GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Outdoor Facts, History, and Oddities of Nature


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #776  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Milkman's Avatar
Milkman Milkman is offline
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Walton County, Ga
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resica View Post
I'll tell you this, Elmira was the destination. The train had come from further south.
Just a guess, but with this clue I would say they came from the Old Capitol Prison near Washington DC.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves.
  #777  
Old 04-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Resica's Avatar
Resica Resica is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pa.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
Just a guess, but with this clue I would say they came from the Old Capitol Prison near Washington DC.
The prison was in Maryland.
  #778  
Old 04-18-2012, 08:44 AM
JustUs4All's Avatar
JustUs4All JustUs4All is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: McDuffie
iTrader: (15) Check/Add Feedback
Default

OK, I am going to guess Point Lookout again. If I keep giving that as an answer, sooner or later it has to be the right one.
__________________
Cop - 15 minutes -- 9mm - 1.5 seconds. Who will protect you until they come?
  #779  
Old 04-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Milkman's Avatar
Milkman Milkman is offline
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Walton County, Ga
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustUs4All View Post
OK, I am going to guess Point Lookout again. If I keep giving that as an answer, sooner or later it has to be the right one.
Yeah, what he said
__________________
"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves.
  #780  
Old 04-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Resica's Avatar
Resica Resica is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pa.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustUs4All View Post
OK, I am going to guess Point Lookout again. If I keep giving that as an answer, sooner or later it has to be the right one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
Yeah, what he said
That's it.
  #781  
Old 04-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Milkman's Avatar
Milkman Milkman is offline
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Walton County, Ga
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

What confederate officer was so obedient to his commanders orders that he rode 14 miles on horseback in a blinding snowstorm because his commander had sent him a note asking that he come see him when it was convienient.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves.

Last edited by Milkman; 04-18-2012 at 12:56 PM.
  #782  
Old 04-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Resica's Avatar
Resica Resica is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pa.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
What confederate officer was so obedient to his commanders orders that he rode 14 miles on horseback in a blinding snowstorm because his commander had sent him a note asking that he come see him when it was convienient.
Stonewall?
  #783  
Old 04-18-2012, 05:48 PM
JustUs4All's Avatar
JustUs4All JustUs4All is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: McDuffie
iTrader: (15) Check/Add Feedback
Default

That sounds just like him.

Imagine how the War might have been different in the West if Pope had treated Bragg the same.
__________________
Cop - 15 minutes -- 9mm - 1.5 seconds. Who will protect you until they come?
  #784  
Old 04-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Milkman's Avatar
Milkman Milkman is offline
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Walton County, Ga
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resica View Post
Stonewall?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustUs4All View Post
That sounds just like him.

Imagine how the War might have been different in the West if Pope had treated Bragg the same.
Indeed it was Jackson and of course his commander was Lee. From what I read Lee reminded him that it was not urgent and he had sent word to come when it was convenient. Jackson replied something like " Sir your slightest thought is an urgent order for me"
Jackson demanded the same from his subordinates as well. He was known to put all officers from entire brigades under arrest for failure to follow orders exactly.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves.
  #785  
Old 04-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Milkman's Avatar
Milkman Milkman is offline
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Walton County, Ga
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

here is a question I plagiarized from another website. I don't remember ever reading of this one.

--------------------------------------------------

The war's most striking victory in consideration of lost resources was the Confederate victory at ___________.
Capt. Richard W. Dowling , defending with 43 men and 6 cannon, held of a Federal force of 15,000 troops.

Fill in the blank with [1] Choctaw Bluff, Miss. [2] Point Clear, Ala. [3] Sabine Pass, Tex. [4] Alexander Ferry, Tenn
__________________
"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves.
  #786  
Old 04-22-2012, 01:38 PM
RBM's Avatar
RBM RBM is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Central Florida
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I think I read something about this when I was looking at Texas battles (the last battle of the WFSR, Palmetto Ranch) but I'm not sure or don't recall so this is a wild guess. #3
__________________
- Robert
  #787  
Old 04-22-2012, 03:06 PM
JustUs4All's Avatar
JustUs4All JustUs4All is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: McDuffie
iTrader: (15) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Sabine Pass.
__________________
Cop - 15 minutes -- 9mm - 1.5 seconds. Who will protect you until they come?
  #788  
Old 04-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Milkman's Avatar
Milkman Milkman is offline
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Walton County, Ga
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBM View Post
I think I read something about this when I was looking at Texas battles (the last battle of the WFSR, Palmetto Ranch) but I'm not sure or don't recall so this is a wild guess. #3
Good guess............ Sabine Pass indeed. Now its your turn Robert.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves.
  #789  
Old 04-22-2012, 07:43 PM
RBM's Avatar
RBM RBM is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Central Florida
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Okay. We are going back on the water for this one.

