GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Political Forum

Old 03-16-2011, 01:16 PM

I know its California but you can buy it on Sunday and any other day. You can buy alcohol at Gas Station with stores, Wal-Mart, Supermarkets, 7-11s, Drug stores and in fact a lot of places 24 hours a day. however they really do a good job of checking ID.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty five ought six View Post
I remember when you could a cocktail "to go" through the drive through windows in Florida liquor stores.

Now that was some good times.
Still can if you know the right places.... just sayin'

(Not that I drink cocktails/liquor)
Old 03-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Moderate Anarchist and Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligator View Post
I know its California but you can buy it on Sunday and any other day. You can buy alcohol at Gas Station with stores, Wal-Mart, Supermarkets, 7-11s, Drug stores and in fact a lot of places 24 hours a day. however they really do a good job of checking ID.
I was surprised to find hard liquor in grocery stores, next to the potato chips out there.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:27 PM

Looks like it passed.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskey_33 View Post
Looks like it passed.
Let me be the first...
Old 03-16-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunt View Post
Let me be the first...
It's not law yet. Still some hurdles to clear, and this is only OK'ing the ability to vote on Sunday sales.

http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-poli...ns-874657.html
Old 03-16-2011, 01:39 PM

I will probably drink less. I always tend to buy more than I need on Sat. and feel obligated to drink it all on sun.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:26 PM

It passed the Senate today by a clean 10 votes, now it goes to the House.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:35 PM

Here's whats stupid about the current laws. I can't go to a grocery store to get a bottle of wine for dinner. Yet, I can go to a local restaurant and order a bottle of wine with food, have one glass, and they will package the rest up and send it home with me. Does that make any sense what so ever? Its rediculous. But thats OK, because my wife and I can each have a glass of two different types of wine and we get to bring BOTH bottles home with us.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjockey View Post
Here's whats stupid about the current laws. I can't go to a grocery store to get a bottle of wine for dinner. Yet, I can go to a local restaurant and order a bottle of wine with food, have one glass, and they will package the rest up and send it home with me. Does that make any sense what so ever? Its rediculous. But thats OK, because my wife and I can each have a glass of two different types of wine and we get to bring BOTH bottles home with us.
You must be speaking of Seattle, because in Georgia that is a violation of the open container law:

Open Container Law
The law defines "open alcoholic beverage container" as any bottle, can, or other receptacle that contains any amount of alcoholic beverage and: (1) is open or has a broken seal; or (2) the contents of which are partially removed.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Cervantes View Post
You must be speaking of Seattle, because in Georgia that is a violation of the open container law:

Open Container Law
The law defines "open alcoholic beverage container" as any bottle, can, or other receptacle that contains any amount of alcoholic beverage and: (1) is open or has a broken seal; or (2) the contents of which are partially removed.
Only in the passenger area.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Cervantes View Post

Open Container Law
Well then Im an outlaw. Because Ive been to several restaurants that allow it. Oops to them, good for me!

But I think your wrong.

GEORGIA – A WINEDOGGYBAG STATE
Senate Bill 55 has been put into law allowing restaurant patrons to remove, for off-premises consumption, a resealed partially consumed bottle of wine that was purchased with a meal provided the bottle is placed in a bag that is secured in such a manner that it is visibly apparent if the container has been subsequently opened or tampered with.

A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Article 1 of Chapter 6 of Title 3 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to general provisions relative to wine, so as to authorize restaurant patrons to remove for off-premises consumption a resealed partially consumed bottle of wine that was purchased with a food item; to amend Article 11 of Chapter 6 of Title 40 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to miscellaneous provisions of the uniform rules of the road, so as to provide that a resealed partially consumed bottle of wine that was purchased with a food item is not an open alcoholic beverage container for purposes of the prohibition against possessing an open container of alcohol in the passenger area of a motor vehicle; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:16 PM

You can't legislate morality. Doesn't work that way. I probably drink maybe a 6-pack in a year's time tops. I got that out of my system in College and never have had a desire to drink it since. I wouldn't care if you don't ever have the chance to purchase it because of the many abuses that lead to deaths every single year. What I would like to see is a huge tax increase on alcohol sales to help offset the costs born by the general public based on the abuse of alcohol. Feel free to use it, but pay even more to support the negatives caused by it. Raise the DUI level and penalities as well. I feel the same way about cigarettes. Anywho, that is my opinion. Also, for what it's worth, whenever the Sunday sales or mixed drink referundums have come up for vote down here, I have voted no every time.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWalls View Post
You can't legislate morality. Doesn't work that way. I probably drink maybe a 6-pack in a year's time tops. I got that out of my system in College and never have had a desire to drink it since. I wouldn't care if you don't ever have the chance to purchase it because of the many abuses that lead to deaths every single year. What I would like to see is a huge tax increase on alcohol sales to help offset the costs born by the general public based on the abuse of alcohol. Feel free to use it, but pay even more to support the negatives caused by it. Raise the DUI level and penalities as well. I feel the same way about cigarettes. Anywho, that is my opinion. Also, for what it's worth, whenever the Sunday sales or mixed drink referundums have come up for vote down here, I have voted no every time.
I feel the same way about coca cola, mc donalds, chips, cheese dip, and bacon. Tax the heck out of it because it kills people and cost tax payer money.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Well then Im an outlaw. Because Ive been to several restaurants that allow it. Oops to them, good for me!

