Need help with 1100 ejection

rapid fire

I have acquired a Remington 1100 20Ga. LT. Magnum 3" and can not get it to cycle the rounds. It was produced around 1973, but had never been shot till' I shot it the other day. Everything is assembled correctly according to the diagram in original paperwork and the gas hole is clear. Any suggestions to shot shells I should use or other reasons it may not be cycling?

CAL

Check the chamber to see if it has residue causing it to not cycle.The chamber needs to be really clean as the shell hull expands when shot.Other than that,if the gas holes in the barrel are clear I can't see why it would not function correctly.I have put a brush of the correct size on a short extension with a little oil on a electric drill and polished the chamber before.Good luck with it!

DLS

Take the barrel off & see if the rubber "O" ring is hard missing or broken . The "O" ring must be ok for it to cycle.
on the 1100 there is a gasport in the same area. just a small hole & it must be clear
I use wd 40 to poke the tube in the hole that puts pressure through it & you can see if it is clear
also wd will soften the rubber ?Maybe?
I bought a graphite "O" ring years ago from davis sporting shop in phenix city al.
that made the old girl cycle every time
my 1100 has busted a mountain of doves & many a gobbler

Dan

thomasr

What shells...

...were you using? For what it's worth, I have a Rem 1100 12 ga. 3" magnum and it will not kick out 2 3/4 low-brass shells at all, and 2 3/4 high brass only part of the time, 3" shells every time. Action is clean...brand new rings. I asked Remington about this (via website) and they said the 3" magnum variant was not setup to handle the lower powered shells and to expect problems. I've heard about modifications that you could do to make it work with lower powered shells but then you run the risk of damaging the reciever if you went back to magnum loads. So...I bought an 870 for low power duty. Still kind of sucks...I like my 1100. Good luck in your quest.

REX

Last edited:

Havana Dude

Good advice here

All these guys could be right. The only experience I've had personally is a friend has one that will not eject low brass shells. Don't know if this is inherent to this gun, or if one of the other fellas suggestions would help. There suggestions could be the underlying problem of not ejecting low brass.:huh:

rapid fire

OK guys educate me here. I have always just shot my 870 12 Ga. with what ever shell was the cheapest so I don't know alot about shells. What is low brass and High brass? What shells do ya'll suggest trying? Thanks for all the responses.

ed'sboy

To ditto what others said, mine won't cycle 2 3/4 shells either. Only 3"

thomasr

okay...

...I'm not an expert on the construction of shotgun shells but I'll go with the obvious visuals. Low brass versus high brass is merely the length of the brass part of the shotgun shell...high brass is longer than low brass. This seems to be only relevant in the birdshot spectrum...all buckshot/slugs I've ever seen is high brass. On the other hand, I've seen/used 7 1/2, 9, and 8 and some other shot in both high and low brass. The high brass being more powerfull...I'll assume because it has more powder in the brass :huh: . I don't reload so that's the extent of my knowledge. Bottom line...high/low brass may make a differenc in a 3" 1100. In the pump 870 high/low doesn't make a differance as for as operation goes...an 870 will take anything you can feed it. Just trying to help.

REX

Last edited:

pacecars

The 1100 20 ga magnum should function with any 3 inch shell and any 2 3/4 magnum or high velocity shells. If you use the cheap bird shot it won't have enough gas to cycle the action.

pacecars

The old high brass and low brass comes from the old paper hull days. The height of the brass is no longer important but most people refer to it still. What they mean is high brass equals the magnum type loads and low brass means field or light loads. Look at the Activ all plastic hulls (do they still make those) that did not use brass.

DLS

The most common reason for gas system failure on a 1100/11-87 is the O-Ring.
Here is a good source for Remmy 1100/11-87 O-Rings. I use these in my 11-87 that I shoot in IPSC 3-gun matches with. Good product, good vender.

http://www.ericwesselman.com/store/RemmyORing.html

I agree. My 1100 magnum "kicks out" all shells and always has ejected all shells low or high brass. I am talking thousands of rounds!! I even used those NO brass fiochhi shells one year worked fine. but a fancy graphite "o" ring & the 2 round metal rings the new ones are chrome I think.
that will fix er up

Oldstick

I have acquired a Remington 1100 20Ga. LT. Magnum 3" and can not get it to cycle the rounds. It was produced around 1973, but had never been shot till' I shot it the other day. Everything is assembled correctly according to the diagram in original paperwork and the gas hole is clear. Any suggestions to shot shells I should use or other reasons it may not be cycling?

Where did you find one that hadn't been shot, you lucky thing??

deadend

I have that same gun and it can be finicky with low brass stuff. The o-ring is the kicker and make sure the gas affected parts are clean. I only have it happen when shooting cheap shells at clay targets.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Take the barrel off & see if the rubber "O" ring is hard missing or broken . The "O" ring must be ok for it to cycle.
on the 1100 there is a gasport in the same area. just a small hole & it must be clear
I use wd 40 to poke the tube in the hole that puts pressure through it & you can see if it is clear
also wd will soften the rubber ?Maybe?
I bought a graphite "O" ring years ago from davis sporting shop in phenix city al.
that made the old girl cycle every time
my 1100 has busted a mountain of doves & many a gobbler

Dan

Having the same problem with mine. Where is this o-ring and port hole located on the barrell when you remove it?
I'vs never been able to get my 1100 12 gauge to eject anything but 3" shells too.

J

JR

Having the same problem with mine. Where is this o-ring and port hole located on the barrell when you remove it?
I'vs never been able to get my 1100 12 gauge to eject anything but 3" shells too.

I have the 1100 12-guage Mag. as well, and as someone else already stated, Remington (via the website) said it is the powder load in 2 3/4" 'regular' shells (non-high brass). My shotgun is/was brand new and the first dozen shells I shot thru it were 2 3/4" dove load 3 1/4 gram, 8 shot, would NOT eject... A 'high brass' duck load, or 3" shell does fine... It is the amount of powder to generate enough velocity to eject....

rapid fire

Got the problem fixed. I replaced the barrel seal and it ejects 3" shells. Sending it to Gun Docc Monday to open up the choke.