GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Swap and Sell > Swap and Sell Feedback & Discussions

Old 04-13-2011, 10:48 AM

Default Just a rant about "offers"

Pardon me while I vent:

Folks, it drives me nuts when somone emails me an offer on a gun.....then they vanish.

It really creates problems for other people who contact me about the gun for sale. Especially when I send an email back to the "First Offer" saying I'll accept.

If you make an offer, be ready to back it up. From now on, everything I offer on Swap/Sell is FAIR GAME, until someone arranges a meeting.

I try to treat people right and if someone makes an offer, I expect them to keep their word.

Silly me.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Amen to that.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:07 AM

amen
Old 05-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Banned

Works both ways --my last two encounters on S&S have been with sellers where e-mail was sent within hour of the post, including one "I'll take it" -- so no dickering --- and I've heard exactly Butkus for both (days later).
Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 PM

I now put my phone # in the ad. I guess I'll see how that works out.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 AM

Phone numbers dont work either, I feel the same way the OP does. I had a litter of pups on the forum and the Market Place for free, I had every tom dick and harry in GA call me and tell me they wanted one and would be there to pick them up. Out of 7 pups and 6 Members that called only 1 man showed up to look at the pups, picked 2 out and STILL never came back to get them. The others just keept coming up with excuse after excuse of why they could not get here, but they would be up later. I will never give pups away again on GON. To many tire kickers and kids with cell phones.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:33 PM

I learned my lesson on here early!
Old 01-06-2012, 02:42 PM

THE worst swap and sell forum on the net.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:23 AM

ive had good luck and bad.....
Old 02-27-2012, 03:02 PM

I have bought and sold a number of items (guns,
climbing stand, etc.) no problems!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 AM

You know what............ as sad as it is, I have to say I know someone that does that.

My oldest brother will call, email and talk crap to people about cars they are selling and leads them to think he is going to buy. But he never does.

He talked to one woman for over two months about some - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - she was selling for cheap and he would say things like how great a deal it is and such.......

So, one night I am at his place and when he gets off the phone, I tell him to get his shoes, we'll go get it right away-- I would take him. Well, he can't. He got no money and with upcoming bills, won't be able to buy it for another 4, maybe 6 paychecks.

Tht's when I spoke up and told him I have to deal with nitwits like him everyday and it takes my time, my money and tests my patience. If you ain't got money, DO NOT CALL. If you do have money, but really are not interested, DO NOT CALL. If you are just old and lonely, call a sex line, call a chat line, call the pope. But DO NOT DISTURB sellers.

I, too, have spent many hours watching the grass grow, waiting for clients and customers when I could be out there earning greenbacks.

I try to understand alot things, but some things just elude me.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
If you make an offer, be ready to back it up. From now on, everything I offer on Swap/Sell is FAIR GAME, until someone arranges a meeting.
That's the way I've decided to do it as well. The item will remain listed until it's picked up, I'll post meet pending, or something similar.

If you can't meet for a week and a half, I'm going to sell the item to the first person who shows up with money in hand.

Even more a personal pet peeve of mine - don't show up to the meet and try and haggle. If the item isn't substantially different from what was advertised, we agreed on the price before we agreed to meet.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Retired Moderator

Several years ago in the old swap and sell I had an item for sale worth a large amount. I was contacted by a buyer who said. I will meet you at your farm and buy the item. We set an exact time and I gave him exact directions.
The item for sale was 35 miles from where I live at another property
No call, no show.

Then the next day I get the most apologetic call you ever listened to explaining in agonizing detail the horrific set of circumstances that prevented him from showing up and making the purchase or even calling me.

Then dummy me allows the same thing to happen again a few days later.

