GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > On Topic -- Questions and Answers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-09-2010, 06:33 PM
mikelogg's Avatar
mikelogg mikelogg is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lithia Springs Ga.
iTrader: (6) Check/Add Feedback
Default Why is my tax refund so much lower this year than last year

I can't figure this one out.We filed the same as 2008 ,except we made 4k more last year.We are getting 600.00 less on Fed. and 150.00 less on State.Could I be in a higher tax bracket,or are my taxes that much more for 2009?
__________________
LIVE FREE OR DIE!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-09-2010, 06:38 PM
shawn mills's Avatar
shawn mills shawn mills is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: monroe,ga
iTrader: (18) Check/Add Feedback
Default

probably the same reason I owe( ------) ! GUBERMENT LEACHES!
__________________
Grandaddy said a guns just like a woman son, it's all in how ya hold her.

Last edited by shawn mills; 02-09-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2010, 06:40 PM
david w.'s Avatar
david w. david w. is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Macon Ga
iTrader: (4) Check/Add Feedback
Default

i wish i could say that.
__________________
I'd rather fall with pride,Than crawl in shame.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2010, 06:41 PM
boneboy96's Avatar
boneboy96 boneboy96 is offline
The High Flying Mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roswell, GA
iTrader: (451) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn mills View Post
probably the same reason I owe 44k! GUBERMENT LEACHES!
Dang Shawn...
__________________
Ahh you know dude, it's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearin milkbone underwear! - pstrahin
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-2010, 06:48 PM
shawn mills's Avatar
shawn mills shawn mills is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: monroe,ga
iTrader: (18) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneboy96 View Post
Dang Shawn...
yeah BB! British Columbia startin to look REAL GOOD!
__________________
Grandaddy said a guns just like a woman son, it's all in how ya hold her.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-2010, 09:19 PM
jtdawg jtdawg is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Athens, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelogg View Post
I can't figure this one out.We filed the same as 2008 ,except we made 4k more last year.We are getting 600.00 less on Fed. and 150.00 less on State.Could I be in a higher tax bracket,or are my taxes that much more for 2009?
First, Compare your federal tax owed for 2008 and 2009. If 2009 is more than 2008 and you made 4k less in 2009 than 2008 you have miscalculated somewhere. The federal tax brackets have only slightly changed from 2008 to 2009 and that was to your benefit.

Other things it could be....Was your withholding throughout the year less this year? If you didn't pay as much in, obviously you don't get as much back.
Did you miss an exemption or did you lose an exemption? If you itemize are your deductions less? Did you have any tax credits last year that you don't have this year?

If things really are the same as 2008 except you made less, you should not have to pay more federal tax this year. You made a mistake somewhere.

I believe state would be the same.

EDIT: I think i misread and see that you make 4k more in 2009 than 2008. If your withholding did not increase with your pay increase then you won't get as much back.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2010, 08:37 AM
jimbo4116's Avatar
jimbo4116 jimbo4116 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelogg View Post
I can't figure this one out.We filed the same as 2008 ,except we made 4k more last year.We are getting 600.00 less on Fed. and 150.00 less on State.Could I be in a higher tax bracket,or are my taxes that much more for 2009?
I am not subject to withholding from a paycheck, but I believe that the withholding rate (for lack of a better term) was lowered last year and touted as a tax reduction. In fact you did not get a tax cut but a reduction in the amount of tax withheld, now that chick has come home to roost.

Compare your w-2 from 2008 to 2009. You will probably find you had less dollars withheld in 2009 even with the same or more income.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2010, 10:26 AM
huntfish's Avatar
huntfish huntfish is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelogg View Post
I can't figure this one out.We filed the same as 2008 ,except we made 4k more last year.We are getting 600.00 less on Fed. and 150.00 less on State.Could I be in a higher tax bracket,or are my taxes that much more for 2009?
If you earn more, you pay more....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-2010, 10:27 AM
secondseason's Avatar
secondseason secondseason is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: N Georgia
iTrader: (3) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo4116 View Post
I am not subject to withholding from a paycheck, but I believe that the withholding rate (for lack of a better term) was lowered last year and touted as a tax reduction. In fact you did not get a tax cut but a reduction in the amount of tax withheld, now that chick has come home to roost.

