GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Fly Fishing
Notices

Old 02-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Default Further Up, and Further In

Came down with a case of....not the spotted fever, but the speckled fever. I've had the brook trout blues as of late. I generally stay off the blue lines in the dead of winter like this when the fishing is nearly shut down, but I just couldn't help myself yesterday. We've had a streak of fairly warm days. I spent some time monitoring stream gauges on the rivers lower down, and the water temps have been reasonable. I knew the water would be slightly colder higher up, but I suspected the small wild trout might be perky enough to play. Yesterday, I had time for a short trip, so I strung up the "small stream special", my trusty ol' 6' TFO 2wt, and hit the creek. Made my way straight to the falls, and up and over. I went in with the expectation of not catching a single fish. Expectation management was the plan for the day.
The first fish came almost immediately after I began fishing, and it was the largest of the day. It took a #20 BH WD-40 dropped about 12'' beneath an EHC. I'm guessing it was in the 8" ballpark, and had some sort of lesion on its eye, which is visible in the picture. It seemed otherwise healthy, and was obviously well fed. She had a gut!

Throughout the afternoon, I caught two more, both about equal in size. Maybe something like 6". I lost several that came unhooked, including an itty bitty around 2"-3", and also lost a biggun' that went about 10". It was substantially larger than the biggest one I caught yesterday. Had several missed strikes as well.
All of the fish after the first took, or attempted to take an olive BH Micro Mohair Leech I dropped beneath the EHC.
It wasn't a banner day for numbers, but it was about the best you could expect for a February day on a tiny stream.

I used to stay off these creeks during this time of year, but I believe targeting them during warm streaks like this is perfectly fine. For maybe five years now, and like a fool, I have been enjoying a certain blog online. If you've never come across it, it is called "Small Stream Reflections". I spend all winter reading the author's trip reports. He catches brook trout all winter long, usually multiple times per week on wet flies, nymphs, classic streamers, and occasionally dries as well. Often he is fishing nearly frozen blue lines in New England, and he still catches fish. I have been a fool in relishing his posts, yet not fishing blue lines in the dead of winter for myself. I will not make that mistake any longer, as yesterday proves that one can target these warm streaks and do reasonably well. It's always more than a pleasure to venture "further up, and further in".

All in all, I was very happy with the time I spent on yesterday's thin blue line. It was good medicine for the soul, and I'll be out there soon again. Tight lines, folks!

First fish of the day set the bar high!

Right in the bread basket

Gotta gut

Secret Weapon

A sight for sore eyes

Micro mohair leech

Last edited by Killer Kyle; 02-09-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:26 PM

Ok, 2 things...

#1 Awesome way to spend a winter day!

#2 My phone never rang.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:53 PM

Kyle, I always fished specs in February, one of my favorite times, as a matter of fact, there's one stream in particular I really want to get at, only issue is I need someone to go with me, the last time I was in there by myself was probably 10 years, I carried my self out with a couple broken ribs due to an ice covered rock.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Good stuff!
Old 02-09-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northgeorgiasportsman View Post
Ok, 2 things...

#1 Awesome way to spend a winter day!

#2 My phone never rang.
NGS, I called, but figured you didn't have service. I got your Miley "Wrecking Ball" ringback tone, but nobody answered?
Old 02-09-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mtn man View Post
Kyle, I always fished specs in February, one of my favorite times, as a matter of fact, there's one stream in particular I really want to get at, only issue is I need someone to go with me, the last time I was in there by myself was probably 10 years, I carried my self out with a couple broken ribs due to an ice covered rock.
I have fished these small streams in the past and didn't have much luck, so I just kind of stuck to bigger waters in the winter time. I had never really tried to target good, warm days like yesterday before, and I'm glad I did. It was a great learning experience!
I understand what you mean about the safety aspect of fishing certain creeks. Breaking ribs at 30 is one thing. Breaking ribs at 40 is another. We ain't getting any younger!

