when is the best time to hunt after a storm?

sr.corndog

Just curious? Best time when it starts to let up raining or when it has totaly stopped. Ivan has had me cabin kept for a couple days! I need to bow hunt! :flag:

Arrow Flinger

I don't think the rain will have much to do with it. I would want to be out there as soon as the wind lets up. I think the wind will limit movement more than the rain.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
I Hear Ya' corndawg...

I'm sitting here all camoed-up waiting for a bit of a break in the weather... If you head over to Sheffield look for Rapid Fire - I think he's heading up that way this morning... (He'll be the hansom young man in the red Dodge PU) :p

H

HT2

What Flinger said......

Let the wind calm down and then hit it hard.......

I've hit the woods before as soon as it calmed down, and it was like the deer were just waitin' to move around......

Good Time to hunt.... :)

Al33

Imho,

Immediately when the rains and winds quit, especially as the sun comes out. I'm not talking about a few hours later, I mean right when it happens. I have noticed over the years the deer are a lot like kids in this regard after a couple days of continuous rain. It's as if they want to get out and play after being cooped up a couple of days.

Wished I could be ther but it ain't gonna happen this time. :( Not sure when i will get to get back into the woods. ::huh:

Al

mpowell

best times

right before a front and right after. yeah, the wind can be a killer as far as deer movement is concerned. they can't hear as well and swirling winds cut down on their ability to smell predators.

we've got dark clouds moving faster under blue skies and white, billowy clouds here in statesboro right now. it's very windy as well. hopefully, the wind will die down by evening time. i really want to get in the woods tonight.

Kdog

I would have loved to be in a tree about 3-4 hours ago. ::huh: ::huh:

I would have if soccer would have been called off tonight.

Kdog

Hardy

GONetwork Member
Al33 said:
Immediately when the rains and winds quit, especially as the sun comes out. I'm not talking about a few hours later, I mean right when it happens. I have noticed over the years the deer are a lot like kids in this regard after a couple days of continuous rain. It's as if they want to get out and play after being cooped up a couple of days.

I agree with Al. I've seen a bunch of deer right after the rain stops. I have no idea why but they always seem to move better for a few hours after a rain ends.

BROWNING7WSM

GONetwork Member
As soon as it stops I head out to the stand.. I dont think the wind bothers them too bad after a heavy rain like that, I think they are ready to move.

Woody's Janitor

As soon as it is safe to get in a tree!!!!!! .. and with your wife's permission of course!!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I think the deer in Carroll county missed the memo about coming out after the storm. The woods were very quiet this afternoon, except for a small amount of wind. Will give it another try in the morning.

gabowman

My preference is the next morning after all the rains and wind has settled. Seems the deer are a bit nervous right affter the storm and they tend to calm down during the nite and are back on their regular routine the next morning.

GB