How many here like to bass fish with a fly rod ?

duckbill

duckbill, how come you haven't been posting up any big bream stringers like usual???
I'm missing those pics.

I need to get busy, don't I? :D . I've caught quite a few but didn't get pics. They start getting a lot more aggressive down here in May.
I enjoy seeing bream pics myself;) .

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I use my 5-6 wts, but since I got that 3 wt, I haven`t touched them. I catch mine mostly by accident while I`m usin` a poppin` bug or foam spider for bream. I done fell slam in love with that 3wt. :D

Anvil Head

Dog days bucket mouths are a hoot on lighter rods. I use the larger
froggy style poppers (cuts down on the dink bream). Ease up into the live feeder creeks on any of the bigger lakes and work the wood and rocks slow and deliberate like, even the small stickups. Lots of big bass prefer skinny fresh water over the deep rocky points (not so much boat traffic either). Have caught them way up into noon:30 in the creek mouths. Also the bigger poppers pick up the worthy bluegills and crackers.
Farm ponds are even more exciting.....bass in them go nuts over a froggy.

Nuther tip: Don't throw away the worn out froggys or any other med/large popper. Great for "poorman's tarpon", which can extend your action on past noon. Gar will get more topwater active the hotter it gets. Catch them coming right at you or quartering towards you. Cast behind them then strip it right across their nose. They will instinctively slap/snap at it and you hook about every 3rd one (or lasso them). Good fight and they will actually porpoise on a flyrod - kind of a modified jump. Good way to get the last bit of goody out of an old popper.

Attachments

• CarlGAR2.jpg
    CarlGAR2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 527

F.A.R.R.

I do allot of bream fishing with foam spiders, and bully spiders-this is allot of fun especially when they are on bed. But what is really fun is when a nice bass takes the bream fly on a 3 or 4 weight.

Sometimes I target bass with a 7 or 8 weight to handle the bigger popping bugs and larger flies this is allot of fun also but a 7 or 8 weight is a pretty hefty tool for bass in the 1-3 lbs range and thats what I normally get. To me its more fun to catch the "accidental" bass on the little rods while bream fishing.

tashwoo

first bass on a fly rod. nothing like a nice bass on a 5wt

Attachments

• IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 451

Anvil Head

Nice!