Help! My puppy has worms!

TigerGalLE

So I took my puppy to the vet today and it turns out he has roundworm and hookworm. I usually look at his poop and I've never seen any worms but today after he got worm medicine there was a huge long white worm in his poop!! :hair:

Is he pooping them out because they are dying?? Man that was really freaky!!

My puppy eats like a horse too. I thought it was b/c he was growing. Is it because he has worms? I hope he'll be okay. He seems fine. :huh:

T

tuffdawg

So I took my puppy to the vet today and it turns out he has roundworm and hookworm. I usually look at his poop and I've never seen any worms but today after he got worm medicine there was a huge long white worm in his poop!! :hair:

Is he pooping them out because they are dying?? Man that was really freaky!!

My puppy eats like a horse too. I thought it was b/c he was growing. Is it because he has worms? I hope he'll be okay. He seems fine. :huh:

If hes pooping them out, then you are good. The medicine is working like it is suppose too. :) Dont worry about it....... Worms are part of having a dog. :)

Dogmusher

Puppy will be just fine. It's quite normal. While they are on mother's milk they have a basic immunity. After that, they are vulnerable. Follow the vets advice and all will be well. The meds will cause pups to pass the worms and the larvae. Make sure you clean up all stools right away. Follow the instructions closely on the meds.

Be sure and worm any other dogs you have. If you have any children, it's doubly important to clean up the stools immediately.

We've all been through it. Welcome to dogdom.

jessicay

Worms are very common in puppies. They come from the mother, it is gross if you think about how it happens.

Since the vet wormed your puppy you are now seeing the worms come out because they are dead. It is gross but they need to come out. I would get my dog wormed again in about 2 weeks cause more will start to grow.

He is eating alot because he is growing. The worms could be some of it but not that much.

So don't freak out, it will be ok. Just worm his regularly.

ejs1980

It's good you took him to the vet. Roundworms aren't that bad but hookworms are awful. I had a couple of lab pups I got at six weeks. I wormed them every other week and and at 11 weeks of age they both went from fine to very lethargic and showing signs of parvo. The hookworms had caused them to be anemic to the point they almost had to have transfusions. I think they gave them panacure for a few days and all was well again. I learnde even if you buy the wormer and weigh them for dosage pyrantel doesn't allways get the hooks. Keep an eye on their gums as long as they are pink they are fine but if they start to turn pale get them looked at.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
If hes pooping them out, then you are good. The medicine is working like it is suppose too. :) Dont worry about it....... Worms are part of having a dog. :)

Yep!

TigerGalLE

Thanks for the reassurance! He pooped so more worms out earlier so hopefully he is on the road to recovery! I'll keep an eye on his gums. Thanks for that tip!

ga00035

I actually work at a Vet and we see an average of 70% of new puppies with worms so you are not alone. The worms, just as stated by others in this post, usually come from the mother or just from being in a new environment. The pooping out of extra worms means that the medicine is disposing the pup of the worms. Your vet should ask you for another fecal sample after the pup's treatment is done and should give you an all clear for no more worms. After this you need to make sure that all of the past fecals from you pup is out of the area where he will walk and use the bathroom because he will easily pick the worms back up and you will have to go through this all over again. Good luck and you and your pup should be fine.

will hunt 4 food

They are only harmful if you let them go. In extreme cases it can cause death. Just keep up with the meds and like mentioned before follow up with another dose in a couple of weeks. I worm on a regular routine just in case. Every thing will be good just keep on top of it. Your on the right track.

waterdogs

my dog has never had worms. I do not do the At Home method, I take mine to the vet and have them wormed. So far so good.

hoochfisher

Banned
if you think he is growing now wait till you get rid of the worms.

a more affordable option than the vet is doing it yourself. go to your local tractor supply or farm store, they should have some stuff in a pink bottle with d-worm written in blue. it's about five bucks, and it works great.it has a weight chart on it.give it to them about once a month. the best part is it lasts about ten doses, depending on the size of the dog. compare that to $25+ every time you take it to the vet just for the office visit.
tractor supply and most farm stores also carry all vacines execpt for rabies. they run $5 to $10 depending on the store. very easy to do yourself. put the wet stuff in the dry stuff, shake, pinch the skin on the back of the neck and give shot between the fold of skin you are pinching.

exept when they are sick(which is very rare) and rabies shots my dogs never see the vet.

91xjgawes

if you think he is growing now wait till you get rid of the worms.

a more affordable option than the vet is doing it yourself. go to your local tractor supply or farm store, they should have some stuff in a pink bottle with d-worm written in blue. it's about five bucks, and it works great.it has a weight chart on it.give it to them about once a month. the best part is it lasts about ten doses, depending on the size of the dog. compare that to $25+ every time you take it to the vet just for the office visit.
tractor supply and most farm stores also carry all vacines execpt for rabies. they run $5 to $10 depending on the store. very easy to do yourself. put the wet stuff in the dry stuff, shake, pinch the skin on the back of the neck and give shot between the fold of skin you are pinching.

exept when they are sick(which is very rare) and rabies shots my dogs never see the vet.

agreed