Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Freshwater Fishing

Old 08-26-2010, 10:49 AM

Default New Academy Sports on the way!

I just read that there are going to build a new Academy Sports on Hwy. 124 in Snellville. It's going in at the corner of 124 and Janmar near the Lowes. I can't wait. I've heard great things about Academy, but just too lazy to drive up to Athens to check them out. I wonder if this will put a dent in the BPS.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMudd View Post
I just read that there are going to build a new Academy Sports on Hwy. 124 in Snellville. It's going in at the corner of 124 and Janmar near the Lowes. I can't wait. I've heard great things about Academy, but just too lazy to drive up to Athens to check them out. I wonder if this will put a dent in the BPS.
I'll let you know when it gets permitted. The plans have not come in yet and probably will be at least an 12-18 month construction.

I think it will put a dent in the BPS, besides the Dick's in Loganville there isnt anywhere else to go in the area.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:15 AM

Sweet! Ive always wanted to go to Academy, but Athens is too far of a drive for me right now. I think there is one in Macon, but everytime I'm passing by I go to BPS and forget all about Academy.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:18 AM

yes!!! keep us posted, troutman3k
Old 08-26-2010, 11:24 AM

You will enjoy Academy I quit shopping At BPS in Macon and go a little further to get to academy . There prices are so much lower. Great customer service also.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM

Academy is MUCH cheaper than BPS. Not quite as big of a selection, but they still have a TON of fishing stuff. One thing I don't like is their lack of flyfishing stuff. Just a few cheap reels and fly lines.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:11 PM

That’s great news…..Academy is a great store and the one in Athens stepped up BIG TIME and sponsored the Sportsman Living Bass Classic held a couple weeks ago at Bear Creek. Top Notch folks who were so generous and helpful!

I got nothing but the utmost respect for them! Keep us posted Trout…..I’ll drive to Snellville to shop there!
Old 08-26-2010, 02:09 PM

I knew Cletus would be excited about this.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:44 PM

I guess we'll just have to stick with Gable's and Natures Tacklebox over here on the west side. Academy is a fine store.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:46 PM

Dang, we need one in McDonough real bad....

Old 08-26-2010, 06:51 PM

i miss home (san antonio) where there is an academy on every block!! (academy was started there in the early 1900's)
Georgia just doesn't have the selection I'm used to. Academy, Gander Mountain, Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas, & BPS
Old 08-26-2010, 06:54 PM

Default Academy in Greenville, SC

Great news!!

I visited my daughter in Greenville, SC a few weeks ago. They have an Academy and we visited that store. I was very impressed with their fishing department and the selection they offered. It was not as large as BPS but their pricing definitely looked better!! They also carried products that I have had to order via the Internet because BPS does not carry them.

I will definitely drive to Snellville to visit this Academy.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:11 PM

I like Academy, especially their crankbaits. Some look suspiciously like a Lucky Craft but are 4 bones. Having both in Macon makes my monthly Macon run a little more spendy.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:25 PM

Old 08-28-2010, 07:18 PM

Academy is awsome, I'm lucky to have one about twenty miles away and honestly I don't know what I did befor except do without and spend more money othe places. You will not be dissapointed.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:20 PM

i like academy but their selection obviously isnt as good. i find that if you are buying anything in bulk that bps still is cheaper, like some more expensive hooks etc come in per 5 pack at academy but 25 pack per at bps. thats the only thing i dont like as much, i live in between the academy in athens and the bps in lawrenceville so i just go to whichever depending on what i need
Old 08-29-2010, 04:01 PM

hey pmang theres one in chattanogga only a little over an hour away way worth the drive.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:51 PM

we need one bad in northwest georgia. Marietta, Acworth, or Cartersville would be excellent. We don't have any major stores over this way. I love to visit Academy Sports.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:44 PM

That's great. I always stop in at the one in Birmingham when I visit my parents.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:44 PM

They also need to bring Cabelas...but Academy is awesome! Prices are way better there.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:56 PM

Theres an Academy in Gadsden, AL.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachrollo View Post
You will enjoy Academy I quit shopping At BPS in Macon and go a little further to get to academy . There prices are so much lower. Great customer service also.
All true.

