Turkey Gun Choke and Shot combinations?

Handgunner

Reading Randy's "50 yard gun" thread got me to thinking, what choke tube and shot combination do you currently shoot, or have had the best luck with.

Last year with a borrowed Remington 870 I was shooting an Undertake Choke with Federal #5 turkey loads and was getting around 15-19 in the kill zone at 30 yards.

I've not patterned my Christmas present yet, the wife won't let me touch it until the 25th, But it's a Remington Express Super Magnum Turkey Camo...

shotgun.jpg

Anyhow, what combo are you shooting?

blindhog

I mainly hunt with a Baikal 12 ga auto. Trulock turkey choke, Winchester extreme heavy shot #5 3.5" shell.

I have recorded kills at 100 yds......:banana: :rofl:

gobblingghost

Blind, You can't see 100 yrds much less walk that far to pick something up. ::ke:
As far what I shot, Benelli Super Black Eagle with Rhino Choke. I am going to try a new shell this year. I'll have to report back on results.

Arrow3

The undertaker shot awesome in my Remington 11-87SP...

I got the best pattern out of Winchester #5's..

Delton,

Thats a good looking gun!! :yeah:

Nitro

Banned
The true measure of how far a Master Turkey hunter kills his birds...............is how close he kills them................

Al33

The true measure of how far a Master Turkey hunter kills his birds...............is how close he kills them................

Is that a quote from someone else or is it your own? If it is from someone else, please tell me who.

Thanks

Nitro

Banned
That is more of my opinion............. Don't quote me..........I know nothing about Turkey Hunting.

S

Sugar Hill Scouter

Ah...Well said, grasshopper !!
To answer the question at hand, I use a Briley choke tube with Federal Premium 3" #4s...

blindhog

Blind, You can't see 100 yrds much less walk that far to pick something up. ::ke:
As far what I shot, Benelli Super Black Eagle with Rhino Choke. I am going to try a new shell this year. I'll have to report back on results.

Just make shore you don't load that there new shell in backards :rofl:

I know I kin outwalk you turk huinting cause you will carry 100#'s plus more than me! :fine:

You know I can at least see 75 yds, and the last 25 is frum pointing in the rite direction! :biggrin2:

Dub

Nice looking gun Delton....congrats on getting a good one.

I'm just getting my feet wet on this stuff....man was I shocked at the cost of those Nitro shells and the Rhino chokes. I thought for a minute I was seeing things. Forty shells and a Rhino choke will set a fella back (for a 835 or 935 Mossberg) $350 plus shipping and handling from one of the online places I just checked.......ouch!!!!

Sort of makes me wonder how good of results one could get with a shotshell reloading outfit.

Randy

I have tried many many chokes and shots over the years. Some better, some worse, some better in one gun and not the other. But if I had to start somewhere wiht one choke and load it would be TruGlo Choke and Winchester #5's. If it is good enough for GunDoc, it is good enough for me. I have had more guns shoot better with that combination than anyother.

Handgunner

Thank's y'all.

But let me ask something else and maybe y'all that have been at it longer can help me understand.

Choke size, whether it be .65, .66, .67... whether it be a TruGlo, Kicks, Undertaker, Rhino, etc...

Are they all the same? Being .665 is .665 in all of them? Just as .65 is .65.....

I guess basically what I'm asking is what sets each one apart from the other?

Randy

They are all different. I am not sure the exact terminology but the length of the "choke constriction" does make a difference. Some are ported and some not also.

Handgunner

They are all different. I am not sure the exact terminology but the length of the "choke constriction" does make a difference. Some are ported and some not also.
So like the forcing cone on a barrel, a choke tube has pretty much the same? Which is why one would shoot tighter than the next?

Have I got that right?

jcarter

Banned
no matter what type choke, gun combination you use just remember that the purpose of a choke tube is to throw a consistent dense pattern at a killable range ..not to extend the killing range of your weapon.

Handgunner

no matter what type choke, gun combination you use just remember that the purpose of a choke tube is to throw a consistent dense pattern at a killable range ..not to extend the killing range of your weapon.
I understand that, so far both turkeys I have killed have been within 20 yards.

30-35 would be about as far as I'd feel comfortable shooting one and actually let one walk last year that was at 40-45.

Big ol gobbler too.... Just futher than I felt comfortable with.

Randy

So like the forcing cone on a barrel, a choke tube has pretty much the same? Which is why one would shoot tighter than the next?

Have I got that right?

Yes. But it is not only the taper of the restriction it is also the length of the restriction. Try the TruGlo, you won't be dissapointed and it is fairly cheap compared to others.

Dub

Yes. But it is not only the taper of the restriction it is also the length of the restriction. Try the TruGlo, you won't be dissapointed and it is fairly cheap compared to others.

I'm following you...longer surface to get to the same restriction diameter. Seems like it'd be much smoother for the shot. Cool.

When you say Winchester #5's, Randy, which ones? I picked up a Winchester catalog last week. There is a SuperX, Supreme and Supreme Elite, etc.

Dang...just checked out truglo's website...they are showing three different types of turkey chokes that they make. This stuff can get complicated as heck.