GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Georgia Coastal Fishing

Old 04-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Default knot so simple?

i appreciated the good advice i got here a couple months ago about the cracked/broken guide windings on my favorite inshore rod. i just got it back, put a new reel on it and 250 yds or so of fireline; headed for st joe in a few days...
so here is my question about knots. im tired of tying uni to uni knots with doubled braid and flourocarbon leader; i'm suspicious of them breaking to often anyway. so with my bad up-close vision, i've taken to tying a single uni with my braid doubled and fc laying beside it, pulling the 2 or 3 foot leader thru each time.does any body else do this or have another simple solution?
at home i tied my first couple of albrights, one w 10 wraps of double braid, wich i thought might be easier w 5 wraps since the line is doubled. not sure about tying this on a moving boat.BTW-anybody ever bust off a leader and not be in hurry to re-tie? only if i have redundant rods on board!
are my leaders to strong if the knot consistantly breaks first when hung on oyster?
at the other end of leader, i tie the DOA loop knot wich is very easy to tie almost blind, in a hurry, and not use up precious inches off the end.it's two small loops,one stuck thru the other, tag end thru eye,and back thru loop. it a actually a bowline knot, i like it cause it turns the tag end back toward jig so it wont pick up debris. any body got thoughts on this knot?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 PM

I have used the uni to uni for tying braid to flouro for years with no problem with knot failure. I have tried all brands of braid but only been satisfied with Seaguar flouro. I do not double my braid. I use 30lb braid and 20lb flouro or 20lb braid and 15lb flouro on my inshore rigs. I usually only get broke off from not being able to turn the fish away from structure quick enough or from being lazy and not checking my leader for nicks. I use the same loop knot as you do.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 PM

I have had more luck with blood knots instead of Uni's. Lost 2 good fish with the Uni and haven't lost one due to the blood knot.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:54 AM

i use the uni with no problems. 6 wraps main line, 4 wraps leader. do not double the line. you may want to learn the surgeons knot. it is easier but slightly bulkier.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 AM

i'm likin what i'm hearin, thanks to all-
i also saw a 'reverse albright' described in a new pack of power pro. that looks pretty simple, as does the uni-uni without doubling the line. just the kind of input i was hoping for; thanks again! i'll hope to put them all to test this coming week!
and don't stop here; keep it coming-
Old 04-26-2012, 12:28 PM

I like the Seaguar knot for joining braid to Flouro.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:09 PM

I've always used uni-uni with double braid on my trolling rods, 80# floro snell on big hooks, and palomar on everything else. Once I learned I could snell 80# floro I threw away my crimping pliers. Once I complete the snell wrap, I hang the hook on a boat cleat, grab the short end with hemostats, the long end with my hand, and pull in opposite directions to snug it down. Haven't stuck a hook in my hand since using this technique.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:36 PM

i use braid mainline with cajun or other co-polymer line.

ive always used an albright knot with 20 turns on the braid. half hitch as a backup for the tag to keep from backing into the knot.

never had a problem. pulled in big fish and rays on an inshore rod with 20# braid.

HTH
Old 04-29-2012, 09:20 AM

uni uni here too.
lost many a big fish to oysters cuttin leaders up but always have to cut the knot off to tie a freshy!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 PM

i appreciate all the input.
after a week's fishing, i,ve decided to stick with that reverse albright. it's very quick and easy to tie and lines up very straight and i broke off a couple loop knots before it gave,
thanks again and good fishing!