breaking the law. I guess that's why there are rules and laws...to make us that do have a conscience feel bad if we break them!

Nope, I'd definitely be hunting it next year, and I'd make sure I had saved my buck tag just in case!

Timberman

I am weak in this area of my life....and if all fair chase involved (no bait no lights no tresspassing and on my property sitting in my stand) he is a dead deer...no guilty feelings either...And some of you , I believe have a tendency to lie. Oh yeah, I would not even be hunting if I had already killed my 2 bucks...but is all hypothetically speaking.

I'm the one that said I wouldn't be hunting if I had taken my 2 buck limit, so will assume this to be aimed at me. If not, please correct me. :)

You obviously will cheat, so it is a given that you will lie. So that has been established. But I can't think of anything in particular that you said that was a lie. ::huh: Usually one that lies or cheats is the one that believes everyone else is too. That is something I see in everyday life and I guess this board is an extension of such. :)

For me, it has been many years since I have taken 2 bucks in Georgia during a season so it truly is not an issue for me.
I can never remember killing three trophy bucks in my 25 years of deer hunting.
If I am to believe that, shouldn't it be plausible for you to believe it has been nearly that long since I have taken 2 trophy bucks in Georgia in one year? I have taken 3 trophy bucks in a year before, but it took a couple states and a province or 2 to do it.

Is it something else that was said or several things for that matter from another thread or post that you feel to be lies? I for one would like to know what it is that has caused you to believe lies are being told. :)

dog1

I don't make many post, but this one got my attention. I couldn't shoot, but each person has to live with his/her own convictions.

This happen to me in 2001. Our club had a one buck and two doe limit. I killed a nice 13 point buck (he was real old too). A couple of days later I was trying to get me a doe, I was hunting over a feed patch at the time. Out walked the largest racked buck I have personally seen alive. He was within 50 yards and closing, I put the scope on his rack and counted only 8 points total, but they were massive. He walked with 25 yards of my stand, turned and walked straight away into the woods. I'll assure you, based on how far his ears were out past his ears, he had to be 25 inches wide.

I told my son about the deer and a nine point I had seen around the feed patch. He got in the same stand a couple of days later and killed a large nine point buck. When he called me and told me he got the nine point buck I went to meet him in town. He had killed a bigger nine point than I saw. I told him he had taken a larger deer than I told him about. He then said I should have seen the buck that was with the 9 pt. and must have been back in the edge of the trees when he shot. He said it ran across the field and stoped broadside, then ran on into the woods.

One of the men looking at his deer asked him why he didn't shoot the big deer when it ran out in the field. My son told him he couldn't because we had a one buck rule in the club. Can any of you imagine how proud I was of him at that moment.

My son said the big buck was like the big one I let walk a few days earlier.

Now for the kicker. The next year a member in our club had up a trail camera and got a picture that was taken at 3 a.m. It looks like the buck posed for the camera. He had his head slightly down and looking straight into the camera. He was a massive 8 point, rack out past his ears by 5 or 6 inches on each side. Everyone that has seen the photo swears he'll go 25 or 26 inches. To date, none of us have seen this deer again. Was he the big one we let walk, I don't know, but you can bet his gene' are in the wood lot.

Did me and my son do right, yeah we did, no question about it. We haven't heard of a big buck like this one being killed in our area and I'm sure if he has been taken, we would have heard of it.

Because of our management of our herd and the land owners on both side of us, we are now taking two bucks and two does. This coming year, 05, we start thining the does a little more.

Just my thoughts.

dog1

E

edge

If you "shoot just this one time", then I think it wouldn't really be "just this one time" at all but probably a usual thing....

There is no way to justify breaking the law.....even though we all do....

er

Last edited:

Heathen

Breaking The Law?

Folks say it's breaking the law if you were to shoot a deer in this situation and that is just plainly unexceptable to them, but I bet those same people break some type of law almost daily. No one can say they never speed, nonuse of turn signals,running a red light and so on. These are laws so why not obey them the same as our hunting laws? I hunt by the law and always have, but in a case such as this it might be an exception. Call me bad if you want, but don't look down on me for breaking the law. When most ya'll break some type of law eveyday! :bounce:

QuakerBoy

Al33 said:
If you are dishonest in the small things, you will be dishonest in the large things.

Al

I can't completely agree with that Al. It's kinda like saying if you'll drive 10 mph over the speed limit...you might just be prone to murder someone.....everyone (or at least most) have some restraint...obvioulsly at different points.

That being said...yes...you broke the game law so you are poaching.

E

edge

Intent

Yes, almost all of us break laws, nearly daily...
"Intent" is probably what most would use as an excuse....Clearly, having filled one's buck tags and taking another is an intentional act....speeding may or may not be....yes it is still illegal....