The final Confederate surrender took place on November 6, 1865 in Liverpool, England aboard what ship? This surrender brought about the end of the Confederate Navy. This ship had circumnavigated the globe, the only CSN ship to do so. She was a screw steamer, full rigged, iron-framed, and turned over to British Government. Officially a Wooden Cruiser in the same class of ships as the Alabama, Sumter, and Florida.

Answers to make it easier.

A) CSS Tallahassee B) CSS Shenandoah C) CSS Alexandra D) CSS United States
__________________
- Robert

Last edited by RBM; 04-22-2012 at 08:18 PM.
  #790  
Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 PM
RBM's Avatar
RBM RBM is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Central Florida
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

The answer is B) CSS Shenandoah.

What battle took place in Tennessee that ended in a loss for Confederate forces in April of 1862?

This battle saw Confederate forces poorly armed with shotguns, hunting rifles, pistols, flintlock muskets, and a few pikes other than two regiments that had Enfield rifles.
__________________
- Robert
  #791  
Old 04-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Milkman's Avatar
Milkman Milkman is offline
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Walton County, Ga
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Here is an easy one to help us old timers who cant remember .................... now what was I typing for.

Oh yeah.

What battle was fought with many of the elite citizens of a nearby city watching for entertainment ???

These same citizens had to share a road a bridge with the retreating defeated troops during and after the battle.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves.
  #792  
Old 04-23-2012, 07:06 PM
RBM's Avatar
RBM RBM is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Central Florida
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman
What battle was fought with many of the elite citizens of a nearby city watching for entertainment ???

These same citizens had to share a road a bridge with the retreating defeated troops during and after the battle.
1st Manassas
__________________
- Robert
  #793  
Old 04-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Milkman's Avatar
Milkman Milkman is offline
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Walton County, Ga
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Yes it was Manassas.....
__________________
"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves.
  #794  
Old 04-23-2012, 07:16 PM
RBM's Avatar
RBM RBM is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Central Florida
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBM
What battle took place in Tennessee that ended in a loss for Confederate forces in April of 1862?

This battle saw Confederate forces poorly armed with shotguns, hunting rifles, pistols, flintlock muskets, and a few pikes other than two regiments that had Enfield rifles.
The battle was named after a nearby church. It also saw the loss of a Confederate General and a Federal Major General. Can you also name the Federal Major General that was killed? This was a major battle.
__________________
- Robert
  #795  
Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Milkman's Avatar
Milkman Milkman is offline
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Walton County, Ga
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBM View Post
The battle was named after a nearby church. It also saw the loss of a Confederate General and a Federal Major General. Can you also name the Federal Major General that was killed? This was a major battle.
You are speaking of the Battle of Shiloh. The good guys lost Albert Sydney Johnston. The federals lost General Wallace. The federals named the battle after a port on the river called Pittsburgh Landing.
I haven't searched but we did some questions on this battle in this thread I think. If not it was in an earlier one.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves.
  #796  
Old 04-23-2012, 08:17 PM
RBM's Avatar
RBM RBM is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Central Florida
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman
You are speaking of the Battle of Shiloh. The good guys lost Albert Sydney Johnston. The federals lost General Wallace. The federals named the battle after a port on the river called Pittsburgh Landing.
I haven't searched but we did some questions on this battle in this thread I think. If not it was in an earlier one.


On both questions. Over to you, Marvin. Ironic that Shiloh means "place of peace" in Hebrew isn't it? There was no peace at Shiloh Church in 1862.
__________________
- Robert
  #797  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Milkman's Avatar
Milkman Milkman is offline
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Walton County, Ga
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Name a very high ranking Union Cavalry officer who was captured during Sherman's Ga campaign.

He and Thomas J. Jackson were cadet room-mates at West Point

For an extra cigar where was he captured?
__________________
"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves.
  #798  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Resica's Avatar
Resica Resica is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pa.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

George Stoneman. The other side of the river from Macon?
  #799  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Milkman's Avatar
Milkman Milkman is offline
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Walton County, Ga
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resica View Post
George Stoneman. The other side of the river from Macon?
Stoneman it was.............. and yes north of Macon. His command was doomed after being repelled at Macon. His raiders were even repelled at the Oconee/Clarke county line by a group of home guard. All but one company of the 1200 men who left to make a big circle around Atlanta were lost on this raid.

I attended an event Sunday where the author of "Sherman's Horsemen" spoke.

Yep another book to read now.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves.
  #800  
Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Resica's Avatar
Resica Resica is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pa.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
Stoneman it was.............. and yes north of Macon. His command was doomed after being repelled at Macon. His raiders were even repelled at the Oconee/Clarke county line by a group of home guard. All but one company of the 1200 men who left to make a big circle around Atlanta were lost on this raid.

I attended an event Sunday where the author of "Sherman's Horsemen" spoke.

Yep another book to read now.
After I answered "the other side of the river" , I looked and saw that it was 7 miles north of Clinton at Sunshine Church. I wonder if Old Clinton BBQ was there back then.
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger