; Why people fail at work - Page 2 - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Around the Campfire

Old 08-21-2017, 03:09 PM

In manufacturing; it seems no one entering the field is up for any challenge whatsoever. I've read resumes that would justify six-figures, but the individual exhibits a lack of skill for simply plugging in a drop cord. Some we can coach into well skilled employees, others hang their selves with their own rope. This trend directly affects the seasoned employees as well. TIME will never be an incentive for pay increase, performance is the metric of merit I was taught to encourage compensation for achievements in the business. If employees shared costs and it was their money on the line, I believe we'd see a more successful workforce. Until then, they either want it; or they don't.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:29 PM
Admin

My experience is the reason most people who fail at work fail is because their employer failed them in one way or another.

Over the years I have fired several people and I viewed each one as my fault because I was unable to motivate teach, train or convince them to perform up to their potential. Admittedly some people just weren't cut out for the job but that was my fault too for not recognizing the person I was hiring just wasn't the right person for the job.

Over the years I have learned to do a better job of vetting candidates and if I hire them I work at cultivating them because my success depends on them being successful first and failure is not a viable alternative for either of us.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:23 PM

I see a lot of this at my company. I see a few basic types of failures though.
People who are miserable no matter what they are handed. Work like a dog but anything good that happens is immediately broken down into negatives. Makes everyone around them miserable as well so they eventually get replaced or the people around them leave.
lack of drive or caring. I see this a lot in the younger generation but its in the older as well. They never care about the company or respect the fact that said company is providing the food and shelter for them and their family.
Lastly, and this is a huge one. My company has had a boom the last couple of years that is totally unheard of. We have went from making 17k control rods per year to 133k this year. We went through a really bad few years and even laid a few off. But the ones that hung in their and took care of the company are treated like crap. We lost our 401k matches and insurance is through the roof. not to mention our company has a lower average pay than most around us. But the company keeps acting like we should be happy to work there and we keep on hanging in. But I see this as the biggest reason people lose the drive they had for the company.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfiii View Post
My experience is the reason most people who fail at work fail is because their employer failed them in one way or another.

Over the years I have fired several people and I viewed each one as my fault because I was unable to motivate teach, train or convince them to perform up to their potential. Admittedly some people just weren't cut out for the job but that was my fault too for not recognizing the person I was hiring just wasn't the right person for the job.

Over the years I have learned to do a better job of vetting candidates and if I hire them I work at cultivating them because my success depends on them being successful first and failure is not a viable alternative for either of us.
That's the way I look at employees.
My longest employed person is 32 years. the newest is 7 years. I work the newer employees thru a temp service for at least 9 months.You can find out what they are all about in that time frame.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:45 AM

[quote=elfiii;10851910]My experience is the reason most people who fail at work fail is because their employer failed them in one way or another.
QUOTE]

That's how I view it too...or a manager failed to teach/cultivate them.

I had this happen with one entry level employee we hired as I was not there for her enough as a manager. I worked 3 days in a client's office 70 miles away and she was the type of employee that wanted me there for her to guide her, and not over the phone. I knew she would leave, and didn't blame her. She's kickin butt in Atlanta now

Culture, feeling like a team, etc. At one time we had a industry leading employee retention rate and in my group we still do. No one has under 10 years with the company and most have 15+.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:18 PM

I work in public service, and the turnover rate is terribly high. The biggest reason for us based on exit interviews is salary, job responsibilities(Being on call, taking a work capacity test, ect.), and benefits. Very few people with 10+ years in my line of work.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:57 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakajak View Post
That's the way I look at employees.
My longest employed person is 32 years. the newest is 7 years.
That's excellent retention. We have several 20 year+ folks and scads of 15 year+ people. We have 5 newbies hired in the last year but outside of that everybody is long term with us. We have 3 retiring at the end of the year and will be looking to replace them with more of the same.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:49 AM
DOCTOR LUV

PMA will take you a long way. Positive Mental Attitude.

When you took a problem to my ex manager, he wanted you to give him at least 2 solutions. He said we knew our job better than he did, so why don't we solve the problem and he'd handle the rest .. he got fired.

Seriously wouldn't you rather come up with a solution, or management??
Old 08-23-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked On Quack View Post
PMA will take you a long way. Positive Mental Attitude.

When you took a problem to my ex manager, he wanted you to give him at least 2 solutions. He said we knew our job better than he did, so why don't we solve the problem and he'd handle the rest .. he got fired.

Seriously wouldn't you rather come up with a solution, or management??
His bosses didn't like him letting you make decisions he was being paid to make. Go figure.My guys want to make their jobs as easy as possible,but still make the company money.I listen then research for the end result.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:21 PM
Banned

because they aint working at work?
Old 08-23-2017, 06:23 PM
Banned

I dont get it, I always thought " bust it out and get it done", day goes by sooner, you make more money, no room for slacking in my field ( literally ), up before the sun.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:29 AM

I don't buy the 'manager failed' excuse. An individual must be willing to learn and assertive enough to soak up the knowledge for success. I do understand that strong leadership is key in retaining a productive workforce, but employees have to understand that success is earned.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Another factor is that in many workplaces, being a backstabber/brownoser is requisite to getting ahead. And often, managers continuously value those who are always atwitter, acting stressed, and appear to be busy all the time but actually not getting much of anything done over those who actually get the stuff done but aren't running around like a chicken with its head cut off. These do not contribute to good morale or company loyalty.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Spoken like a true leader. In my field people wash out quickly and it's usually due to lack of technical skills. Luckily when I started at the bottom the company wanted to train me. Today you sink, swim or come from India making less than the American
Old 08-24-2017, 06:14 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyHoel View Post
Spoken like a true leader.
I've been pretty successful at it based on profitability and employee morale. My people would walk through the gates of Hades, kill Satan dead as a carp and be home bragging about it by dinner time if I asked them to do it. I'd have a tip top dinner waiting on them and they would get something extra special in that next paycheck too.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:35 PM
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyHoel View Post
Spoken like a true leader. In my field people wash out quickly and it's usually due to lack of technical skills. Luckily when I started at the bottom the company wanted to train me. Today you sink, swim or come from India making less than the American

In my field, most folks would lose their nerve. Especially if they thought about the consequences of a mistake.

