Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Fly Fishing

Old 02-03-2018, 01:27 PM
Default Getting started fly fishing

We all get asked this on occasion. What do I need to get started fly fishing?

I bet we all got started in different ways and have taken different paths to get to where we are, but isn't it cool that we learn a lot of the same things along the way? And we all probably go about things a little differently, yet we're all capable of catching fish. I know, I've fished with some of you.

I wrote up some pointers for aspiring fly fishermen.

http://northgeorgiasportsman.blogspo...y-fishing.html
Old 02-04-2018, 08:06 AM

Great information and excellent read!
Old 02-04-2018, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Good advice.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:16 AM

I started out in the mid 60's with a 7' Shakespeare Wonderod, Medalist reel and Scientific Anglers dbl. taper fly line, a couple of small poppers, a black ant and a tellico nymph all bought at a now out of business, but wonderful in its day,sporting goods store in Buckhead, in Atlanta. Caught my first trout, and a nice rainbow it was, on the nymph in a stream in NC. I read a book on how to cast a fly rod. It taught you to hold your upper arm close to your body. Using that method I hooked my ear lobe too many times to remember casting one of the little poppers. I finally divorced that method and kept my arm further away from my body, but using the same stroke. I'd never win a casting contest, but I get by and catch fish. No trout down here so its bream and crappie. I'm horrible on a vise and have given up tying except for Utah Killer Bugs -- hard to screw that one up. I do fabricate a small curly tail grub thing that bream tear up I call a bream bullet and I would think trout would go for it. I love fly fishing and also tenkara, the japanese brand of fly fishing. My problem now is a painful hip that most likely is going to have to be replaced. I'm out of fishing mode until that happens. See Emory surgeon Tuesday.
"But who do you say that I am?" (Matthew16:15) The most important question I will ever answer. Do I say He is my Lord?

Last edited by Bream Pole; 02-05-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:07 AM
Swamp Yankee

Great read,,,, thanks,,,, always wanted to learn to fly fish,,,,
Old 02-05-2018, 01:52 PM

Ha! I just noticed, that picture of the bluegill has a very familiar auto flyreel with electrical tape holding it on to the seat, haha, I think I might have seen that before.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:53 PM

Good write up Wes,
Old 02-05-2018, 02:11 PM

Great read ... my high school English teacher got me interested in fly fishing. Russell Stephens . Around 1967-68 . He also built me 2 rods I still use.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bream Pole View Post
I started out in the mid 60's with a 7' Shakespeare Wonderod, Medalist reel and Scientific Anglers dbl. taper fly line, a couple of small poppers, a black ant and a tellico nymph all bought at a now out of business, but wonderful in its day,sporting goods store in Buckhead, in Atlanta. Caught my first trout, and a nice rainbow it was, on the nymph in a stream in NC. I read a book on how to cast a fly rod. It taught you to hold your upper arm close to your body. Using that method I hooked my ear lobe too many times to remember casting one of the little poppers. I finally divorced that method and kept my arm further away from my body, but using the same stroke. I'd never win a casting contest, but I get by and catch fish. No trout down here so its bream and crappie. I'm horrible on a vise and have given up tying except for Utah Killer Bugs -- hard to screw that one up. I do fabricate a small curly tail grub thing that bream tear up I call a bream bullet and I would think trout would go for it. I love fly fishing and also tenkara, the japanese brand of fly fishing. My problem now is a painful hip that most likely is going to have to be replaced. I'm out of fishing mode until that happens. See Emory surgeon Tuesday.
You'd be right about the grub. I spent most of last year experimenting with new fishing methods like catching stockers with panfish poppers. I had never fished grubs on a jig head for trout, and caught the stew out of trout on them. I used pumpkinseed colored YUM grubs (big fat ones), and black 1/8 oz jug heads, and the stockers slap loved them. Also caught LOTS on tube jigs that most people use for crappie. The tube jigs have a real unique way of darting and gliding in the current, and bounce fantastically off the bottom.
Those were fun ways of catching trout that most people would consider unconventional. Also caught a whole bunch on YUM 2.5" crawfish with oversized 1/4 oz tube jig heads. Caught my biggest brown this year on it.
Always fun to get out there and play and experiment with new methods!
Old 02-05-2018, 07:52 PM

Great article. My first fly rod was an off brand cheapo. I did spend more than average on fly line (as I still do). I used an Altoids tin for a fly box.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:45 PM

I was about 10 years old and I saw a man hit the little creek me and my cousing were playing in with a fly rod. Craziest thing I had ever seen but he was catching fish and looking cool. and after watching a river runs through it a few years later I was sure enough hooked. I worked in the hayfields all summer and saved and after I got enough saved I bought a yellow eagle claw rod from walmart and was beating the brush around for years before I finally had a buddy teach me the ins and outs of fly fishing. I am by no means a pro but sure do love doing it.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:54 PM
Default Amen!

That was a wonderful read. I bookmarked so I could go back and reread your wisdom, and show it to some buddies.

You are right it is the fly tying that will get your wallet!