GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Freshwater Fishing

Old 04-25-2012, 01:03 PM

Did you get out yet,BB??
Old 04-25-2012, 01:28 PM

Yes, out now with my friend Bill Vanderford
Old 04-25-2012, 01:31 PM

Good. Was gonna tell ya to head this way.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:34 PM

Hope ya'll are doing better than we did this morning in that wind...Wind picked up on us around 10:30 or so and it was white capping up around Clarks Bridge...Hard to keep the boat straight with the bank...Anyways,got a 3 pounder out of the deal...Guess the fillets will be enoough for a small fish fry.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:50 PM

Well BB, I'm glad you got a hook wet. Pretty good luck to hook up with Mr. Vanderford, I'm sure he got you on the fish. Maybe next time I'll leave my boat at home and just hang out at the bait shop with you, kinda like when the pretty girl hitch-hikes while the guy hides in the bushes and only comes out when somebody stops, lol. I realize my early morning routine isn't for everybody, I just love to see the sun rise on the water. I'm going again friday if you wanna go, not sure where yet.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 PM

Default Thanks, Bill!!

Well.. mission accomplished! Legendary guide Bill Vanderford got a call on the BatPhone..I mean FishPhone and heard I was hanging around the corner bait store trying to thumb rides.. LOL.. no, my buddy, Larry called and asked if he was out and he had just put in to do a little scouting for his trips tomorrow. He had just returned from Houma Louisiana where he was fishing and writing about fishing for redfish.
Bill hadnt been on Lanier since I had and that was the tourney.
Now we all know the crazy weather we have been having..and whether or not its effecting the fishing...

All I can say is it was a little different day for us today than the first time we went out together.. and caught 45!
The water temp didnt get above 64 that we saw except in one cove. The coves is where we found them today. We fished from 12:30 - 4. We boated seven fish and below are the three keepers. Fishstache!! It was weird fishing with a bum finger but I did ok!
It felt great to be out there today. This injury has made me realize how very important fishing is in my life and how it keeps my world in balance.

Bill V knows absolutley everything there is to know about Lake Lanier, I mean he's been guiding on it since 1971!! Hello, legend! Want to hear some awesome stories about the sport, or people of bass fishing, or fishing with presidents, book a trip with Bill Vanderford. Its crazy how many people he knows and has fished with.

Cuda, Todd, Larry, how did ya'll do today? Let me know if youre on the water again anytime soon..hint, hint. Thanks for trying to get me out there today. And big thanks to Bill for swinging round to get me.
Attached Images

Last edited by bayoubetty; 04-26-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubetty View Post
Cuda, Todd, Larry, how did ya'll do today?
Took my inlaws out for thier first time in a boat, first time using rod and reels, etc, etc. It was an interesting day..... Tried some new spots but only boated 2 cats. Never saw temps over 66 where we were at. Good day though, and they lasted longer on the water than I expected. I'm headed to a new pay pond today for some bank relaxing. Supposed to be some nice sized cats in this little pond.

Last edited by cuda67bnl; 04-26-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubetty View Post

Bill V knows absolutley everything there is to know about Lake Lanier, I mean he's been guiding on it since 1971!! Hello, legend! Want to hear some awesome stories about the sport, or people of bass fishing, or fishing with presidents, book a trip with Bill Vanderford. Its crazy how many people he knows and has fished with.
Bill is a great guide and great friend. (Plus he loves race cars! ) His know how on matters of fishing and Lanier tips are outstanding. He is also into the eco-system and does trips for general facts and wildlife information.
As to stripers, his swirlybird lures were a big help to me when I had a boat & fished the cold months of winter. Overall, I've learned much from him on fishing the lake and I look ahead one day to boat/fish them stripes again soon.
I caught my biggest spot on a trip with my dad and Bill a few years back.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda67bnl View Post
I'm headed to a new pay pond today for some bank relaxing. Supposed to be some nice sized cats in this little pond.
I heard the one next to WCWD has some monsters in ti? Is this the paylake you are talking about? If so let me know , I been thinking about a relaxing evening with the gf there too!

BB, looks like that injury ain't hurting your skill too much! glad you got a ride!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazywayne View Post
I heard the one next to WCWD has some monsters in ti? Is this the paylake you are talking about? If so let me know , I been thinking about a relaxing evening with the gf there too!
That's the one, and yes, it has some monsters. I watched it being stocked today, then fished it. I personally put a 42 pounder in the water. I'm gonna make a post about the place later tonight, so look for it.........
Old 04-27-2012, 07:35 AM

Thanks for ya'll's reports and funny stories! Im excited about getting after some cats soon!
Im in New Orleans now for Jazz Fest..bout to hit the fairgrounds in a few..hope everyone fishing this weekend has a great catch!!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:38 AM

Default 2nd time out..no charm.. Finger still on mend :)

I'm back and I made it out to Oconee much later than I expected yesterday. The bite was gone by 9:30AM..according to a few others we saw on the water and that after 2 hours on the water, all I had to show for it was this little cat. Very purty cat..had to give a kiss for giving me a pull!
When I get back to Sugar Creek Marina I find the latest of LakeLife Magazine with my friend Bill Vanderford on the cover and a great article he wrote inside about what a magical place Oconee is for fishing. Bill even gives a shout out to my friend Larry Foster in the article. So if you are around Lake Oconee, pick it up!
Attached Images

Last edited by bayoubetty; 05-03-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the shout out for both of us Jenn. Bill has been a good friend and fishing partner for years. I'm also looking forward to fishing the fall tournament with you at Oconee. We'll give it our best. It's a nice time of the year and I know all will enjoy.