GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes

Old 11-20-2010, 01:35 PM

Default Vortex Viper PST mounted with pics.

People have been asking about what ring height will work with the new PST 6-24x50mm scope. Here are a couple of pictures of my Savage with their Target action with a very heavy barrel.

The scope is a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP MOA with a Vortex Custom Elevation Turret made for 6mm Norma BR. which is accurate all the way out to 1,200 yds. which is the farthest I have shot it so far.

The Picatinney rail is a 20 MOA made by EGW and Burris low Extreme Tactical rings. The scope fits low with enough room for Butler Creek pop open cover without touching barrel which is a # 43 for the objective & a # 16 for the eye piece.

Hope this helps since the new scopes should be out by February 2011 I hope.

gt40

PS: The target is the first one I shot at 400 yds. with the Custom Turret to see if I was on the paper!!!!

Picture with 5 shot 3/8" group was shot at 200 yds.

I also put a high quality UV filter on the objective lens so I can not scratch the lens only the filter which cost about $12.
Attached Images

Last edited by GT-40 GUY; 07-16-2013 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Add more info.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 AM

If you notice I have 2 bubble levels on rifle first. The one on the rail is to get the rail (action) level. After it is level I make sure the vertical cross hair is perfect then I mount the offset bubble on the scope tube and then remove the one attached to the Picatinney rail.

joseph
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 PM

Very nice, im considering the same scope in 4-16-50 to go on my 6.5 Grendel. Perhaps I need to step up to the 6-24-50 as well to venture towards a 1000 yards. Ive shot out to about a 500 yards max.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 PM

Nice looking set up !! Looks like it'll shoot too!
Old 07-15-2013, 01:28 AM

Man u've really got that rifle tricked out! Doesn't even look like a Savage & just to be sure since I got to it by following a link on .243's. Is that what caliber that is. Also wanted to ask you about the UV filter you placed on the objective lens. Early in the mornings & as the sun's going down, does it interfere with the light at all? Just wondering since I see a lot of Deer just before quitting time but still legal time & just wanted to know how much of the last available light does it hinder, if any at all? Thanks so much 4 your time
Old 07-15-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot29 View Post
Man u've really got that rifle tricked out! Doesn't even look like a Savage & just to be sure since I got to it by following a link on .243's. Is that what caliber that is. Also wanted to ask you about the UV filter you placed on the objective lens. Early in the mornings & as the sun's going down, does it interfere with the light at all? Just wondering since I see a lot of Deer just before quitting time but still legal time & just wanted to know how much of the last available light does it hinder, if any at all? Thanks so much 4 your time
It is a 6mm Norma BR. The UV filter does cut down on the light, but last season I saw a deer at about 100 yds. and it was so dark that I barely knew it was a deer with my eyes. When I looked through the scope I could count the points.

gt40

PS: The .243 is on left and the 6mm Norma BR. is on right. The .243 is a little faster, but the short one is much more accurate even considering how accurate the .243 is.
Attached Images

Last edited by GT-40 GUY; 07-16-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:02 PM

I'm savage fan to If i ever do swap my barrel out i'm leaning toward going with 6 Dasher for the extra velocity.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucknhunter View Post
I'm savage fan to If i ever do swap my barrel out i'm leaning toward going with 6 Dasher for the extra velocity.
The 6mm Norma BR. can be chambered for no neck turn brass ( mine is .271 )and the little increase in velocity won't gain you anything when you consider all your extra case prep work with the dasher. IMHO.

gt40

Last edited by GT-40 GUY; 10-18-2013 at 12:03 PM.