Where do you field dress your deer & why?

huntin1

I field dress them where they lay. I do my own processing once I get home, but I want the entrails out ASAP.

huntin1

stumpman

Banned
I dont field dress mine i live about 3-4 minutes from the club so i bring them to the house and clean them if im hunting in carolina i take them to the processor and let him do the dirty work.

shootpse

Banned
we always dress our deer near where they fall but not in the immediate area where we actually hunt the gut piles are completely gone within a few days from all the varmits around then we use bagged ice to cool the carcass before it gets to our butcher also all the butchers up here want the deer field dressed before they will take it.

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
I get mine to the processor ASAP and let them. for $5.00 I prefer them do it.

Jeff Phillips

It depends on where I'm hunting, the weather conditions, and how far I have to drag the extra weight.

On WMA's - Right where they fell.
On my clubs - Usually right where they fell, but sometimes if it's cold or convienent I'll haul it to the processor.

I keep a pair of latex gloves in my fanny pack. I can dress the deer, remove the gloves and be totally clean :D

Toliver

Obviously you people don't enjoy playing in the entrails as much as I do. I gut them where they fall and then release my warthog and merecat the next day for an amusing game of "bowling for buzzards".

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I clean them where I find them. I usually have a bit of a drag in the places I hunt so that 30% off of the deer is easier on me getting him or her out of the woods.

The gut piles are gone in a day or two anyway and I've seen deer walk right past where they are or where they used to be and not care at all.

Tommy

whitworth

Or why would anyone think guts improve venison taste

I gut them right after they drop.
Why take a chance ruining a good tasting liver.
I also butcher the deer on warm days as soon as possible.

WildBuck

I like to drag them away from my hunting area a couple hundred yards if i am going to be back in the area soon. I do not like to give them yotes a reason to mess up a day of hunting.

RamblinWreck

Right where he/she drops. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

mikel

let me see......

just as close to my uncles stand as possible

Meriwether Mike

I usually remove them from my area and gut them in the woods where someone does not have to worry about being around it.

Arrow Flinger

If I am at the farm, unless it is hot, I don't gut them at all. I drag them to the house on the 4 wheeler and hang them and skin and bone them out without ever touching the guts. If it is hot or I am somewhere else, I will gut them where they lay or close by.

TJay

We bring 'em back to camp. We have a skinning pole and a 55 gal drum of water. We take the guts to a landing about 200 yds from camp and let buzzards and possums take care of the rest.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I like to record the live weight, so I take mine back to camp to hang on the skinning pole. It's easier and cleaner on me and the meat.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
dress mine back at the house...........

guttin' 'em in the woods around here draws in every stray/loose :mad: dog for miles.

DanSmith

Banned
at the camp

dress & clean ALL deer at the camp in the gut bucket . then dump yn the gut hole... ONLY OPTION at THE DEER CAMP you gut any where else$150.00 fine and you clean up the mess THAT IS A Cardinal sin at the deer camp.. three cardenal sins YOU ARE OUT!! + no invite back next year .

Timberman

I gut em here...

008273.jpg