Last edited by Killer Kyle; 02-09-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
NGS, I called, but figured you didn't have service. I got your Miley "Wrecking Ball" ringback tone, but nobody answered?
Bahahabaha!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I have fished these small streams in the past and didn't have much luck, so I just kind of stuck to bigger waters in the winter time. I had never really tried to Target good, warm days like yesterday before, and I'm glad I did. It was a great learning experience!
I understand what you mean about the safety aspect of fishing certain creeks. Breaking ribs at 30 is one thing. Breaking ribs at 40 is another. We ain't getting any younger!
Yea, I hear ya, if your not busy next Tuesday, let's hit it! That's my next day off.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Yea, I hear ya, if your not busy next Tuesday, let's hit it! That's my next day off.
Tuesday is usually my day off, and should be next week also. I don't forsee my schedule changing, and I am willing to assist! I'll send you a pm!
Old 02-09-2018, 11:29 PM

Sounds like a nice trip

Are the speck streams in GA fly fishing only or can one use other artificial lures like spinners?
Old 02-10-2018, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
You must have dialed the wrong number. Unless he's changed it recently, Wes has the ABBA "Dancing Queen" ringback tone.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHillbilly View Post
You must have dialed the wrong number. Unless he's changed it recently, Wes has the ABBA "Dancing Queen" ringback tone.
Haha, that's more like it.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:21 AM

Hardee har har. Laugh it up boys. You keep it up and I'll have to take the "I'm With Her" sticker off my truck.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampern View Post
Sounds like a nice trip

Are the speck streams in GA fly fishing only or can one use other artificial lures like spinners?
There's only a couple artificial only streams in the state. They can be found in the fishing reg book or online. All the rest have no bait restrictions. Your spinners are artificial, and will be fine on any creek except DH streams which are single hook only.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:15 PM

Thank you Killer Kyle

Thatís what I thought
Old 02-10-2018, 01:39 PM

Excellent write up Kyle and a nice speck!
Old 02-11-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhuntingdawg View Post
Excellent write up Kyle and a nice speck!
Thanks so much DHD. This year, I hope you and Buckman have resolved to planning your trips a week in advance rather than the day prior. It is a miracle that I still am yet to meet you? Buckman will text me like 6:00 p.m. one day, and be like "hey, DHD and I are going to hit the creek at 6:00 a.m tomorrow.....you down?!"
It's getting ridiculous. The next time you're in town, I had better be given advance notice!!!! I'm ready and willing to teach you and Buckman how to fish.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:25 AM

Good stuff Kyle! I need to start trout fishing since the hogs haven’t been cooperating lately.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:59 AM

You come on anytime J! Always plenty of room on the creek!!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks so much DHD. This year, I hope you and Buckman have resolved to planning your trips a week in advance rather than the day prior. It is a miracle that I still am yet to meet you? Buckman will text me like 6:00 p.m. one day, and be like "hey, DHD and I are going to hit the creek at 6:00 a.m tomorrow.....you down?!"
It's getting ridiculous. The next time you're in town, I had better be given advance notice!!!! I'm ready and willing to teach you and Buckman how to fish.
My phone still hasn't rung, either.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
My phone still hasn't rung, either.
Yea, but you have way better fishing out your way. I think we all need to take a boat ride across Fontana with some camping gear and spend a couple days fishing a certain creek. I can haul about 4 fellers in my boat.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Yea, but you have way better fishing out your way. I think we all need to take a boat ride across Fontana with some camping gear and spend a couple days fishing a certain creek. I can haul about 4 fellers in my boat.
I'd be up for it. Done it once, would do it again.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northgeorgiasportsman View Post
I'd be up for it. Done it once, would do it again.
April or may? Your the best organizer, you got a whole lot more book learnin than I do.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Sounds really good to me. I have actually never wet a line in Certain Creek if it's the one I think you're talking about, but it was one of my dad and uncles's favorites.

We need to make another trip back to that other place, too.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Sounds really good to me. I have actually never wet a line in Certain Creek if it's the one I think you're talking about, but it was one of my dad and uncles's favorites.

We need to make another trip back to that other place, too.
Just don't sleep in a hammock