But I think your wrong.

GEORGIA A WINEDOGGYBAG STATE
Senate Bill 55 has been put into law allowing restaurant patrons to remove, for off-premises consumption, a resealed partially consumed bottle of wine that was purchased with a meal provided the bottle is placed in a bag that is secured in such a manner that it is visibly apparent if the container has been subsequently opened or tampered with.

A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Article 1 of Chapter 6 of Title 3 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to general provisions relative to wine, so as to authorize restaurant patrons to remove for off-premises consumption a resealed partially consumed bottle of wine that was purchased with a food item; to amend Article 11 of Chapter 6 of Title 40 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to miscellaneous provisions of the uniform rules of the road, so as to provide that a resealed partially consumed bottle of wine that was purchased with a food item is not an open alcoholic beverage container for purposes of the prohibition against possessing an open container of alcohol in the passenger area of a motor vehicle; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.
I stand corrected.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitram4891 View Post
I feel the same way about coca cola, mc donalds, chips, cheese dip, and bacon. Tax the heck out of it because it kills people and cost tax payer money.
Yes. We know that big macs kill people everyday when they get behind the wheel or make someone beat or abuse someone. We know that big macs cause lung cancer. Apples/Oranges.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
It makes sense if you look at it from a financial stand point. As is with many laws, the real reason for the law is that sombody profits from it. You pay about three times as much for that bottle of wine in a restaurant. Guess who supports the no Sunday sales?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:

But I think your wrong.

GEORGIA A WINEDOGGYBAG STATE

JJ is correct on this one.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Its ok to raise taxes on something that you don't like, but what if they raise the taxes on something you like?
Be careful, if you raise taxes too much you create a black market.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Admin

Quote:
Yes. We know that big macs kill people everyday when they get behind the wheel or make someone beat or abuse someone. We know that big macs cause lung cancer. Apples/Oranges.
Same/Same. Just different oxen being gored.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Do you have the same opinion on gun control? Guns lead to many abuses that cause deaths every single year. Do we need to raise taxes on guns to offset those people who are shot by them and need public funded healthcare? Should we tax the heck out of ammunition as well? Should we make it harder for people to purchase guns by saying they can't buy them on Saturday? How about Monday or Friday?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Do you have the same opinion on gun control? Guns lead to many abuses that cause deaths every single year. Do we need to raise taxes on guns to offset those people who are shot by them and need public funded healthcare? Should we tax the heck out of ammunition as well? Should we make it harder for people to purchase guns by saying they can't buy them on Saturday? How about Monday or Friday?
A firearm is just a tool built to do a specific job, it does not have the ability to chemically alter your behavior. Alcohol is a vice and when consumed in varying quantities very much alters one ability to think and function clearly, resulting in un-intended consequences, most of the time with a firearm. That said, I'll go on record by saying that, as an ordained Baptist deacon, i personally have no problem with the Senate's vote today. I think it should be left up to the people of the communities to decide for themselves, just as I think it should be left up to churches to decide for themselves whether or not to allow firearms in their sanctuaries, not have it mandated to them by the state government.

.....and no, I do not consume alcohol.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM1 View Post
A firearm is just a tool built to do a specific job, it does not have the ability to chemically alter your behavior. Alcohol is a vice and when consumed in varying quantities very much alters one ability to think and function clearly, resulting in un-intended consequences, most of the time with a firearm. That said, I'll go on record by saying that, as an ordained Baptist deacon, i personally have no problem with the Senate's vote today. I think it should be left up to the people of the communities to decide for themselves, just as I think it should be left up to churches to decide for themselves whether or not to allow firearms in their sanctuaries, not have it mandated to them by the state government.

Have any facts to back up that statment?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfiii View Post
Same/Same. Just different oxen being gored.
I knew we could agree on something!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM1 View Post

Although we probably disagree on a lot of issues, I respect the fact you support the right of individuals to make their own decisions. I will cheers your diet coke