Finally bought a welder!

Loafy

I've been toying with the idea of getting a welder for the past few years. I bought a tower stand that is made out of EMT and I realized how much of a markup there was on those stands. I thought that if I built one myself I could save a bunch of money. Well, I think I just might!

THe one hitch in my plan is that I don't know how to weld. I figured that I would start out with the cheapest thing which is a 70amp stick welder. If I could not get the hang of it I would not be out much. I burned through a few pieces of EMT and did a bunch of practice Saturday. Then I started on the stand Sunday. It went pretty smooth.

I started with the top part of the stand. I figure that it is the least critical part of the whole thing and if I mess up that would be the best place. It's about 2 inches out of square and the front leans in about 5 or 6 degrees but overall it is nice and strong. I could not be happier. Now hopefully I can build a few jigs to make things easier and faster.

So far this stand is going to cost me $225 which includes the price of the welder. It's a 2 man 4x6 5 ft tall box stand. The one for sale here in town that I got the idea from is $350. Not too bad!

I may post some pictures down the road when I've built two or three and gotten things looking a little better. Right now it's kinda rough looking with being out of square and all. But like I told my wife, as long as it is strong enough all that have to see it are me and the deers!:eek:

Woodsong

make sure you do it right loafy! Your life is worth more than $350!!!

That said, my friend taught himself welding and loves it and has become very good at it.

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
loafy, what is EMT? is it galvinized?

leadoff

GONetwork Member
The metal tower stands that I use were built by a fella down below Americus, and I love them! Those metal box towers, when built right, will last a LONG time. I usually box in the top with 4x3 sheets of plywood. One drawback---they are a pain to get in and out of the woods!

Al33

I miss welding.

Loafy, I am sure you will find a thousand uses for your welder. They are wonderful tools for making all kinds of repairs around the home. You will likely start getting creative with it. I had a lot of fun welding years ago. I looked for things to weld up and made some interesting pieces from scrap metals I could find.

I am not set up for one now, but one day hope to have a place to do it again.

Good luck with your new hobby.

Al

Loafy

A hurricane delay and a steep learning curve have taken their toll.

So far so good. I built the top first and it's out of square and leans some but it's strong enough for my 50 lb boy to swing from.

The bottom looks better IMHO. It's square within an inch and really sturdy. I may go back and put in a diagonal brace on the front side but I'm not real sure I need it.

Attachments

• tower.jpg
    tower.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 112
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 101

Slug-Gunner

Need More Braces for STABILITY!

I've noticed from the pictures you provided that you lack proper SIDE LATERAL SUPPORT on the front and rear sides (considering your ladder as the front/rear side). You need to put additional triangulated braces on the top to side rails in order to strengthen your SIDE LATERAL SUPPORT. With the top being added to it, that's a lot of weight once you cover it with wood paneling, etc.

How do you plan on anchoring the base posts in the ground once you get it to the location you'll hunt from it? The last thing you need is it tilting or leaning due to rain and softening ground conditions.

:rolleyes: ::huh: :confused: :)

Loafy

Yeah, it's going to get a diagonal x on the front side. The top weighs very little for it's size. I'm going to cover it in fabric and a piece of vinal for the top.

I anchor them with 2 1/2' pieces of 1 inch EMT driven into the ground at each corner and attached with a small piece of chain.

I have a 12 foot one that is made exactly the same as this one that I moved just prior to all of the hurricanes and it is still standing right where I put it.

So much for showing off my handywork!:eek:

H

HT2

Loafy.....

I hear ya bud......

I'd love to post some pictures of our's that we have out.....

We've got "6" on our new lease that my buddy made up.....

They are all "20 foot" tall.......They are all in "cuts" and man are they nice to hunt out of.....

We used square tubing on the "box" and the "tower" part......

I'll try to get some pictures and get them to "JT" so he can post them......

Good Luck, bud.... :clap:

Goddard

Loafy,
That looks great to me.... It will be awesome in the rain. Have fun!

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Loafy,

Be careful welding EMT. The galvinized nature of the tube can cause you some real problems if you breath the fumes produced from welding galvinized steel.

Be sure you have very good ventilation (at least).

Loafy

Yeah, thats interesting Jeff.
I had been told by many people that I would get Galvanic poisioning from the welding. That is one of the main reasons that I held off on getting into it. After searching around the internet for a while I finally can up on a study done by the New England Journal of Medicine about it.

They say that there is no permanent damage done by occasional exposure to welded galvanised metal. The coating melts before the steel and vaporizes into a fine white power. If you breathe too much of it you get flu like symptoms that come on about 4 hours after you are exposed.

They recommended that you wear a basic white breathing mask for occasional welding or a big dollar mask if you do it for a living.

I wore neither during 3 days of welding and I saw no ill effects. I really wanted to see if I would because my FIL gets violently sick when he is exposed to it. I was fine.

Of course I was welding outside in breezy conditions so who knows.....
I'm not telling anybody to try it. Just my $1.280