taxidermy prices

dognducks

Banned
How much do yall usually pay to get a turkey mounted? I got one mounted in full strut for $325 in Ellijay. just wondering what some of yall pay and for what pose

Arrow3

I paid $525 for my 25lb bird this past year..

Booner Killa

If I remember correctly, it is $475 for my guy. I think it's about $150 for the fan, spurs, and beard. That ain't cheap!!!!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Friend of mine paid out a smooth $750 for one last year.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I'd throw it in a ditch before I paid that much!

T

Dub

:rofl: Me too, only I`d throw it in the hot peanut oil, set at 350!

:cheers: I'm with you. I'd love to see the mount, though. That is the most I've ever heard of. My wife would have my hide if I paid that much.:hair:

Trizey

The bird I've got at the taxidermist right now cost me $680

He is a Grand National Champion taxidermist on birds. There is a huge amount of difference in his birds and any other taxidermist or bird I've ever seen.

One look at the heads will tell you that he knows what he's doing.

http://www.waterfowler.net/Artistic/

dognducks

Banned
The bird I've got at the taxidermist right now cost me $680

He is a Grand National Champion taxidermist on birds. There is a huge amount of difference in his birds and any other taxidermist or bird I've ever seen.

One look at the heads will tell you that he knows what he's doing.

http://www.waterfowler.net/Artistic/

thats a pretty penny but dang those birds on his site do look good. i got mine back today from the taxidermist and he doesnt look bad. its under finally got him back

Nitro

Banned
After looking at the photo of the bird you paid $325.00 for , I guess you know why real quality Taxidermy is expensive. Not everyone is an expert on birds.

Not being rude or hypercritical, but if that was my Gobbler, I would not be pleased.

Next time, ask for a Freeze dried head that was done by Cally Morris. (Hazel Creek Taxidermy) I would also try to see some of the Turkeys the Taxidermist has mounted previously.

Gadget

Andy, you took the words right outta my mouth............ I didn't have the nerve to post it, just didn't want to put the guys bird down.

FYI ........ both of my full mounts have Cally Morris heads.

After looking at the photo of the bird you paid $325.00 for , I guess you know why real quality Taxidermy is expensive. Not everyone is an expert on birds.

Not being rude or hypercritical, but if that was my Gobbler, I would not be pleased.

Next time, ask for a Freeze dried head that was done by Cally Morris. (Hazel Creek Taxidermy) I would also try to see some of the Turkeys the Taxidermist has mounted previously.

Nitro

Banned
It is a real nice Gobbler and one that deserved to be mounted. Just sad for "strutrut247" that the Taxidermist's skill level wasn't quite as high as it should have been.

I had one done 25 years ago by a "great Deer" taxidermist....he wasn't too good on Gobblers. So I have "been there, done that".

In these times of high standards and skill levels among Taxidermists, it is almost always a you get what you pay for situation.

I am glad the young man thought enough of his trophy to have him mounted and for that I do commend him.

dognducks

Banned

that is a freeze dried head (the flash made it shine more and i think thats why it looks like a fake) and the pictures dont do the bird justice. it does look kind of crappy in the pictures. you arent going to step on my toes. i think it looks good and i think im the only one that can judge that

Gadget

Well said!

I agree a 27lb Tom is a huge bird and a great trophy, I would be proud to own him just like he is.

Also, I would like to add that I too had my first bird mounted by a deer taxidermist. I found out later that he subbed the bird work out to another taxidermist, but he ordered and painted the head himself. I took the bird back three times to have the head re-painted everytime leaving displeased. I finally took him to someone else, Cadenhead Taxidermy, we ordered a Cally Morris head and replaced the old one, made a huge difference. The other Taxidermist went out of buisness soon afterwards; Dan's Taxidermy.

It is a real nice Gobbler and one that deserved to be mounted. Just sad for "strutrut247" that the Taxidermist's skill level wasn't quite as high as it should have been.

I had one done 25 years ago by a "great Deer" taxidermist....he wasn't too good on Gobblers. So I have "been there, done that".

In these times of high standards and skill levels among Taxidermists, it is almost always a you get what you pay for situation.

I am glad the young man thought enough of his trophy to have him mounted and for that I do commend him.