My Top 10 Walleye Lures

Jack Ryan

Live bait. Minnows - big ones. Night crawlers hooked through the head once. Leeches.

Pink, black, orange, chartruese jig heads, on 5# test line.

Little Joes.

10 foot Browning Noodle rod, with lite, clear mono line.

Those are the ONLY lures and rigs I use for Walleye.

Only variation I'll make on that is sometimes I'll tie about and inch or 2 of red thread in to the eye of a jig head IF I'm not getting any hits and getting frustrated.

lampern

Excellent list of lures.

I would add four more:

Rapala deep husky jerk

Rapala tail dancer

Bay Rat walleye crankbait deep and shallow

Bandit walleye crankbait deep and shallow

BeerThirty

Charteuse or black jig head tipped with a live minnow, fished right on the bottom. If you're on a boat in moving water, sometimes they really like the vertical jig.

Or, if you're fishing a lake, right at dusk with leech on a plain hook and split shot fished about a foot off the bottom under a slip bobber.

I never got into trolling walleye, but I know it's a really effective method, too!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have spent over four decades fishing here in western NC, and spent a good bit of that time fishing for walleyes. I'm far from being a walleye expert, but I've caught a lot of them over the years, like hundreds or thousands. You can catch a walleye or two on almost anything, but if I'm going out to try to get a limit of walleyes day in and day out, there are only a handful of things I'll fish with.

Early in the year when they're in the rivers or on the banks, a nightcrawler on a spinner rig or 1/8-1/4 oz. jighead. 3" chartreuse curlytail on a 1/4 oz jighead. Perch colored shad rap or Wally Diver.

The rest of the year: Nils Master or Rapala ice jigs. 3/4 oz Hopkins Shorty spoon in chrome. 1 oz Flex-it spoon in blue/white.

That's pretty much it, at least here. Your mileage may vary on Lanier or Lake Erie.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have caught them along bridge pilings with 1/4 oz. lead 1" & 2" grubs jigged. The colors that worked best was red, pink, green, white and black. They can be at any depth not just on the bottom. They seem to mostly hit when you pull up and then let fall. They hit on the fall.

gt40

PS: I would jig straight down within 3 feet or less from the piling.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
When you troll with a nightcrawler rig like in the video I usually put another hook on the end of the worm tail because many times they will hit the end of the worm and steal half the bait without getting hooked. With a second hook on the end hooks them every time.

gt40

Teh Wicked

Been fishing for 30 years...Never caught one.

Lindseys Grandpa

Been trying last year and a half at Carters, Blue Ridge and Seed and ain't caught one . Plenty spots, yellow perch, crappie and catfish .

buck1965

Having grown up walleye fishing ( my father hated bass fishing) and fishing walleye tournaments we pretty much stuck to a couple baits. During spring time when fish were up tributaries spawning, we would troll broken back rapala's on a three way rig. After the spawn we would concentrate our efforts on rock humps on the main river and drift across them with night crawler rigs on a three way rig. My father made all our rigs as he had in his mind perfected them after 40 years of fishing for them. lol

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The only problem with traditional northern walleye lures and tactics in our southern mountain reservoirs is that for much of the year, the walleye are holding at 50-60 feet or sometimes much deeper. I have caught them at over a hundred feet deep in Fontana- their eyeballs sometimes pop out when you reel them up. Vertical jigging is about the only logical way to reach them at those depths. I know a couple folks who do pretty good deep trolling Sutton spoons or the like with downriggers, though.

buck1965

The only problem with traditional northern walleye lures and tactics in our southern mountain reservoirs is that for much of the year, the walleye are holding at 50-60 feet or sometimes much deeper. I have caught them at over a hundred feet deep in Fontana- their eyeballs sometimes pop out when you reel them up. Vertical jigging is about the only logical way to reach them at those depths. I know a couple folks who do pretty good deep trolling Sutton spoons or the like with downriggers, though.

I can see the depth during the summer to be an issue. So now I see my challenge this spring. I am going to go out on Lanier and target walleye.