; Helen area fishing options - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Fly Fishing

Old 12-21-2017, 03:16 PM
Default Helen area fishing options

Hey guys,
I looking for easy access, decent looking water in the Helen area. I will be up there on a business trip in the end of January. I plan on bringing a 5 wt and some bead heads. My only real fear is trespassing. It looks like a bunch of NFS land but still a few cabins. Can I fish in town without getting arrested? I won't be able to travel too far from our hotel and I probably won't have but a couple of hours to fish each afternoon, but I miss some good small water wading. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SB
Old 12-21-2017, 04:24 PM

When entering Helen from the Cleveland end of town on US 76, make a right on Edelweiss Street, fork off to the right until you see the river. Follow the river upstream and park in the parking lot next to the flumes of Cool River tubing, where you see picnic tables and group shelters on the right, at the river. I go there a lot, and have great luck sometimes, and not so great luck at other times. I lobbed a wad of chartreuse power bait into a pool and nailed an 17" brown there once. Go on a weekday, all public land.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialer View Post
When entering Helen from the Cleveland end of town on US 76, make a right on Edelweiss Street, fork off to the right until you see the river. Follow the river upstream and park in the parking lot next to the flumes of Cool River tubing, where you see picnic tables and group shelters on the right, at the river. I go there a lot, and have great luck sometimes, and not so great luck at other times. I lobbed a wad of chartreuse power bait into a pool and nailed an 17" brown there once. Go on a weekday, all public land.
Thank you sir! This is exactly was I was looking for. As I am not at all familiar with the area, when you say it is all public land, how far up and downstream can I wade without getting into trouble with landowners?
Thanks again!
SB
Old 12-21-2017, 05:07 PM

Fish all of downtown helen. Or head up to the chatahoochee river road. Once it turns dirt youre good to go for miles and miles. You couldnt fish it all in a year.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:08 PM

Also, consider Smith Creek at Unicoi State Park on the outskirts of Helen.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:46 PM

Check with fly shop in Helen, (Unicoi Outfitters), they have some private water next to there shop that is pretty reasonable to fish. As stated Smith creek at Unicoi State Park is stocked regular this time of year at is a delayed harvest stream. I wouldn't worry to much about trespassing as people put up plenty of signs.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:34 PM

I watched 4 little boys pulling trout out of Smith creek one after another! They were having a BLAST! Then their Dad walked up with another full stringer. None were concerned about size or limits....
Old 12-25-2017, 06:27 PM

Smith creek,beaded san juan worm in pink or yellow
Old 12-25-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialer View Post
I watched 4 little boys pulling trout out of Smith creek one after another! They were having a BLAST! Then their Dad walked up with another full stringer. None were concerned about size or limits....

Doesn't delayed harvest mean you have to release them?
Old 12-26-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureman View Post
Doesn't delayed harvest mean you have to release them?
This was in the summer time.... they didnít seem to care about limits.....
Old 12-27-2017, 01:19 PM

The river through Helen is a great winter fishery. Access is easy but please be aware that the overwhelming majority of the property along the river is privately owned. Just be aware and respect that so we can all continue to be able to fish it. Have fun!
Old 12-27-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
The river through Helen is a great winter fishery. Access is easy but please be aware that the overwhelming majority of the property along the river is privately owned. Just be aware and respect that so we can all continue to be able to fish it. Have fun!
Yes sir. Absolutely. Again, the last thing I want to do is anger a landowner. Do you have any spots that you might suggest I drop into the river to avoid conflict? When you say that the area along the river is privately owned, I'm assuming I can still get to it somewhere?

Thanks to everyone who responded!! I appreciate all the thoughts!
SB
Old 12-28-2017, 11:58 AM

You can access at any bridge in town and along the city park. The run right behind the FestHall is really good.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
You can access at any bridge in town and along the city park. The run right behind the FestHall is really good.
Thank you sir!