But be a little cautious at the current Academy location. Broad daytime is probably OK, but it definitely is pretty near to gangstaville in the current location.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:18 PM

I guess the demographics in Snellville have finally degraded to a point that they will build there. Seems they always have Academy Sports in the worst areas. I use to enjoy going to the one in Macon when I was down that way, but now I won't even go to that side of town. The one in Athens is a little better, but still not in the high rent district.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Cervantes View Post
I guess the demographics in Snellville have finally degraded to a point that they will build there. Seems they always have Academy Sports in the worst areas. I use to enjoy going to the one in Macon when I was down that way, but now I won't even go to that side of town. The one in Athens is a little better, but still not in the high rent district.
Really? Or maybe it has to do with the fact that there are 80-90k cars each way (north and south) a day on Highway 124. Thats probably it. Im not sure a major retailer would locate in an area with poor demographics. Poor people dont spend money on luxury items, not exactly sure what you are trying to say?

The peice of property that Academy is locating on is in the middle of a very robust business district.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman3000 View Post
Really? Or maybe it has to do with the fact that there are 80-90k cars each way (north and south) a day on Highway 124. Thats probably it. Im not sure a major retailer would locate in an area with poor demographics. Poor people dont spend money on luxury items, not exactly sure what you are trying to say?

The peice of property that Academy is locating on is in the middle of a very robust business district.
I am fully aware of the demographics of Snellville. I lived there since 1970 and moved away from the change in scenery 3 years ago. Just ask the retailers that pulled out of the Avenues a mile or two up the road how the demographics have changed.

Numbers in population and traffic do not equate to prime income earners in demographics.Why didn't SA choose instead to build over on Hwy 20 between Grayson and Loganville where the traffic is equivelant but the demographics are better and future growth is on the incline, instead of decline? Or on Hwy 78 between Loganville & Monroe? or even between Snellville & Loganville? I can think of many better locations with future growth potential.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 AM

Academy is a regional retailer. They will draw from all of those areas and 124 is a central location. Its not like Walmart where you need one in every town. And yes, car counts are one of the main factors considered when locating a new retail location. I can guarantee you that the 80-90k cars a day arent all Snellville Citizens.

Land price and development costs are another big one. They probably were able to get the land at a better bargin because it had already been developed on and was sitting vacant for a couple year.

I agree Highway 20 would be ok but it not at a major intersection for regional travelers. Highway 78 is a major east west thoroughfare that brings thousands of cars each day as well.

They wouldnt locate in Loganville because Dicks is there. The fact of the matter is there in the middle of a large area with little to no competition. Believe it or not retailers want to be on 124 and not 78 since it is on a downswing in the development cycle.

What quality retailers are you speaking of that left the Avenues. The mexican resturant? To my knowledge the Avenues is still thriving.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 AM

Miguel-This new info is a bit of a buzz kill. At first I was excited that there would be an Academy that close to my house and now I realize I have to move....
Old 09-04-2010, 02:11 PM

The heck with any new top of the line sporting goods in the Atl area. We need something to compete against the BPS that we thought was going to be a GOD send for us in the Savannah area. Don't get me wrong, they have a decent selection but I still have to order online for alot of stuff.. An Academy close to us would be nice!!
Old 09-04-2010, 03:32 PM

Need one in north ga. Yall have all the good stuff down there.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:44 PM

Default academy vs bps

id drive 20 miles past a bps to get to an academy, when have you seen brass cased 223 soft point for 6$ a box at a bps?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMudd View Post
Miguel-This new info is a bit of a buzz kill. At first I was excited that there would be an Academy that close to my house and now I realize I have to move....
Just today's news. It sure isn't the quaint little town I grew up in, that's for sure.

http://wsbradio.com/localnews/2010/0...-county-b.html

WSB News

Gun Fired At Gwinnett County Bank Robbery

By
Veronica Waters
@ September 8, 2010 1:24 PM Permalink | Comments (2)

(WSB Radio) The FBI is investigating an armed bank robbery in which at least one gunshot was fired.

