GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Archery and Primitive Skills > Bowhunting

Old 08-30-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Minimum Bow weight???

I'm sure this has been asked numerous times on here, but I wanted a quick answer without having to search.

What is the minimum bow weight that a person can legally hunt with? I'm looking to get a bow for my son (and if any of you have a youth bow you'd like to get rid of, let me know) but was unsure as to how much weight he'd have to be able to pull back.

Bandy
Old 08-30-2005, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDERSNATCH
I'm sure this has been asked numerous times on here, but I wanted a quick answer without having to search.

What is the minimum bow weight that a person can legally hunt with? I'm looking to get a bow for my son (and if any of you have a youth bow you'd like to get rid of, let me know) but was unsure as to how much weight he'd have to be able to pull back.

Bandy
Not sure about Fla. but, Mn is 40lbs. I'd bet its the same there too. I've hunted Fla before but dont remember for sure.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:51 AM

ga does not have a min. bow wt. any more.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:46 AM

Georgia is my concern. So, just to confirm, there is no minimum legal draw weight for a hunting bow in Georgia?

Has anyone had experience with youth using a low draw weight bow for hunting? Successes?

Bandy
Old 08-31-2005, 10:00 AM
Banned

Default Weight

I don't know what your son can pull back, or how old he is, but i have seen a 40lb high country produce speeds of 260fps with hunting set ups. I aint really sure what the arrow weight was, i'd guess around 200-220 grains, but it's possible.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Genesis Pro FPS

Anyone know what the Genesis Pro feet per second is? This is something that is not published anywhere. The Genesis website doesn't even say. Have you ever heard of anyone hunting deer with one and having success? The Pro model has a higher max draw weight and the original model states that it shoot with stored energy comparable to a 35 lb recurve. How does the Pro model compare to a recurve as far as lbs? Will a 35 lb recurve kill a deer anyway?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:11 PM

My 10 year old son shot a buck last year (his first bow kill) with a Browning Micro Midas set at 37 pounds. He was shooting carbon arrows and 75 grain Muzzy's.

He hit the deer in the spine and down he went. The broadhead was imbedded so tight I had to work pretty hard with a pair of pliers to pull it out.

I'm very impressed with the speed of that bow/arrow combination and I have no doubt he would've gotten a pass through on a broadside lung hit.

Today's bows are fast and efficient enough, even at fairly low poundage to do the job with deer sized game if you put the arrow where it should be and use sharp broadheads.

Good luck....................
"A hundred years from now it won't matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of truck I drove.........but the world will be a better place because I was important in the life of my two boys."
Old 08-31-2005, 07:34 PM

BowTech makes an awesome youth bow give Larry Rooks a call at Presision Archery he will set you on the right path.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:07 PM

Both of my boys started out with a Robin Hood youth bow. They started hunting with it as soon as they could pull and hold 30 lbs. It is only a 50% letoff but their strength increased rapidly as they practiced. Neither ever shot a deer with it but I am confident it would pass through a deer broadside with sharp blades.
The minimum in Ga. back in the late 70's was 35lbs. That was when everyone I knew shot Recurves. Most hunting bows then were from 35 - 50 lb draw weight. Very few shooters used sights or mech. releases. I shot a 45 lb Fred Bear bow with finger tab. Carried my arrows in a hip quiver and shot instinctively. Successful harvests were really tough in those days. Equipment of today opens the door for younger hunters. Not many pre-teens could pull a 35 lb draw recurve for even a 20 minute practice session.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:11 PM

There is a good article in the September GON about bows, draw weight and kinetic energy this month. Georgia has removed all restrictions as to the draw weight on bows.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:00 PM

FYI

The artical is written by our very own BowOnly.