; Best mouse killer? - Page 3 - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Around the Campfire

Old 01-28-2018, 05:02 PM

Thanks to all....this has been a very helpful thread.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:24 PM

We own 2 Tomcats, never had a problem....
Old 02-03-2018, 09:40 PM

I don't like cats.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:59 PM

Update. Finally caught one. Big snap traps didn't work. Guess they got out and stole the bait. My bucket trap didn't work. Really think it was bad design on my part. Went and bought the Ratinator. Caught my first one today! Big one! Reset and go.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:25 PM

UPDATE AS OF THIS AFTERNOON -

I have caught 11 rats as of this afternoon. I have found that these dang rats have become very creative in maneuvering through a maze of various types of traps and poisons etc. I have raised the stakes in making sure that I catch these pests. I actually have multiple wooden Victor traps that I have baited with P-nut butter, Slim-Jims (recommended by the pest control people), and cheese. (They do NOT like Slim-Jims either). I also have multiple "Sticky Traps in place, also bags of rats poison, one larger black container with the several bars of rat poison baited inside of it placed in each storage unit, and also smaller bars of rat poison located in corners , and I even built one of the "Rolling Traps" (with 6" of water in it) that someone told me about recently. (Apparently, the rats don't like Mountain Dew either). All of these various traps etc are positioned throughout the areas as well.

When I mentioned educated rats, look at the first photo below of one rat that is tip-toeing across the edge of 3 sticky traps and one victor trap w/p-nut butter that were meant to seal off a corner area entirely BUT this rat makes it right past the 3 sticky traps that are placed edge to edge up against each other. The second photo shows the "Rolling Trap" (with 6" of water in it) which has not been in place but a few days and it has not caught anything yet. If you look in that photo, you can also see a victor trap on the floor behind it and that is where the rat was caught today that I didn't take a photo of. The last photo is of a rat killed in the victor trap w/p-nut butter last Friday afternoon.
Attached Images

Last edited by EAGLE EYE 444; 02-07-2018 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:17 PM

Well I checked the traps about an hour ago and I had caught another rat in a Victor trap that changed from the p-nut butter as I baited it with cheese yesterday afternoon. This trap was set right beside three of the sticky traps in trying to block off the corner area.

That makes 12 DEAD RATS now and I'm getting happier each day in hopes that this catching keeps up and I will be glad when I catch every one of these rodents.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:13 PM

I never had any luck with those bucket traps and putting up a ramp like that.

I started catching when I set the bucket NEXT to something they were climbing on any way and they just get of it and get after the bucket. St the end of the roller toward what they will get off from like it is a pipe they can just crawl right out on. If you leave an inch or so gap they have to step across then they have to commit to going on it and can't just test it to see if it is "steady". I've caught a lot of mice with the bucket setting next to a hay bale in the corner of a barn.

I also like to use a piece of dog food instead of peanut butter.

You can hot glue it down on the trigger of a trap or on to those cans. It doesn't mold or go bad near as fast as those other baits and with the high protein, they can't resist it. Cat food might be even better but I don't have any cats. Cat food is higher protein than dog food.

I think those sticky traps are a waste of time for rats or mice. They only catch the dumbest 2%.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:45 AM

Jack,
After somebody showed me the video of the rolling trap, I decided to fix one as it was rally cheap to do. Well, the rats have stayed away from the ramp and the trap overall. I do think that it might work IF I could position it in a different angle to the one corner that seems so active but I just don't have enough clearance to put it there and be able to close the door.

I have caught 5 of these rats on the sticky traps so far and the other 7 on the victor traps. However, these dang rats have obviously gotten smarter recently. I don't have any pets so I don't have any dog or cat food as such but that does sound interesting of gluing it down as such.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:02 AM

Man versus Ratz.
I think the rats,roaches,and other varmints will prevail in the end.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:54 AM

The Good News is that yesterday, I caught the 13th rat. Slowly but surely, I am thinning the herd!!!!!! Caught this one on a sticky trap.

I think the likely captions on these three photos below should be as follows:

Photo #0087: I'm Stuck and I can't get up !!!!!

Photo #0088: Lights Out with a hammer !!!!! (I found a good use of the cardboard core of paper towels and a hammer.)

Photo #0089: Another One bites the dust !!!!!
Attached Images