GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Spiritual Help and Religion Discussions > Spiritual Discussions and Study

Old 04-26-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntinfool View Post
So, then, it's ok to spend the money for the flight for the first person to go and be there. What about the second? The third??
Yes. Maybe. Maybe.

Quote:
I assume, at some point, we start to see diminishing returns from sending the next person over? How do we know when we've reached that point?
Yes. When the overall mission becomes hindered. Remember, I do not see it from a one man perspective, but a global perspective.

Quote:
What about the restoration of those who are there long-term? Any value in sending people short-term to "relieve them", give them some one on one encouragement and help them get bigger projects done more quickly?
Absolutely! But, this is before the diminishing returns, and a necessary part of the process.

Quote:
Any personal value to those who go short-term?
Yes.

Quote:
How do you feel when you know you've really helped meet someone's need? Is it a different feeling than had you given them money to solve their own problem? Do you think that feeling is an accident?
When I help somebody, I feel as if I am doing my job. I help as often as I can, but I should do more. When I do help somebody, I always feel very strange when they say "thanks." I don't like it. I feel it is our job to help. And, ultimately, I am not serving the individual, but God.

It is a different way of looking at it, but I have spent a long time "getting dirt under my nails" on domestic "missions." I feel very strongly about service, and feel miserable when I am not serving in one way or the other. But, I do not do it for the thank-you's. It makes me very uncomfortable because I do not see it as a personal accomplishment, but instead, part of the priviledge of being a Christian.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:26 AM

JB,

I think this is just one of those issues where you and I don't see eye to eye.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
JB,

Could be, but I don't see that we are disagreeing too much either. We just emphasize different parts of the process.

Either way, it's good to kind-of but heads again
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Ol' Retired Mod

Quote:
JB,

I think it's perfectly acceptable for you two to disagree.
It isn't important that the two of you be God's stewards in the same way.
Neither of you are wrong. You're both right.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:13 AM

Ronnie....I thought I told you this already.

I'm always right. JB (and anybody else who disagrees with me) is always wrong. Can we sticky this or something? People seem to keep getting confused on the rules.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:49 AM

You just need to do what you feel led to do. If that is to give, then do it. What or how they spend the money on is between them and god. But, you did what you were supposed to do and it's out of your hands.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:59 AM

Went to Peru on a mission trip in 2010. I guess you could call it a vacation since I took my one and only paid vacation week of the year to go. Was really eye opening and I doubt I slept 15 hours the whole trip because we were so busy doing ministry. I can definitely see a concern of funding people who might be looking for a free ride or who might have the wrong motives for going, we had a large group that went with us and i'm sure there were a few who were just along for the ride and didn't really care about spreading the Gospel. As mentioned already prayer about the individuals will let you know to give or not give. God is certainly capable of turning their own hearts towards him and his work.