But, better to lose your nerve, than your life.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:14 AM

My supervisors perspective is that pressure makes diamonds. And I passed that along today to another department supervisor and he commented that pressure makes volconos explode also. I got a kick out of that.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:

Agreed!

Hire capable folks and mentor them, life is easier.
As a manager, my job is to progressively teach those below me to do my job. Provide them opportunities and training to reach their potential.

Those that shun responsibility don’t last as the rest of the team is carrying their weight and that’s unacceptable. Their failure is mine as they should have never been hired.

Last edited by Ruger#3; 11-29-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:41 PM
Bo$$ Mod

I worked the last 40 years, for a couple of different large Companies. I have seen intelligent, hard working people fail, because management set them up to. The last company, I worked for, was the worse. The company was ran by engineers for the most part. I have seen them take guys that were valuable to the company, doing a certain job. If the guy had an engineering degree, the Company gave him a pack on the back, a raise, and promotion, to supervisors. Some did well, but many failed because they knew nothing about working with or managing people. Most of them though they could do it strictly with metrics. Some left the company and some went back to their old jobs. I predicted it, most of them as soon as, or before they were promoted, and register my doubts each time. But, I was just an old South Georgian, that was not near as smart as they were. But, I did have the pleasure going behind the failure and picking up the pieces.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHillbilly View Post
Another factor is that in many workplaces, being a backstabber/brownoser is requisite to getting ahead. And often, managers continuously value those who are always atwitter, acting stressed, and appear to be busy all the time but actually not getting much of anything done over those who actually get the stuff done but aren't running around like a chicken with its head cut off. These do not contribute to good morale or company loyalty.
I have seen this.
I also will call out low production by the runner. I have one if those now. I call him out for what's not done and he starts telling me what all he had to go through to get here.

The problem is, I'm way smarter than him and explain how he should be farther along.

I need him for now. But I won't need him forever. And that will be the day......
Old 11-29-2017, 06:09 PM

Sometimes, bright capable people suck at certain job functions.

We often ignore that (employer and employee both). But I suspect that poor performance/failure is often because an otherwise good employee is as incapable at one necessary piece of the job as my wife with a remote control. Two master's degrees, over thirty very successful years in real, competitive, corporate environments and she cannot figure how to change a channel! Single blind spots in an otherwise superior skill set can send someone to the unemployment line.

I had to fire a guy - decades ago - who always seemed to "want" to do good, but just couldn't manage to finish an assignment. Pieces of his work product were brilliant, far above expectations, but I always had to get someone else in to finish the job. In hindsight, I think the problem was a clash of differing concepts of "work ethic." He thought he was doing great as long as he could "polish up a piece" of the job. I failed to get through to him that the only acceptable measures of performance were the quantity and quality of the finished work products! Differing expectations are killers.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:16 PM

In my profession, I'm a very highly motivated and skilled worker. Been with the company 22 years next month. However being a Union shop, the "buddy" system is still at work. The leads are not made leads based on their experience, OR anything else that you would think they would need to lead others, but are selected based strictly on seniority. 11 years of MY seniority was taken by the works of this "Union", placing me some distance down the seniority list. These "leads" have very poor organizational skills, poor people skills, poor administrative skills, poor work experience. Their "buddies" get all prime assignments. In order to be their buddy, you have to have a filthy mouth, a very fake / loud laugh, be very inconsiderate of others, extremely obnoxious, childlike, gluttenous, and down right obsurd. Well, I refuse to put on THAT hat! Therefore, I stay hidden and await retirement that will happen in a short time. What kills me are the guys that don't know ANYTHING about their job, and suck up to the idiots that DO have common sense. They act like they don't know ya when their buddies are here, but when they're NOT, they come sucking up to me wanting to feed me and work with me like I'm their best friend! Needless to say, I stay out of their filthy obnoxious inconsiderate "supper club", and quietly eat my own lunch in the corner reading my bible or my earbuds cranked to some easy listening, and simply tune them out. I really don't like being here on an everyday basis, but I do love my job. I would be an excellent employee if they only would grow up. The leads I work under have known me these entire 22 years, and treat me like I've been here 2 weeks! I'll be going to a different work classification the first of January, where I'm hoping my work ethic and eagerness will be recognized, and I can't wait. Guess that's why they call it work....
Old 12-02-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger#3 View Post
Agreed!

Hire capable folks and mentor them, life is easier.
As a manager, my job is to progressively teach those below me to do my job. Provide them opportunities and training to reach their potential.

Those that shun responsibility donít last as the rest of the team is carrying their weight and thatís unacceptable. Their failure is mine as they should have never been hired.
"Hire Hard and Manage Easy"...