That person is still a member here. I wouldnt cross the street to accomodate him.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:48 PM

Had some joker recently say he would for sure get a gun. He was out of town and turkey hunting nearby, said he call me as soon as he got done, he did, said he was about an hour away and he would call me when he got close for final directions. No call. Wasted a beautiful saturday afternoon on this peckerhead. You just dont do people like that. Selfish selfish selfish
Old 05-06-2012, 10:57 AM

I've had the same problem as a buyer! I've been told more than once by a seller, I can't meet you until such a time to get a call it's just been sold, with no chance to buy even with a arranged meeting. I understand people not showing up to buy but, if you tell me to wait and then sell it, what the?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:34 PM

how about i inquired about an item within an hour from the time it was posted. It was around 9pm . I spoke with the lady( she was super nice) i agreed to buy at what she was asking for the item (No Haggling because her asking price was fair and she said she was hurting for cash). I offered to come get it right then and she said since it was getting late lets just get together around 11am the next morning. I said thats fine and assured her i wanted it would have came when i hung up the phone but she wanted to wait until morning. The next morning i called her at 10:30 to get directions or arrange a meeting place to buy the item..GUESS WHAT SHE SAYS???? She said..i had someone call 1st thing this morning about it and i told them that you were coming at 11 to get it for my asking price and they offered me 25.00 more so i sold it to them already this morning........NEEDLESS TO SAY I WAS BESIDE MYSELF!!! I Guess bad business upsets me so bad because i EXPECT EVERYONE to conduct business the way i do!! THE RIGHT WAY!! If i ever tell anyone an "ILL TAKE IT" you can bet your life ill be there!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:42 PM

Default man i just read your avatar!! :biggrin3: LOL..

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbdawg View Post
I've had the same problem as a buyer! I've been told more than once by a seller, I can't meet you until such a time to get a call it's just been sold, with no chance to buy even with a arranged meeting. I understand people not showing up to buy but, if you tell me to wait and then sell it, what the?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44magpastor View Post
Pardon me while I vent:

Folks, it drives me nuts when somone emails me an offer on a gun.....then they vanish.

It really creates problems for other people who contact me about the gun for sale. Especially when I send an email back to the "First Offer" saying I'll accept.

I try to treat people right and if someone makes an offer, I expect them to keep their word.

Silly me.
I agree. Listed my camper on Saturday afternoon and had two men email me they would be at my house first thing Sunday morning. Arranged times and price for them and then both were no-shows.

Swap & Sell did work well for me though as I had 17 people email me and today a man bought the trailer. Think it (S&S) gave me a good place to sale the item.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:24 PM

Old saying in the used car bidness..."buyers are liars". If you ever been in sales for a living you know what I'm referring to.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Even more a personal pet peeve of mine - don't show up to the meet and try and haggle. If the item isn't substantially different from what was advertised, we agreed on the price before we agreed to meet.
Here here. had a guy drive a long distance and then try to haggle some more... I knew he had brought the full amount if he drove that long way. But then he kept on trying to get item for less. REALLY?!?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelshund View Post
Old saying in the used car bidness..."buyers are liars". If you ever been in sales for a living you know what I'm referring to.
I agree. EVERY one will be right back, just gotta go get the money, No one wants to admit they are broke. But then again, if you dont offer to buy, you dont have to admit you cant afford. I dont understand.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherAndTick View Post
Here here. had a guy drive a long distance and then try to haggle some more... I knew he had brought the full amount if he drove that long way. But then he kept on trying to get item for less. REALLY?!?
I know the feeling. I offered to drive almost all the way to meet a guy that wanted my rifle that I had listed for $425 but we agreed before to $400. On the way, my car broke down and I was parked along side the ride with no hope of getting the car working. The guy showed up and guess he knew that I was in a bind, having a long gun in my trunk and maybe having to get the car towed. He picked up the rifle and said the stock was too short and he could go $350!!! He did go up to $360 and then tried to slip a $50 bill in for a $100. Worst deal I've ever been on.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:57 PM

I tried it a few times and moved on...
Old 06-09-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44magpastor View Post
Pardon me while I vent:

Silly me.
I do all my online deals first one shows up with the cash gets it, and I don't haggle, it's priced to sell if I want to sell it.

I don't drive more than a half mile to a fast food restaurant parking lot near the house unless it's something they just have to pick up here, because I don't want people coming to the house.

I've waited far too long for folks who flaked out at the last minute, wanted to show up and give me half what I asked, or wanted to meet halfway between Savannah and Athens for a $100 item. No more.

I will say I've had only positive experiences on the swap and sell, it's Craig's List and others that bring the flakes.