FBI Special Agent Steve Emmett says it happened within the noon hour at a Wachovia branch at 3520 Centerville Highway near Snellville.

Two black males, possibly the Wig Wearing Bandits that have hit Metro Atlanta area banks recently, are the suspects, say investigators.

http://wsbradio.com/localnews/2010/0...rent-homi.html

WSB News

Snellville Woman Apparent Homicide

By
Jon Lewis
@ September 8, 2010 3:15 AM Permalink | Comments (1)

(WSB Radio) Gwinnett County Police are trying to determine the motive behind the apparent murder of a woman Tuesday afternoon.
Police say 61-year-old Eva May Francis died a violent death. Officers found her home on Garnet Way in disarray.
Officers were called to the Snellville on Tuesday.
"The police got a phone call about a woman who had not been heard from, and her family was trying to get in contact with her," Corporal Brian Kelly tells WSB.
When officers arrived, they found the victim dead inside.
"It's theorized that she definitely suffered as the victim of a homicide," says Kelly. "It won't be known until an autopsy is conducted."
The Gwinnet County Medical Examiner's Office tells WSB those results may not be available until Thursday morning.
Kelly says the woman's family lives in another state, and that her husband is out of the country.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket Chunker View Post
Dang, we need one in McDonough real bad....

They have a sign up on 20/81 headed towards McDonough that says an Academy is being built across from the JCPenney and Hobby lobby complex
Old 03-02-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt61 View Post
They have a sign up on 20/81 headed towards McDonough that says an Academy is being built across from the JCPenney and Hobby lobby complex
Yep, its there!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:07 AM
GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt61 View Post

I think it is suppose to open April 1st?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:11 AM

Heard a rumor they were gonna build one somewhere near Cumming.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Whats going in Hiram? I heard there was a Bass Pro or Cabela's
Old 03-02-2011, 11:04 AM

Anyone else think its funny that at the red light intersection to BPS in macon academy has bought advertisement on the billboard for everyone to see that is about to turn into BPS.......lol.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Whats going in Hiram? I heard there was a Bass Pro or Cabela's
supposed to be an acadamy going in the old kroger building.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 PM

One is going up on 20/81 in McDonough.. Not sure when it opens, though.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riprap View Post
I guess we'll just have to stick with Gable's and Natures Tacklebox over here on the west side. Academy is a fine store.
Natures Tackle boxs is going to get hurt because there is one coming in over there. I think in an old kroger shopping center.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 PM

I wish they would build one here.We dont have much tackle stores here in the Albany GA.We have 3 that I know of.Backwoods, Wf surplus and freds bait and tackle.Wf surplus prolly the better of the 3.better prices seems like there on there rods.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPaw Draw View Post
I think it is suppose to open April 1st?

Maybe sooner I hope..... maybe they will have a grand opening sale?????
Old 06-23-2011, 08:21 AM

Grand Opening scheduled for July 1st! I saw the store last week and it is massive. They had a whole wall of big bite baits. I could barely contain myself.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:28 AM

oooo...good news! thanks for the update troutman!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:46 AM

what else are they building on that property?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:58 AM

I live in Snellville and look forward Academy's opening. I believe they are also building an Olive Garden restaurant at this location.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfowler View Post
I live in Snellville and look forward Academy's opening. I believe they are also building an Olive Garden restaurant at this location.
Correct Sir. Olive Garden is to start construction next week.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:02 AM

There will also be another outparcel that will contain 3 stores or so. Those stores have not been decided as of yet.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 AM

Is this store still going to be located by the Lowes in Snellville on hwy 124?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos201 View Post
Is this store still going to be located by the Lowes in Snellville on hwy 124?
Yes, at the old Ford Lincoln Mercury lot, they bulldozed the old dealership and built on that lot.