We could debate these nit-picking issues all day and not change another's mind. To me, it comes down to selfishness...how much is enough? I have personally known people who shot every type animal they saw, in season or out, legal or not, just because they wanted to and had the opportunity.

If someone wants to be selfish and take more than their share....well, who's gonna stop 'em. It would seem to me this would be more likely to make someone leave this board than the baiting issue....?

I have always felt that a great number of "hunters" would jump on the chance to kill a big deer, whether it be at night, after season, with lights, whatever...just to be able to "brag" about it. You can say it ain't so, but I've seen enough of it in my 30 odd years of hunting all over this state to know it is the truth. It has always been my hope that the majority of hunters would do the right thing, but I must say that I haven't seen it as a whole. I saw more evidence of it this week in Tennessee.

Oh, well....off my soapbox. Have fun....

er

Al33

rpaul11 said:
I can't completely agree with that Al. It's kinda like saying if you'll drive 10 mph over the speed limit...you might just be prone to murder someone.....everyone (or at least most) have some restraint...obvioulsly at different points.

rpaul, these are not my words, I borrowed them. Read Luke 16:10.

I used them relative to ethics, not laws. Of course we all break laws from time to time, but if I get caught speeding, I will not try to lie my way out of it.

Al

Last edited:

dominantpredator

Timberman, I do believe you have taken what I said very much out of context. First of all, you may have said you would not be in the woods had you already killed your 2 bucks....I agree, that is what I said too. I, myself would not be there either. I too, don't want you to think that I have killed even 2 trophy bucks in the same season, much less the 3rd trophy buck that has been placed into the wandering minds of everyone here. The taking of mature whitetails in the state of Georgia is not an easy feat....most lands don't even have resident monsters walking around, so I have been at peace with only shooting 1 buck every year or so....I have witnessed what most hunters only watch on tv shows and consider myself one of the true men who can watch without killing. As far as calling someone a liar...that is not what I meant at all. I was simply stating that I really believe some people are saying only what others want to hear...and if that offends you than too bad. This type of scenario is meant to be entertaining and to let this get under your skin has really got me puzzled. Please read carefully what I had written earlier and maybe new light will be shed on your understanding my writings. Oh yeah, I don't cheat either...no matter how big the stakes may be because of me , not because of others. My pride is what makes my BIG BUCKS so dear to me...they are all taken legally, no matter how many seasons the scoreboard reads bucks win again. ::ke: ::ke: ::ke:

ncman

THunter said:
You generally don't lose your cars when caught speeding. ::ke:

THunter

You can dang sure lose the privledge to drive that car. I think the analogy with hunting laws and other laws is completely fair.

Heathen

Seems I remember piece of scripture in the Bible that goes something like "Do Not Judge, Less Ye Be Judged." I think that about says it all! :bounce:

Last edited:

General Lee

Boy this poacher label is a tough one,kinda like being pregnant,either you are 100% or not 100%.Some on here have already defined it as any law broken such as not wearing an orange vest while hunting makes one a poacher.But where do you draw the line?If you drive 56 miles per hour on the way hunting and kill a deer 5 minutes after you get in the stand are you a poacher because there is a chance you would not have seen the deer if you had not broken the law on the way hunting.And is being a poacher like being an alcoholic?Once you have broken one little law at some point in life therefore making you a poacher, are you one for life or are you considered a recovering poacher,ex-poacher,or what?And like alcoholics,do recovering poachers break out in a sweat when they walk by a bag of corn? :D

jay sullivent

hunting illegally is poaching. simple as that. speeding on the way there doesn't qualify as hunting illegally.shooting game out of season, with the wrong weapon, or without the proper clothing is hunting illegally. maybe we need a seperate forum for all you guys that admitedly hunt illegally.

General Lee

No need to jump on me Mr Sullivent,I was merely seeking clarification concerning the poacher label and having a little light hearted fun at the same time. I never said whether I would have shot the buck or not.I appreciate your version of what is poaching and it will help in my clarification process. :rolleyes:

jay sullivent

sorry bout that general. im just surprised at the number of people so willing to break the law. it gives the anti's an opportunity to show hunters in a bad light and that can hurt us all.

Heathen

Jay are you saying you never break any laws whatsoever? If so you are probably the only person on here to not do so. ::huh:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Seems that the only justification those of you that would poach the deer can point to is that other people speed so you might as well poach.

Yea! That's logical! :rolleyes:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I am a little different that I have no real moral issue with someone breaking a game law and more than when they break a traffic law like speeding.

I do however look down on the game law break (defined as poacher for those that dont know) because of how that persons actions may very well define how I hunt 10 years from now.

When you get caught speeding you do not speak for all speeders out there, you speak for your self.

In hunting we speak for each other.

Jim