GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Archery and Primitive Skills > Traditional Archery

Old 04-25-2010, 07:05 PM

Default Shakespeare Necedah

I want to clean this bow up. Any suggestions or directions on what I could do? It's just the finish that seems to be worn.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2010, 10:20 PM

My way may not be the best way, but what I did for a bow in similar condition was scrape off the fractured finish with a sharp straightedge. I then used 100 grit paper to smooth out the edges of the finish that had been left which was mainly at the fade-outs of the limbs as well as to refinish the riser. I followed this up with some 150 grit then 0000 steel wool before spraying on a new finish.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al33 View Post
My way may not be the best way, but what I did for a bow in similar condition was scrape off the fractured finish with a sharp straightedge. I then used 100 grit paper to smooth out the edges of the finish that had been left which was mainly at the fade-outs of the limbs as well as to refinish the riser. I followed this up with some 150 grit then 0000 steel wool before spraying on a new finish.
What kind of finish did you use?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cch0830 View Post
What kind of finish did you use?
I have used MinnWax semi gloss spray on lacquer and Deft lacquer spray. You can also use a spray on poly but I like the lacquer beter. The professional guys use a finish that I cannot think of the name of right now but I understand you have to buy it by the gallon and it ain't cheap.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:07 AM

I've jusr finished re-finishing a '74 Bear super Grizzly in about the same condition. All I did was sand off all the old laquer with 100grit sandpaper (be real careful not to take off too much glass, you'll hear the difference) I then re-sanded with 240 grit.
The riser got 4 coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil, hand rubbed. Once that was dry & all the grain filled, I went over it very gently with some 600 grit wet & dry. I sprayed the whole bow then, with 6 coats of Tru-Oil (from an aerosol), dried for 48 hours &flatted with 600gr again, then finished with 4 final coats.
The finish is like glass! It needs another 24 hours to fully cure & then I'll take a few pics, if anyone's interested.