GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Freshwater Fishing
Notices

Old 12-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Default How many hours on 200+hp outboards....

Can be expected before compression is lost, powerhead fails, lower unit wears out, etc?

Im back in the market for a bass boat. I will only buy a boat with Yamaha or Mercury with a warranty. I usually put 75-100 hours per year on an outboard. I use good fuel, do yearly maintenance, and take very good care of the engine.

How many hours can I expect to get out of a Pro XS or SHO or any HPDI type motor before an expected rebuild or powerhead replacement? Is 1000 hours too much to expect?

Also, do you think there is a difference in the durability of a 200HP versus 225/250 HP?
Old 12-06-2017, 10:35 AM

Anyone?
Old 12-06-2017, 10:49 AM

I have a 04 Sea Pro 24' bay boat, bought used. It has a 225 Yamaha 4 stroke. It has somewhere around 800-900hrs on it. I've had 0 issues in the 3 years I've owned it. I run in mostly salt and flush after every use. I was told by mechanic and a few guides. I should see 2-3000 hrs with regular maintenance. I was told to stay away from the HPDI. I see more Yamaha and Suzuki outboards on the alabama coast than anything. It's not a fast boat but I get great fuel mileage. I also replace the impeller every year and let it warm up on the 1st start like I'm warming up a vehicle before I take off.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabowhunter View Post
Can be expected before compression is lost, powerhead fails, lower unit wears out, etc?

Im back in the market for a bass boat. I will only buy a boat with Yamaha or Mercury with a warranty. I usually put 75-100 hours per year on an outboard. I use good fuel, do yearly maintenance, and take very good care of the engine.

How many hours can I expect to get out of a Pro XS or SHO or any HPDI type motor before an expected rebuild or powerhead replacement? Is 1000 hours too much to expect?

Also, do you think there is a difference in the durability of a 200HP versus 225/250 HP?
unless your using it for a commercial purpose you probably won't wear an outboard out from hours. You will likely have random stuff break because it sits unused for too long.

Definitely get a 4 stroke.

Last edited by boatbuilder; 12-06-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:45 PM

Had a Johnson Fast-strike 150 that was 20 years old when I sold it. It had over 1500 hours on it. I had a few electronic parts go bad on the motor. I never had anything mechanical go bad on the outboard. I did wear the axle out and had to replace that.
I took good care of the boat, only used E free gas, and used it every month of the year. You get out of it what you put into it. I bought a new one 2 years ago. It will last me 20 year also. I have a Mercury 150 4 stroke now.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the info. I fish 1-3 times per week all year and firmly believe that regular use extends the life expectancy.