Compare your w-2 from 2008 to 2009. You will probably find you had less dollars withheld in 2009 even with the same or more income.

Exactly!!
__________________
Thankfully...owned by Satchmo!!
if you didn't want your feelings hurt, then you shouldn't have brought them w/you
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-2010, 10:38 AM
NOTNKSNEMOR's Avatar
NOTNKSNEMOR NOTNKSNEMOR is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Byron, Ga.
iTrader: (6) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Did you claim the "Making work pay" tax credit?

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...204447,00.html
__________________
"...your unmitigated hatred of Obama means that LITERALLY nothing he could do would please any of you..." - bigreddwon
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-10-2010, 11:16 AM
PaulD PaulD is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: the land that time forgot
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelogg View Post
i can't figure this one out.we filed the same as 2008 ,except we made 4k more last year.we are getting 600.00 less on fed. And 150.00 less on state.could i be in a higher tax bracket,or are my taxes that much more for 2009?


change!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-10-2010, 05:23 PM
jtdawg jtdawg is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Athens, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo4116 View Post
I am not subject to withholding from a paycheck, but I believe that the withholding rate (for lack of a better term) was lowered last year and touted as a tax reduction. In fact you did not get a tax cut but a reduction in the amount of tax withheld, now that chick has come home to roost.

Compare your w-2 from 2008 to 2009. You will probably find you had less dollars withheld in 2009 even with the same or more income.
The witholding rate was lowered so that 400 per individual less was taking out as withholding for the year. You have to take the making work pay tax credit of 400 when you file which will lower your tax liability and make it truly a tax cut. So they didn't adjust the tax tables, just added this credit. Some people had issues where when they lowered the withholding rate they lowered it too much so they didn't take enough. These people are getting less back because they paid in less.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-10-2010, 07:41 PM
mikelogg's Avatar
mikelogg mikelogg is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lithia Springs Ga.
iTrader: (6) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Thanks for the replies folks.I did a double check and I did pay less Fed. tax in 2009 than in 2008.
__________________
LIVE FREE OR DIE!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-10-2010, 07:43 PM
mikelogg's Avatar
mikelogg mikelogg is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lithia Springs Ga.
iTrader: (6) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo4116 View Post
I am not subject to withholding from a paycheck, but I believe that the withholding rate (for lack of a better term) was lowered last year and touted as a tax reduction. In fact you did not get a tax cut but a reduction in the amount of tax withheld, now that chick has come home to roost.

Compare your w-2 from 2008 to 2009. You will probably find you had less dollars withheld in 2009 even with the same or more income.
This is exactly what happened.
__________________
LIVE FREE OR DIE!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Rangerboats's Avatar
Rangerboats Rangerboats is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lithia Springs, Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Your not the only one. I had a simple W-2 like last year, made a little more this year and got $800 less back this year than last!!! Thank you Mr. President!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Luckybuck Luckybuck is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lake Allatoona
iTrader: (4) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Government does not give you "REFUNDS" you just overpaid what you owed that was your money to begin with. This time of year puts me in a bad mood.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 AM
tv_racin_fan's Avatar
tv_racin_fan tv_racin_fan is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Confusion
iTrader: (6) Check/Add Feedback
Default

My wife asks me almost every year, Why don't I get anything back? At Christmas she mentioned it and my sister said it is because you are doing a good job, the last thing you want is a big refund because that means you allowed the govt to borrow money from you at no interest. The wife said yeah but I had to pay the state, sis said that means you did an even better job. That means the govt allowed you to keep some of their money interest free. The wife hopes she didn't do a really super job this year because it will mean she had to pay both state and fed...
__________________
"Why should lawful citizens be legally restricted by what the unlawful segment of society will do illegally in spite of the law?" Tennmike
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-12-2010, 04:38 PM
MolenaPapa's Avatar
MolenaPapa MolenaPapa is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Molena,GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Remember the stim. money the Prez. sent you? He didn't give us anything. They adjusted the withholding so that we would have to pay it back. If you did not adjust your withholding appropriately you are now having to pay back at least that amount or more or you get less refund back.
Supposed to have made Obm look good but like most of his other change agenda it has fallen backfired. The Feds merely loaned you your own money and now it's pay back time.
__________________
MolenaPapa
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger